GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

When I first heard about this, I was open minded. But as I read more, less and less I like it. The trailer just did opposite from wanting to have me watch the film.
And I was hoping at least this was years later after the real Ghostbusters had saved New York twice and this just happens to be a girl team, maybe even one of thier daughters or something. But nope, its more saying that the originals never happened. I don't like that.

Ultraman looks like a better movie at this point. Sadly this thing will still make money but I'm not sure it's going to be the super hit they were hoping it would be, the hate towards it seems to have grown since the trailers came out. Even folks who were staunch defenders seem to be scratching their heads. Makes me wish they'd made more GB games with the original cast before we lost Egon.

One thing I have noticed even with good movies is that making good trailers has become a lost art just like making good movie posters. It used to be the trailers would draw you in and want to learn more but now either they're just badly made and put you off the film or they give away the entire story giving you no reason to see it.

After watching the trailer again the other day (when a part of me died) I still dont get the logic behind the beginning of the trailer. It doesnt say if its a reboot, or a sequel or what. I know that we know its a reboot, but in order to draw fans in, what the hell are they thinking?

After watching the trailer again the other day (when a part of me died) I still dont get the logic behind the beginning of the trailer. It doesnt say if its a reboot, or a sequel or what. I know that we know its a reboot, but in order to draw fans in, what the hell are they thinking?

They are trying to have it both ways, marketing-wise.

But that's how trailers operate. Basically, the goal of most modern movie trailers is PURELY the first weekend box office. Get butts in seats in weekend one, figure you'll lose 50% of your revenue every weekend after that. So it's all about the initial weekend. Towards that end, you make what you think is the trailer that will most appeal to the bulk of audiences.

Want to know what movie studios think of the general public?

Watch a movie trailer. They're telling you who they think you are.

I've heard that Feig/McCarthy's Spy is actually really good and very, very funny. However, the trailer for it makes it just look like it's a "fatty-fall-down-go-boom" movie because that's all they really chose to focus on. Put simply, the people making trailers and approving these marketing strategies....assume everyone in the audience is a low-grade moron. Like the saying goes, these people assume that "You never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

I've heard that Feig/McCarthy's Spy is actually really good and very, very funny. However, the trailer for it makes it just look like it's a "fatty-fall-down-go-boom" movie because that's all they really chose to focus on. Put simply, the people making trailers and approving these marketing strategies....assume everyone in the audience is a low-grade moron. Like the saying goes, these people assume that "You never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

Spy is just like anything else McCarthy has released. Her "comedy just repeats itself throughout every movie so far. Think the first movie i saw her in was bridesmaids and from then on she just did the same which is a problem with alot of comedy actors lately.

I've been trying to watch spy. I can't take more than 20 minutes at a time because it's so stupid.
I've lost track at the amount of F bombs uttered. i've lost track at how many men have been killed violently. I'd lost track of how many people mcarthy threw up on (well, only one, but one was enough). if you think it looked stupid in the trailer, it's not that far off in the actual movie. My bad trailer to bad movie guess ratio has been pretty spot on recently.

maybe I should just binge watch the rest of it just to get through it...

All because I was told that I couldn't judge a paul feig movie based on it's trailer, and I needed to actually watch one of his movies to appreciate them.
Not so much.

But that's how trailers operate. Basically, the goal of most modern movie trailers is PURELY the first weekend box office. Get butts in seats in weekend one, figure you'll lose 50% of your revenue every weekend after that. So it's all about the initial weekend. Towards that end, you make what you think is the trailer that will most appeal to the bulk of audiences.

Want to know what movie studios think of the general public?

Watch a movie trailer. They're telling you who they think you are.

While I agree with the first statement, I sort of disagree with the second part. I mean, youre right, but I feel as though sometimes the trailer makers/marketing people get it right, and its more on the company doing the marketing than all companies think American audiences are stupid. Now a days, I think its being lazy, and trying to make a trailer that caters to foreign box offices too, so the "fatty-go-boom" aspect is because it translates better. Granted its a lot less often then they get it wrong. Same thing with Austin Powers when it first came out. Thought the trailer was HORRIBLE, but then the movie ending up being quite funny. I thought the Godzilla trailer was awesome, and we all knew that was a turd (matthew broderick one) so while I dont think its impossible to get a good trailer/teaser made, you just need the right company/management to do it. Now movie posters on the other hand...total garbage now, its like they dont even care.

I find trailers from the 80s and even before to be so blah. Ever seen the original Star Wars trailer. It makes it feel like a typical space movie...but we know it ended up being so much more. Thats because so many movies didn't need to have an amazing trailer to draw people in as much. I think a lot ended up being word or mouth. Plus, the 80s had so many classic movies. Sometimes now it seems they put so much effort into making the trailer so big and flashy, they forget about the movie itself. A great trailer can also make a bad movie look really good. Which reminds me, back when I attempted college long ago, in a intro to film class, we had to talk about something from films for about 15 mins. I talked about the power of trailers, even brought in a few actual trailers to some films because I worked at a movie theater. (Still got some trailers to Star Wars Ep III) I wanted to reverse it. I took Jurassic Park and made a bad trailer in which it made the movie look boring and not epic at all.
As bad as this new Ghostbusters trailer is, I think they probably could have made it better, but then again, maybe the movie is really that bad and they did use the best shots.

Every time I watch that trailer a piece of my soul dies.

Maybe....you should stop watching it, then? :)

I find trailers from the 80s and even before to be so blah. Ever seen the original Star Wars trailer. It makes it feel like a typical space movie...but we know it ended up being so much more. Thats because so many movies didn't need to have an amazing trailer to draw people in as much. I think a lot ended up being word or mouth. Plus, the 80s had so many classic movies. Sometimes now it seems they put so much effort into making the trailer so big and flashy, they forget about the movie itself. A great trailer can also make a bad movie look really good. Which reminds me, back when I attempted college long ago, in a intro to film class, we had to talk about something from films for about 15 mins. I talked about the power of trailers, even brought in a few actual trailers to some films because I worked at a movie theater. (Still got some trailers to Star Wars Ep III) I wanted to reverse it. I took Jurassic Park and made a bad trailer in which it made the movie look boring and not epic at all.
As bad as this new Ghostbusters trailer is, I think they probably could have made it better, but then again, maybe the movie is really that bad and they did use the best shots.

Eh, I think every age has had its classics and its flops, and it's myriad mediocre movies in the meantime. I think there's also sort of two definitions of "classic." There's the version where a film is a timeless classic because it's not merely an exceptional entry in a genre from a particular film era, but also often because it's just a really well made film. But then there's the version that most people use which is "It's a movie I love that's 15-20 years old or older." Not necessarily the same thing.

Example: I know people who think Three Amigos is a classic. I think it's a really fun, funny film. I think it has some fantastic jokes and bits in it, and it's narratively a pretty well told story, too. Is it a classic in the sense of "An exemplary entry in the genre from a given time period, and a fantastically well made film"? Eh, I wouldn't go that far. It's fun. It's a good film. I can think of other comedies from the 80s that I'd consider a true "classic" (Ghostbusters among them).

As for trailers, to be honesty, I like watching them in the theater while resisting the urge to eat all my Sno Caps. Otherwise, meh, you can polish any turd enough to make a good trailer, and you can take any nugget of gold and smear it with a crappy trailer. With trailers, you really have to read between the lines to figure out if a film's worth watching.

I'm amazed that Hollywood's directors have not demanded more control over the trailer process a long time ago. So many directors make movies so different from how they are marketed. They can't expect to control every aspect of the marketing process but the trailers seem like a big glaring hole in their creative control over the project. It has a huge impact on the success of their movies/careers and the studios foul it up as often as not.

I think the audience has gotten more sophisticated than the trailer-makers realize these days. The directors probably know it.

Maybe....you should stop watching it, then? :)

Eh, I think every age has had its classics and its flops, and it's myriad mediocre movies in the meantime. I think there's also sort of two definitions of "classic." There's the version where a film is a timeless classic because it's not merely an exceptional entry in a genre from a particular film era, but also often because it's just a really well made film. But then there's the version that most people use which is "It's a movie I love that's 15-20 years old or older." Not necessarily the same thing.

Example: I know people who think Three Amigos is a classic. I think it's a really fun, funny film. I think it has some fantastic jokes and bits in it, and it's narratively a pretty well told story, too. Is it a classic in the sense of "An exemplary entry in the genre from a given time period, and a fantastically well made film"? Eh, I wouldn't go that far. It's fun. It's a good film. I can think of other comedies from the 80s that I'd consider a true "classic" (Ghostbusters among them).

As for trailers, to be honesty, I like watching them in the theater while resisting the urge to eat all my Sno Caps. Otherwise, meh, you can polish any turd enough to make a good trailer, and you can take any nugget of gold and smear it with a crappy trailer. With trailers, you really have to read between the lines to figure out if a film's worth watching.

Sno caps dude? And here I thought you were cool! ;)

Hell yes! I love me some Sno Caps at the theater! :)

Yes, but I would eat them all before the movie even started. One Great thing about working at a movie theater....finding unopened candy stuck in the seat....which was more frequent then you would expect given the prices.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back