ALIEN Ellen Ripley Costume Tutorial (Flight Suit, Shirt & EVA Flamethrower)

Re: ALIEN Ellen Ripley Flight Suit: 90% DYE HELP?

I think the second option is the best one. As you said, since the pockets are not of the same fabric, it'll be tricky to match them with the rest of the suit.
Saying that, there's always alternative to try to match the fabric (paint comes to mind) but you got to be lucky to achieve the matching and, frankly, I think that the suit will be fine, even with the two-tone effect. ;)

I think the second option is the best one. As you said, since the pockets are not of the same fabric, it'll be tricky to match them with the rest of the suit.
Saying that, there's always alternative to try to match the fabric (paint comes to mind) but you got to be lucky to achieve the matching and, frankly, I think that the suit will be fine, even with the two-tone effect. ;)

Yeah, you're probably right on that one. Well, we'll just have to see how it goes when I start dyeing it, which will hopefully be tomorrow!

Sometimes mistakes turn out better than the original intention. By the time you've gone through dying it, stripping it, and re-dying it the material could take on more of a "worn" look. I wonder if there's any way you could mask the pockets and apply some kind of topical dye (or hell maybe even paint markers) to make them darker like the jumpsuit material, and then dye it all twords blue in one go. Either way I think you've done a heck of a job.

Sometimes mistakes turn out better than the original intention. By the time you've gone through dying it, stripping it, and re-dying it the material could take on more of a "worn" look. I wonder if there's any way you could mask the pockets and apply some kind of topical dye (or hell maybe even paint markers) to make them darker like the jumpsuit material, and then dye it all twords blue in one go. Either way I think you've done a heck of a job.

Fair point, I do hope the constant dyeing weathers the material a little. That would be nice after all the kerfuffle! Now that you mention darkening the pockets, I wonder if it might be possible to paint a wash of grey dye onto just the pockets before I, as you say, do a final dye towards the colour I'm aiming for... Think that would work...?

And thank you, thank you, thank you. Pleased to hear my first attempt at a costume isn't too awful!!

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Darken them up to look more like the greyish-tan color that the suit has on it now, and then do the final dye on the whole thing. It should look more consistent that way.

This is a great thread, I bet you're learning loads about altering/sewing. I'm having a go at my own Alien: Isolation inspired costume, but have gone with an unaltered surplus flight suit (nomex, possibly US?).

Just something worth mentioning about the eBay seller. I ordered the set with the pale blue Nostromo patches (apparently the correct ones for "outerwear"), but received the black ones. Wasn't the end of the world, so I didn't make a fuss, but it's worth double-checking/specifying.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Darken them up to look more like the greyish-tan color that the suit has on it now, and then do the final dye on the whole thing. It should look more consistent that way.

Right-o, shall try that. Fingers crossed it works to some degree!

This is a great thread, I bet you're learning loads about altering/sewing. I'm having a go at my own Alien: Isolation inspired costume, but have gone with an unaltered surplus flight suit (nomex, possibly US?).

Just something worth mentioning about the eBay seller. I ordered the set with the pale blue Nostromo patches (apparently the correct ones for "outerwear"), but received the black ones. Wasn't the end of the world, so I didn't make a fuss, but it's worth double-checking/specifying.

Thank you! You're definitely right on that one, learning more than I probably would have if I stuck to tote bags and cushions in my beginners' sewing book, haha! That's great, I love hearing about new Alien Isolation costumes being made, especially since it's still so recent! Will you make a thread on your progress? Would love to see what you're doing.

Sorry to hear that. I've had a pretty good experience from buying from them but accidents happen I guess. I also notice you're from the UK too, so you could easily return the item if the seller has made a mistake and you're still within the returns period?

THE WATCH

I realised I haven't written about this vital part of the costume yet, and I figured we needed a break from my dyelemma (I'll never tire of that pun).

004.jpgripleycostume5bls6.jpg joneswatchlo7.jpg 8c9adb9ae1c526fd76b5ccd2925dde9fdbcdc505_l.jpg

As you probably know, Ripley's (and Dallas's) watch is probably the hardest part to find or make. It's constructed from two Casio F-100 faces, connected together to form two parts and an underlying orange band that connects the two. (See Xenopedia’s article). Other than the obvious reason for it being so rare because us costumers/cosplayers and fans have bought twice as many as the average person would just to recreate our own replica props but also because of it's own importance in watch aesthetics. I won't bother to go into detail as it's all written here by other more knowledgable and eloquent folks. Naturally it’s become incredibly rare and at a price too (see this previous listing on eBay. Pretty sure it’s even higher now).

Now, first off, I fully appreciate prop making, the process of them and you talented people on this board that are detail eagles and make 100% screen accurate replicas. However, I'm not at a stage of collecting and shelling out vast amounts of money to have one. Nor do I have basic prop-making skills either or knowledge, so there wasn't a chance I could even attempt a fair one (and definitely not in the time bracket I originally set for myself). So I initially thought of just buying the more common (and cheap too, usually only sold for £10 or less on eBay) Casio F-91W or just omitting it entirely. I was happy enough with the costume.

Back in April/May when I was still researching into the franchise, the costume and pondering as to whether I really wanted to try my hand at a costume, I found this incredible blog. Other-Worlds had fully documented their process in making the original version, as well as an alternative Alien Isolation version; and better yet, it was only written a few months ago. The fact that this was written so recently made it even more exciting. Having read that, I felt really inspired but equally lost as to how I could even make an attempt to try something near it. So, on the verge of just admiring from a far and dreaming that I could one day in the far future make one, I hit a stroke of luck.

It turns out they recently started to sell them (1979 and AI). The usual few questions came to mind: do I really need it (Yes, if I'm going to make the costume), do I really want it (Yes, regardless of the costume) and obviously, could I afford it. The question of money hit hard because having read through the blog, seen how other prop-makers have shown off their copies and the prices they have charged for them, I was seriously worried it would be heading into the £50-80 price bracket, an amount I really didn't want to spend (as an art student, oil paint tends to away at your wallet). However, when I read more into it, I think my eyes popped out when I saw the price: £25 for the watch itself and with £5 P+P fees it took the total to £30. Never have I made a decision so quickly before.

An affordable, replica prop good enough for cosplay and even every day wear. Perfect.

Having emailed Tom, the incredibly talented individual behind this, a few times back and forth about which one suited me best, I opted for Amanda's version as it was better ergonomically* due to the velcro strap (as a petite female I have rather small wrists at just 6"!). Of course there are differences between the original but very very marginal (all detailed on the blog posts). Plus I may or may not be considering making Amanda’s costume next... In any case, I don’t think I could praise Tom enough for his generosity and help when I was buying and even afterwards, as he really inspired me to go ahead with making Ripley’s flight suit, and even provided me with a lot of help in seeking out the details too. Furthermore, he’s just been so kind in sharing his process, answering some of my other nosey questions and just being an all round star. So a massive shout out to you Tom!

And the part we've all been waiting for: the watch.

451T51C.jpg YjPmJMf.jpg ekWdNp9.jpg

I absolutely love the attention to detail, down to an instruction manual being included, for after all, it is a working piece.

kHpYJAS.jpg

And the watch itself, wrapped in delicate tissue paper that teases you with a few glimpses of whats inside.

CbNzsGH.jpg

And here’s some photographs of it alone and sitting on my wrist. I don’t have a macros lens so it’s the best I could get with my Olympus 50mm and digital Fuji lens.

QcGsUN6.jpg SAE6ZRL.jpg RUUrkBl.jpg gTZxqYK.jpg 2iLmGtD.jpg
JGPkvcD.jpg kigY4Lz.jpg utKm4wn.jpg

All in all, if you’re looking for an affordable replica, that actually functions as a watch too (that beeps, has an alarm setting, lap timer) and looks the part and is comfortable to wear and completes your costume, I highly recommend Other-Worlds’ Samani E-125 watches.

Tom is still working tirelessly to further improve it and hopes to launch a deluxe Ellen Ripley version for collectors in the near future. So keep an eye out. For now, he’s just posted this a week ago (at my request lool). He's also got other Alien/Aliens/Alien Isolation products for sale. Check it all out at their store.

Now I'm just desperate to finish my costume off.

---
EDIT:
*the original double Casios did not fit snugly on the casts' wrist. Notice how it's swivelled all the way over on Sigourney's wrist:
alien14.jpg
You can see this was a common problem due to the large straps they came with.

451T51C.jpg

YjPmJMf.jpg

ekWdNp9.jpg

kHpYJAS.jpg

CbNzsGH.jpg

QcGsUN6.jpg

SAE6ZRL.jpg

RUUrkBl.jpg

gTZxqYK.jpg

2iLmGtD.jpg

JGPkvcD.jpg

kigY4Lz.jpg

utKm4wn.jpg

004.jpg

ripleycostume3bxg9.jpg

ripleycostume5bls6.jpg

joneswatchlo7.jpg

8c9adb9ae1c526fd76b5ccd2925dde9fdbcdc505_l.jpg

alien14.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow, that watch is an awesome replica. I can't believe it works, too! Man, I wish that was my day job : /

So, uh, this occurred to me a while ago: could you remove the pockets from the exterior of the suit and sew them to the interior so that the new stitching still shows the shape of the pocket on the exterior? The more I think about it the more it seems like it would take a lot of time...

-MJ

Wow, that watch is an awesome replica. I can't believe it works, too! Man, I wish that was my day job : /

So, uh, this occurred to me a while ago: could you remove the pockets from the exterior of the suit and sew them to the interior so that the new stitching still shows the shape of the pocket on the exterior? The more I think about it the more it seems like it would take a lot of time...

-MJ

Yeah, it's fairly decent! Though because it's just for show after all, I wouldn't depend too heavily on it but it's certainly good enough!

I've considered that before but it would mean having to cut the original suit itself, and I'm not really confident with that. I've not even made a button hole before so I'm not really prepared to make a large opening. Plus, if I did that, there would be no going back as it will have been cut open; whereas if I made more pockets from different material, it wouldn't be too drastic a change. Additionally, it would mean sacrificing some of the detail (I really like the two rows of top stitching around zips and pockets) and it would be even less screen accurate, compared to having slightly two tone pockets. And generally, I don't think it would look as well because the pockets would be too discreet and weirdly inverted... And of course, there's time. It seems like a lot of effort and sacrifice in detail just to try and achieve one uniform colour...

To be honest, I think I've pretty much accepted the fact it will never be uniform because of the difference in material but I'm happy to try and make it less evident by following Grey's suggestion of giving the pockets a wash of dye before doing a full suit dye.

Fantastic work so far, and BTW thanks for the link to the watch replica! That is the one item of my Ripley that I didn't have.. so I've just purchased one from Other Worlds. I opted for the Amanda (as you did) because I think it will be much more wearable for me.

I was fortunate enough to have come across a real g4 suit ( I work in a surplus store in the States and one came in) so I didn't have to do any of the alterations that you've had to do... but I DID do a fair a mount of alteration to my PF Flyers to get them looking good. I should post a thread on it someday...

Also, I believe the flight officer insignia is meant to be an enamel pin... at least that is what mine was when it showed up. looking at the screen grabs it's hard to tell but I believe it's a pin and not a patch.

Yay, Ripley! I'll be watching this thread for more updates.. and thanks again for the tip on the watch :)

Fantastic work so far, and BTW thanks for the link to the watch replica! That is the one item of my Ripley that I didn't have.. so I've just purchased one from Other Worlds. I opted for the Amanda (as you did) because I think it will be much more wearable for me.

I was fortunate enough to have come across a real g4 suit ( I work in a surplus store in the States and one came in) so I didn't have to do any of the alterations that you've had to do... but I DID do a fair a mount of alteration to my PF Flyers to get them looking good. I should post a thread on it someday...

Also, I believe the flight officer insignia is meant to be an enamel pin... at least that is what mine was when it showed up. looking at the screen grabs it's hard to tell but I believe it's a pin and not a patch.

Yay, Ripley! I'll be watching this thread for more updates.. and thanks again for the tip on the watch :)

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your comment!

No problem on the watch. I'm happy to share what I've found and even happier to share Tom's product. It's a wonderful piece for a fantastic price - really hard to come by in a lot of props - and he's such a kind and talented person who needs to be known! The Amanda is definitely a good choice. Mine fits so snugly around the wrist! I'm sure you'll love it when you get it! Please take photos alongside your costume!

That's super cool and handy that you work in a surplus store! Although I would have loved to have gotten a hold of a real G-4B flight suit, to be quite honest, I don't think I would have had as much fun (and stress of course haha) as I did with the process of altering and turning my jumpsuit into looking like one. Anyway, I don't think I would have had the guts to buy an actual one and change it either!

Yes, you're right on that one, the red and gold Warrant Officer badge she wears is definitely an enamel pin, not a patch. The reason why I bought a patch version was because at the time of purchase, the eBay seller I bought it from only offered them in patches (see this post). It is only until recent they have started to sell enamel pin versions of this, which I have now acquired. I am yet to write a review about it but will hopefully get that done this weekend. You can see in some publicity photos that Ripley's pin is removed from her flight suit (there is a light mark to where it usually sits) and it could be worn similarly to Dallas on the Nostromo shirt. Also, see the second photo how shiny that pin is - definitely confirms our guess as a metal/enamel badge! Third photo, unmistakably a badge - look at how raised it is in comparison to the WY wings and Nostromo patch.

Ellen_Ripley.png women_sigourney_weaver_alien_e_2008x3010_wallpapername.com.jpg ellen-ripley.jpg

Again, along with a post on the Warrant Officer pin badge from destinyone (eBay seller), I am yet to write a review on the blue Weylan-Yutani wings patch (also from destinyone), my recent dyeing adventure, and my start on the Nostromo shirt. I will also include the Nostromo shirt under this thread. Will eventually rename this as the 'Ellen Ripley Costume Guide' probably, haha. So yeah, lots to come this weekend!

No problem kristenhenry70, and thanks again really, always nice to hear that my silly mistakes helps others! :)

FIRST & SECOND WASH

Firstly, many thanks to all who responded to my dye plea. After some careful consideration, I decided that the best option was to follow Grey's suggestion of doing a wash of grey
(heh) dye on top of the calico pockets with the hopes of darkening them to a shade similar to the rest of the now grey-khaki jump suit. Subsequently, when I do another dye to get it to that lovely grey steel blue colour that I'm aiming for, this should in theory, come out as close as it can as one uniform colour (rather than the two tone effect I got the first time round) since they are of a similar shade, despite the materials being rather different.

5/08/2015

So here I am, messing about with the amount of hot water (and a wee teaspoon of salt because it helps cotton to retain dye better) to Rit Dye's Pearl Grey dye and using a hog hair paint brush to apply it onto the damp pockets. My gloved hand was always kept underneath the calico to try prevent it from bleeding and thus dyeing the rest of the suit. I'm afraid I can't give the exact details of how I did this but that's pretty much the gist of it. I improvised much of the dye mixture and wash process, brushing up each part about twice because frankly, I'm not quite sure what I'm doing.

IMG_6020.JPG

Afterwards, I hung it to dry. I am aware that you need to rinse the fabric in warm water, then cold in order to wash off the excess dye and to remove the salt from the fabric. However, I worried that if I did that, I would strip off most of the grey wash I had just applied, and since it was so diluted already I didn't want to risk that. So I've left it to dry as it. From the looks of it at this stage anyway, I'll need to do another wash of dye. And by the time I'll do my full dye, I'll have washed out the salt by the end of it.

7/08/2015

The suit has been left for a full day and a bit and the grey wash is looking quite good, in my opinion. It's definitely darkened the calico quite a bit but could do with another wash. As you can see, the salt has crystallised and left little white marks behind on places it has dried in, giving the suit a bit of a crisp texture where it was wet. But as I mentioned beforehand, this shouldn't be an issue. The suit will be washed completely once the final dye job is done. Plus, salt is generally quite easy to remove and cotton easy to soften. So it'll be fine.

IMG_6039.JPG IMG_6065.JPG IMG_6066.JPG

You may notice that the grey looks like it has a slight purple tint. I'm not too bothered as the end result will be a little grey-blue and it won't be that noticeable. I have a feeling this may be because of the colours that make up Pearl Grey (you can see flecks of navy, red, yellow and orange when the powder swirls) and perhaps due to the fact that I reused some of the undissolved powder that settled at the bottom of my containers. I just boiled some water and poured it on top of these sediments again to create another little pot of dye. Dye is pretty expensive in the amount I'm buying it in so I'm trying to get as much use of them as possible!

The following image is of a wet pocket after its second wash drying in the rare spot of sunshine Glasgow has seen after a week of torrential rain. In total, I brushed over it twice with each layer of wash. Once this is dry I will check whether it is dark enough and whether a third wash is necessary. From the looks of it at the moment though, it doesn't seem like it. Fingers crossed I am on good track to doing a final, successful dye this Sunday.

IMG_6040.JPG

Last edited:

Of course you do realize that after all of this work perfecting your suit you are going to be a Master of it, and will therefore be expected to make them for everybody else now...

Just sayin'. :p

I'm going to have to drag mine out and take some pictures... I had put it together last year because after having come across the G4B how could I NOT make a Ripley costume...? However, after it was complete I hadn't taken it to a convention or anything mostly because I hadn't figured out how to properly ripley-fy my hair... mostly. LOL

I'll pull it out of storage tonight and snap some photos of it. The first of the promo shots that you've put in above shows the look that I want to go for... namely Ripley wearing what appears to be a white tank underneath the suit. She didn't do that in-film... it was one of the crew shirts. But that seemed too bulky for me (I'm not as thin as Ms. weaver was then) so I have always liked the look of that promo shot with the tank better.

Come to think of it, I never added the vibram soles to the bottom of my P.F. Flyers, either... it might be nice to pull this out and knock out the last few little details it needs to be complete. :)

Last edited:

Of course you do realize that after all of this work perfecting your suit you are going to be a Master of it, and will therefore be expected to make them for everybody else now...

Just sayin'. :p

I'm going to have to drag mine out and take some pictures... I had put it together last year because after having come across the G4B how could I NOT make a Ripley costume...? However, after it was complete I hadn't taken it to a convention or anything mostly because I hadn't figured out how to properly ripley-fy my hair... mostly. LOL

I'll pull it out of storage tonight and snap some photos of it. The first of the promo shots that you've put in above shows the look that I want to go for... namely Ripley wearing what appears to be a white tank underneath the suit. She didn't do that in-film... it was one of the crew shirts. But that seemed too bulky for me (I'm not as thin as Ms. weaver was then) so I have always liked the look of that promo shot with the tank better.

Come to think of it, I never added the vibram soles to the bottom of my P.F. Flyers, either... it might be nice to pull this out and knock out the last few little details it needs to be complete. :)

I'm not going to lie, I already want to make another one... wouldn't mind making them for other people and earn a little dolla for it hahaha :)

I cut my hair back in February to near enough an Eton crop as I wanted a change but I've been desperate to grow it out to what it used to be like since (long-ish hair, above boobs). So sadly, I can't Ripley-fy my hair... yet. But I figure sleeping in with rollers the night before would do the trick. I used to do a lot of vintage hair styles and instead of getting 1940s waves, I often got a Karen Carpenter sort of 70s look... If you want tighter curls, then I'd go for finger curls or using a rolling iron the curl them, then pinning them in place for a few hours. Let me know if these work :)

I think to be honest, anything from a white tank top, olive/kiwi green t-shirt and white shirt does the trick. She wears all three at some point in the film anyway! As you say though, having all three on can be quite bulky, so I definitely recommend going for a cotton white shirt; or just to wear all three when the weather is poor and it's cold, lol.

I'd love to see how you made the PF Flyers. I've not really been thinking about making them. I know it would be a pity to going whole hog on the suit and shirt but not do the shoes too but quite honestly, at the moment I want a change of project and I'm happy enough to just paint my beige converse white. Maybe I'll do them properly in the near future.

Coming along fine. I think that the pockets are as close as you'll have them...looking fine. As for the Flyers, don't forget the third hole located on the inside of the shoe;)

SECOND DYE ATTEMPT ​ (8/08/2015)

SUCCESS (to some extent).

I followed Rit Dye’s instructions for the colour "Country Blue”:
18-4320.jpg
1/4 tsp Pearl Grey
1 tsp Teal
1 tsp Royal Blue

I bought powder dyes for all of these colours as it was cheaper at my local Art Store (£3.99 each, totally £11.97). Apparently these are the Liquid Dye measurements but I think it still works well with powder.

I then dissolved all of that in 0.9 Litres/1 Quart Water. After, I filled a basin with about 11litres of hot tap water (roughly 140F/60C). I actually ended up tipping some out because my basin wasn’t big enough and I was yet to add the dissolved dye mixture, as well as the suit. Following this, I dissolved 1 US cup of salt in 2 cups of hot water (again, 60C); added this to the basin of water too. I gradually added about 60% of the dye mixture into the basin because I was wary about adding too much and turning it too dark again. Tested it on some scrap fabric and kitchen towels. Seemed too light so I added more dye mixture. Once I added about 85% of the dye mix, I then submerged the wet suit in the dye bath and with rubber gloves on, continually mixed it and moved it for about 11mins. Then rinsed it out with warm water before hanging to dry.

IMG_6081.JPG IMG_6082.JPG IMG_6083.JPG IMG_6080.JPG

Definitely close enough to the colour I’m aiming for. It's a lighter version of what you see in this photo:

alien-sigourney-weaver-ripley-jones.jpg

Although more teal than blue, I’m pleased with it as is, considering the amount of trouble I went through to get it to this point and what the original colour of the suit actually was. Plus, it's sort of in the middle between khaki green (which is supposed to be the original colour of the G-4B or the piece in the film) and the blue that's been heavily debated so that's a good half and half. I probably could have done with leaving it in the bath for longer though, maybe another 5-10 mins for it to go a little darker but I really didn't want to risk it. Anyway, the lighter look makes it look a little worn, and I could always mix up some dark dye to create 'stains':
ripleyeggchamber.jpg

Again, pockets are still light but not too painfully bright, more of a lighter, bluer hue than the rest of the suit. I may go over it with some grey-teal dye as I have some dye mix left over and quite a lot of powder left (good for the money!) but to be honest, it won’t need too much work. I’m pretty certain I can have the patches on and the suit distressed and ready by Tuesday. Hooray!!

18-4320.jpg

alien-sigourney-weaver-ripley-jones.jpg

ripleyeggchamber.jpg

IMG_6079.JPG

IMG_6080.JPG

IMG_6081.JPG

IMG_6082.JPG

IMG_6083.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

FINAL WASH (9/08/2015)

Here are some photographs of the final wash being applied, having done one already after the full dye. You can see the difference between the dry fabric with one wash and the fabric wet with a second wash.
IMG_6096.JPG IMG_6084.JPG

Pocket wet with second wash, noticeably more teal. Here's hoping it gets as close to the suit as possible.
IMG_6127.JPG

Once that's dry, I'm ready to lace up the back and sew on the patches!

Attachments

• IMG_6095.JPG
    IMG_6095.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Re: ALIEN Ellen Ripley Costume Tutorial (Flight Suit & Shirt)

Ripley and Hicks are my favorite....love the Nostromo flight suit , you are making....WOW...extremely awesome....I know this must be very difficult at times , but your work is looking fantastic , love what you are doing, cant wait to see the completion....very impressive work

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back