ALIEN Ellen Ripley Costume Tutorial (Flight Suit, Shirt & EVA Flamethrower)

Re: ALIEN Ellen Ripley Costume Tutorial (Flight Suit & Shirt)

Ha ha ha. I swear I've seen that before, but I can't remember in what movie :)

-MJ

Ha ha ha. I swear I've seen that before, but I can't remember in what movie :)

-MJ

Couldn't resist! :p

And a few more photos from the actual event itself:

DSCF4033.JPG fkbRkZk.jpg aGRZuo4.jpg Vk6BqaB.jpg 6bs1vjX.jpg

There should be one of me and the UKCM floating about somewhere... hopefully that will surface soon so I can post it here too :)

Is that you and Michael Biehn?

I was at an event where Veronica Cartwright was the guest of honor... probably 2009? I do not believe she was available for autographs, however...

And we are gonna get a build log of your flamethrower, too, right? :)

-MJ

Is that you and Michael Biehn?

I was at an event where Veronica Cartwright was the guest of honor... probably 2009? I do not believe she was available for autographs, however...

And we are gonna get a build log of your flamethrower, too, right? :)

-MJ

Yes, one of the highlights of this year's Collectormania! He gave a thirty minute talk too, and confirmed his expressed interest in the future ALIEN 5. No confirmation yet though :p He's a lovely gentleman, genuinely dead pleasant even when I put him on the spot and asked him to draw me a picture of something, along with the autograph, haha.

Oooh, does she do conventions often? They seem to make very rare appearances... at least in Britain anyway and almost hardly at all in Scotland. Though I've been told Michael was actually scheduled in for the 2007 Collectormania or something like that but cancelled, and Lance Henriksen came along two years ago. Wish Glasgow would receive a bit more attention!

Of course! Will continue posting that tomorrow! :)

Cool!

I honestly don't know how often she does them... IIRC, it was the 30 anniversary of Alien, and there was a screening, and she went up on stage and gave a very brief recounting.... I haven't been to a con in a while.... That particular one was held in the middle of the US, not near a big city like LA or New York, but It's sort of equidistant from everyone. You may have to take the train into London for bigger celebrities.

I do have a few photos, mostly irrelevant (this particular con is a SF scale modeling con, mostly, but there are some excellent guests on occasion)...

-MJ

Attachments

• IMG_0170-A.jpg
    IMG_0170-A.jpg
    885 KB · Views: 176

I still need to paint over the Red and Blue stripes on the trainers, and try to glue the extra sole bit on the bottoms (Ripley's had an extra vibram type sole glued to the bottom of her trainers) I haven't worked out how I'm going to do that just yet.

Once all that is finished, I'm going to start on that crew shirt build... ;-)

Wow , inspirational work to others , anyone who can create props and costumes from Alien and Aliens , are a pleasure to see everytime...awesome Labor of Love

Cool!

I honestly don't know how often she does them... IIRC, it was the 30 anniversary of Alien, and there was a screening, and she went up on stage and gave a very brief recounting.... I haven't been to a con in a while.... That particular one was held in the middle of the US, not near a big city like LA or New York, but It's sort of equidistant from everyone. You may have to take the train into London for bigger celebrities.

I do have a few photos, mostly irrelevant (this particular con is a SF scale modeling con, mostly, but there are some excellent guests on occasion)...

-MJ

Yeah, it's pretty much a guarantee that the London conventions will always have the biggest names. From time to time though, they'll go to other big English cities like Birmingham... Hopefully they'll work their way up... It'd be nice to attend a big convention like that at least once!

Generally, I wish we had more conventions in Scotland. I think the concept of a convention is very much still developing here. They've always been on quite a small scale but recently have been receiving more popularity. Here's hoping we'll see something big in the next few years!

I still need to paint over the Red and Blue stripes on the trainers, and try to glue the extra sole bit on the bottoms (Ripley's had an extra vibram type sole glued to the bottom of her trainers) I haven't worked out how I'm going to do that just yet.

Once all that is finished, I'm going to start on that crew shirt build... ;-)

OH MY GLOB, that's fab! The photos are a fantastic quality, huge thanks for sharing! They've also got me really intrigued - what are those panels at the waist? I've never seen a G-4B with those gaps (or did I just miss it during my research)? And any chance you could take a photographs of the cuffs (I'm just curious), the back lacing detail and the lower leg/extender pockets? I wouldn't mind seeing the inner leg zips too... just so much excitement right now!

Looking forward to what else you do to it! You should start a thread or just post it here! Thanks again! :D

there are a couple more snaps that I took this morning that might help you...

Let me know if you need some more. I'll take some shots of the unrolled cuffs for you, and see if I can get some shots of the inner zippers too.

I dunno what the cuts near the waist are for... they are only on that side, and look as if they are pass throughs for hoses or other flight related gear. If I don't wear a long enough vest underneath you could spy my knickers through them! :p

there are a couple more snaps that I took this morning that might help you...

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/kristenhenry700/20150824_090717_zpspduxq2cs.jpg

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/kristenhenry700/20150824_090755_zpsasnecg2x.jpg

Let me know if you need some more. I'll take some shots of the unrolled cuffs for you, and see if I can get some shots of the inner zippers too.

I dunno what the cuts near the waist are for... they are only on that side, and look as if they are pass throughs for hoses or other flight related gear. If I don't wear a long enough vest underneath you could spy my knickers through them! :p

Thank youuuu!! It's always super to have extra info on the actual suit, so if others intend to modify their jumpsuits like I did, there's plenty of references on hand to make it as accurate or similar as possible! :D Inner zips would be fab because there is so little information online about them and you hardly (or don't at all) see them in the film. I'm just curious at what angle they're at and what the spacing is between the pocket, extender and inner.

That is bizarre... I wonder what the costume team did to patch that over then... Would love to see some photos of you wearing it as well, provided that you cover up! lol, all the more reason to make the crew shirt ;)

WHAT'S A COSTUME WITHOUT ITS PROP?!

So, without further ado, I present to you photographs of how I built my certainly-not-screen-accurate-but-I-think-it-looks-the-part flamethrower, built mainly from EVA foam, a colossal amount of hot glue and a preexisting plastic toy gun my brother no longer wanted! Definitely will not be writing a tutorial on this because it's so shoddy but I thought I'd share for fun hahahaha maybe it could act as a guide for the most basic flamethrower out there looool

Aim:
View attachment 517999 View attachment 518000
I've seen that in person, at the Propstore London auction last year, and it's amazingly crude!

I've seen that in person, at the Propstore London auction last year, and it's amazingly crude!

For some reason I'm not so surprised? I suppose it probably needs to look like that considering Parker knocked it up within twenty minutes... Well, that's put me more at ease with my flamethrower! :)

Found it!

8jTaCMH.jpg

The Vasquez in the photograph is my friend Neet, who I mentioned at the very start of the thread who gave me the much needed advice and help to make the flight suit happen! :)

For some reason I'm not so surprised? I suppose it probably needs to look like that considering Parker knocked it up within twenty minutes... Well, that's put me more at ease with my flamethrower! :)

I remember it was made out of a lot of wood with a few greeblies stick on the side and painted white, and the sling mounts were just staples (the sort you’d find in any hardware shop) screwed on to the wooden top. The two grips were just cut from thin (about 8mm from memory) aluminium sheet, which looked very uncomfortable! The red tank is completely non-functional and as you can kind of see in the Prop Store photos you posted it’s mounted to the rest of the unit by the valve being clamped around a piece of hexagonal bar-stock stuck out the side. This was a functioning model, which was used in at least one of the scenes, and I’d be really curious to see if the other flamer props were as crudely made.

The funny thing about props is that they often look atrocious when you get up close, they just need to look good from a distance. This piece was only seen briefly on camera for the actual flame shooting scene, so it didn't need to hold up to much scrutiny and the prop maker could save time and cut some corners.

Here are a few more pics of the areas you requested. Sorry a couple of them are blurred slightly. My phone can't decide if it wants to focus or not apparently.

The inner zips follow the inseam exactly, and reach from crotch to hem.

There is a secondary short zip toward the front of the leg, against the lower pockets.

The wrist cuffs.

And then those weird side cuts:

I'll have to dig a bit to see what these are for, but I may just try to pull some material from inside someplace to cover over these on the interior.

Here are a few more pics of the areas you requested. Sorry a couple of them are blurred slightly. My phone can't decide if it wants to focus or not apparently.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/kristenhenry700/20150825_085634_zps4xh6ytft.jpg

The inner zips follow the inseam exactly, and reach from crotch to hem.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/kristenhenry700/20150825_085651_zpswdhanvyw.jpg

There is a secondary short zip toward the front of the leg, against the lower pockets.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/kristenhenry700/20150825_085729_zps8gthfd0k.jpg

The wrist cuffs.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/kristenhenry700/20150825_085754_zpsdxwb47qa.jpg

And then those weird side cuts:

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/kristenhenry700/20150825_085818_zpsskasnp1f.jpg

I'll have to dig a bit to see what these are for, but I may just try to pull some material from inside someplace to cover over these on the interior.

Thank you thank you thank you! It's interesting to see that even the wrist cuffs have extra material to help make them wider! I would have never though that! I also only just noticed that at the back, there are in fact 5 rows of loops, rather than the often shown 3! Great that you've opened up the back for us!
Covering it shouldn't be a problem, provided that it's the same material as you say :)

This might give you an idea of what it could be because it turns out, someone had already posted some fairly close up photos of a G-4A, which is quite similar! A few people are also comparing the ones they own too. I'm a little gutted I've found that thread so late on, as it would have been an invaluable help to how I went about transforming my jumpsuit! Oh well!

FLAMETHROWER BUILD - DAY 1 (14/8/15, CONT.)

3AQt7gA.jpg NT6JHH1.jpg pkIvbu3.jpg cVxt6m5.jpg GM0G6ZM.jpg ABjC9Sg.jpg ciqW4l3.jpg oQcRNyN.jpg EHSfqEe.jpg kpUcIVQ.jpg waJNmTg.jpg

Are the images clear enough? Or should I do a write up to accompany it...?

Thank you thank you thank you! It's interesting to see that even the wrist cuffs have extra material to help make them wider! I would have never though that! I also only just noticed that at the back, there are in fact 5 rows of loops, rather than the often shown 3! Great that you've opened up the back for us!
Covering it shouldn't be a problem, provided that it's the same material as you say :)

This might give you an idea of what it could be because it turns out, someone had already posted some fairly close up photos of a G-4A, which is quite similar! A few people are also comparing the ones they own too. I'm a little gutted I've found that thread so late on, as it would have been an invaluable help to how I went about transforming my jumpsuit! Oh well!

Yes... in one of those pics I can see that there is a fabric covered tube attached to the suit that likely passes through those cutouts. I wonder if the costume dept. for Alien patched over them on the inside? That's likely what i'll do if I can find a scrap of extra material inside someplace.

I dunno why there is an extra row of loops on the inner part of the back. Whomever had the suit before me cut the actual loops off, and they would really be redundant. Presumeably they are there to allow for looser lacing, but then you could just loosen the laces... so no clue why they are there, or why they are absent in pictures of other G4-B suits.

DAY 2 (15/8/2015)

6I9Pzto.jpg c0qGJlJ.jpg goBpf4g.jpg GZlMG1G.jpg

DAY 3 (16/8/2015)

jWC5iiD.jpg juZkkKl.jpg

DAY 4 (18/8/2015, 3 hours)

kpU6ccY.jpg DLXWB5K.jpg Jyr50uA.jpg WQ2eNfW.jpg x7jHuvX.jpg QnJx4Us.jpg I6p91XY.jpg Hosf3mp.jpg rb3tMXO.jpg HLYk8Jr.jpg k7FCt8P.jpg WT4xeyu.jpg 2WOBwcQ.jpg 5xlACuO.jpg JjeZKrU.jpg

Attachments

• 7W7uioJ.jpg
    7W7uioJ.jpg
    877.8 KB · Views: 134
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back