Ant-Man (Post-release)

Saw it on the weekend. Not a lot of hype of buzz around the movie, but it was great fun! Marvel keeps deepening their field.

What bugged me was that Hank and Hope kept telling Cross that the Pym Particles were affecting his brain, but we never see him directly exposed to the formula throughout the movie. I guess Cross may have trained inside the suit and been exposed to it in that sense, but that was a bit of a hole they never explained. I didn't even think they needed to say Cross was acting crazy b/c of the formula, it would've been an easier explanation if he were just plain ol' greedy and being that close to the finish line made him crazier, ala Obadiah Stane.

We don't see that, no, but he was developing them and we also never see him using any kind of protection. I would've appreciated a scene where he's experimenting and inhaling some leftover fumes tho.

I enjoyed that subtle "tales of astonishment" reference.

I loved it and it was very natural, not forced at all.

Did you guys noticed that one of the buyers for the particle has a ten ring tattoo on the left side of his neck? Sweet reference to the fact that the real Mandarin is out there, as we saw in the one-shot All Hail the King. I loved the new female Wasp suit too, although I don't like the idea of a sleeveless fighting suit. Oh well, guess Hawkeye won't be the only one with the female sleeveless outfit anymore!

I want to see this but there is one thing deterring me. For those of you who may not like the kind of comic relief character Michael Pena plays, it's not too bad, is it?

I want to see this but there is one thing deterring me. For those of you who may not like the kind of comic relief character Michael Pena plays, it's not too bad, is it?

He's fine in this. I actually find Pena annoying in most of his roles but not so in this movie.

I don't really do reviews.. I'll just say I enjoyed the movie very much.. Much more than I had thought I would. My (non comic book reading) friends, however, thought it was.. less than good.
I wonder how many average movie goers had that same reaction?

My only real gripe with the movie is the "villain" was a bald white guy in a suit whose motive was... What again? Boring? Oh that's right.

Seriously Marvel, consult with DC to learn how to make great villains.

I don't really do reviews.. I'll just say I enjoyed the movie very much.. Much more than I had thought I would. My (non comic book reading) friends, however, thought it was.. less than good.
I wonder how many average movie goers had that same reaction?

My only real gripe with the movie is the "villain" was a bald white guy in a suit whose motive was... What again? Boring? Oh that's right.

Seriously Marvel, consult with DC to learn how to make great villains.

His motive was he wanted to make money/ a legacy by creating a militarized suit that shrinks. He only fought Ant Man because he was trying to steal the Yellow Jacket suit.

I saw it today with my boy and we both enjoyed it.

I am a little curious about the tank though, if shrunk objects don't have their original weight, but do have their original mass, surely every time he slung that keyring down he should have smashed the desk to pieces.

I am a little curious about the tank though, if shrunk objects don't have their original weight, but do have their original mass, surely every time he slung that keyring down he should have smashed the desk to pieces.

I think you mean volume and mass, but yeah -- my only rationalization is that it was an earlier/later experiment that reduced mass as well as volume.

--Jonah

I saw it today with my boy and we both enjoyed it.

Pym Particles. It's like The Speed Force. Mention it once, and you ain't gotta explain s*** after that.

Yeah, like Lex Luthor!

Exactly!

Lex Luthor is bald white guy in a suit who makes sense to me, and he makes a great villain. Lex Luthor is one of the most intimidating villains in the DC universe and he is just a bald white guy with no powers. What is Marvel doing wrong that DC is doing right?

Darren Cross is certainly not an entertaining villain. Just like Obadiah Stain wasn't an entertaining villain...and just like Justin Hammer and Mickey Rourke with electrowhips weren't entertaining villains.

I don't know if it's poor story telling or if they don't want to spend the time developing the antagonists, but it continues to be one of the biggest flaws in all the Marvel films to date in my opinion.

So my point, once again, Marvel: Consult with DC to learn how to make great villains!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back