GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

Right, at this point I think everyone seems to be in agreement on that. I'd say the major factors against it are the overarching lack of clear story/creative direction, and the general "same/but different" issue. The split pre-existing fan community is a potential strike against it, but not necessarily one that will matter enough in the long run. (I don't think

Overall, it sounds and looks fairly uninspired, and still falls into the "Why'd you bother?" category for me. But then, I'm almost certainly not the target audience.

All that said, I'd say it's a very safe bet that this film will be released to pretty solid success opening weekend. The numbers from that weekend and the second weekend performance (e.g., does it hold +50% of its 1st weekend box office take) will determine whether it's truly a success as a film. Even if it's a marginal success, though, I'd expect Sony to run with a sequel or two because...they need franchises.

Lastly, let's not forget that at least some elements can be "fixed" with editing. For example, the fact that they shoot a scene with Dan Akroyd saying "I ain't afraid of no ghosts WINK WINK" doesn't mean it might not still end up on the cutting room floor -- or that other "in-jokes" like that might not get cut if the studio thinks it's too self-referential.

Ghost grenades, and Chris Hemsworth's take on Janine springs into action via a stunt double:

2A94024400000578-3163684-Dream_team_Melissa_McCarthy_44_and_Kate_McKinnon_31_were_picture-a-41_1.jpg

2A94023A00000578-3163684-Game_face_Both_women_were_in_uniform_and_looked_like_hardcore_ex-a-43_1.jpg

2A8ACBBE00000578-3163684-Who_you_gonna_call_Chris_Hemsworth_s_stunt_double_filmed_scenes_-a-39_1.jpg

So has anyone seen the TV spots for the new Vacation movie? "So you want to recreate your vacation from 30 years ago?" "This vacation will stand on its own." Etc.

Got me thinking about the meta-humor that they may or may not include in the script, and what kind of call backs Reitman was pushing Feig for in their discussions. "I ain't afraid of no ghosts" is certainly in the same vein.

Re: Office Space and SNL, Mike Judge originally created the Milton character as an animated series of shorts that aired on SNL in 1991 (apparently the funny years!)

JLee, for the record I've unblocked your posts from my feed. Thanks for joining us over here - I like this discussion far better! Sorry for my part in the arguments on the other thread.

JLee, for the record I've unblocked your posts from my feed. Thanks for joining us over here - I like this discussion far better! Sorry for my part in the arguments on the other thread.

Well, I didn't put my best foot forward either. I suppose I can be on the pedantic side sometimes. More than willing to let bygones be bygones. :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and the cannon DOES look dumb. When the first pic came out, I was thinking maybe it was a spare part that was perched on top of the handle bars (because it looked like an exhaust)..but..uhh....why are you putting that thing on a dirtbike? You telling me that thing has no kickback?

Oh, and the cannon DOES look dumb. When the first pic came out, I was thinking maybe it was a spare part that was perched on top of the handle bars (because it looked like an exhaust)..but..uhh....why are you putting that thing on a dirtbike? You telling me that thing has no kickback?

LOL, maybe its a vacuum style weapon that sucks the ghost up, like the thing ECTO-1 had in the GB video game back in the day.

http://indierevolver.com/2015/04/17...plot-and-problems-of-paul-feigs-ghostbusters/

finally got around to the indie revolver article... sound pretty close to the initial outline to me. only without the electrocuted prisoner.
maybe the dance number still is in there heh. one can hope! it is now so close to the first movie..it's going to be a 'why bother' situation I think.

I think word of mouth will cause this to drop significantly among the fans of the original property and business will drop 50% in it's second week.

Great thread guys.

Seriously, this is what the first thread coulda/shoulda been! :)

RPFer faith RESTORED!!!

Meeeesa lika dees....

(Yeah I just went there.)

In case you didn't catch that... I'm comparing the Star Wars prequels to this "Ghostbusters" as far as capturing the SOUL and feel of the OT Star Wars trilogy.

(From what we've seen and read)

Search your feelings... You know it to be true.

:p

Last edited:
Westies14 already said it regarding the HQ, and I may imagine things but I think I wrote it, too, in that other thread, that what we have seen so far feels quite uninspired. If a movie like Ghostbusters needs something, then I think it is "inspiration", or has dealing with the occult become so trivial to us since we have seen an onslaught of ghost- and monster hunters in the past three decades?

or has dealing with the occult become so trivial to us since we have seen an onslaught of ghost- and monster hunters in the past three decades?

+1 I know I used to be spooked watching these shows, but then whe nyou read about them, and how most, if not all get faked, the spook factor goes away and they just kind of become background noise...

+2

Great point DFN.

I for one, would LOVE to be wrong about this movie...

It would be awsome if they could come remotely close to the original formula of creepy occult stuff, humor, yet kinda serious... Silly yet solid story...

Maybe us setting our bar soo low will help us accept and enjoy the movie?

(My bar of hope is VERY low though lol)

+1 I know I used to be spooked watching these shows, but then whe nyou read about them, and how most, if not all get faked, the spook factor goes away and they just kind of become background noise...

Got some news for you guys:

The production is casting metalhead looking extras and talent for a concert scene which they'll shoot at the Wang Theater this week or next.

The new ghost trap looks like an industrial-strength dustbuster and it straps onto the bottom of the pack with really strong/tight cables.

The script for Dan's scene simply has Erin hailing a cab, the cabbie asks where she's going. She tells him she's heading to Chinatown, and he just says "nah" and drives off, leaving her behind and throwing her hands up in the air. This, of course, translated to the "I ain't afraid of no ghost" dialogue with her yelling after him "That's a double-negative! That means you ARE afraid of ghosts!" :rolleyes

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back