Immortan Joe Progress Log - 3d Models, W.I.P. photos, and Con Results!

Ein

Sr Member
DOWNLOADS SECTION

I'm updating the OP to organize some of the 3d models I have made throughout the thread. I'm making all of these files available on principle, for all those hundreds of times I have seen someone working on something on TheRPF who isn't willing to share. I figured I should put my money where my mouth is, and hope that it encourages future posters and makers to share their own works more freely.

IMMORTAN JOE BADGES / MEDALS

These badges have been recreated from the stills and reference images I have been able to grab from the movie. They may not be 100% accurate on details or scaling, but they are as close as I am damn well able to get them for screen accuracy purposes, and I've done a lot of work to try and make them look the part.

0Cg8wd5l.jpg

8rIjWVNl.jpg

And the top bars for the ones that need them!

dnDEdG2h.jpg

'EAGLE' MEDAL DOWNLOAD: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS

'KEYHOLE' MEDAL DOWNLOAD: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS

'GRINDER' MEDAL DOWNLOAD: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS EXTRA: 'GRINDER' MEDAL TOP BAR DOWNLOAD: .STL

'500' MEDAL DOWNLOAD: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS EXTRA: '500' MEDAL TOP BAR DOWNLOAD: .STL

'SCROLL' MEDAL DOWNLOAD: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS EXTRA: '500' MEDAL TOP BAR / WINGNUT DOWNLOAD: .STL

IMMORTAN CODPIECE COMPONENTS

I made up a quick collection of the parts that can be found on Joe's castle nut codpiece, pictured below. You can print as many of the codpiece nuts as you want - I have no idea how many of each type are necessary, off the top of my head - but my personal preference is probably to print one of each, make a quick mold, and then pop out resin copies. Printing an entire plate of these things would take a lot of time and put a lot of unnecessary wear on a printer otherwise!

MYWQ7Q4l.jpg

o1KBGHhh.jpg

CODPIECE COMPONENT COLLECTION DOWNLOAD:
.RAR COLLECTION

All of the parts in the image above are archived in that .rar collection. By request I have provided separate links to Shapeways for the individual parts so that people can order parts they might need or are missing.

'240' BADGE / EMBLEM DOWNLOAD:
.STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS

'929' BADGE / EMBLEM DOWNLOAD: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS

'49' BADGE / EMBLEM DOWNLOAD: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS

IMMORTAN SHIN EMBLEM COMPONENTS

hqqXgcDl.jpg

P9Fsnrol.jpg

I know that Hamsterstyle generously provided a couple models for these purposes, but there were a few that I saw missing, and at this point I just decided I wanted to be a completionist and model all of the things I was going to wear myself. I can't guarantee these will be exactly the right scale, so be prepared to have to play with the sizing a bit!

'HYPOID' GEAR / EMBLEM DOWNLOAD:

'STRAIGHT' GEAR / EMBLEM DOWNLOAD:

'SINK STOPPER' / EMBLEM DOWNLOAD:

'500' SHIN BADGE / EMBLEM: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS

'1100' SHIN BADGE / EMBLEM:

'GX' SHIN BADGE / EMBLEM:

'XL' SHIN BADGE / EMBLEM: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS

IMMORTAN AIR FILTRATION COMPONENTS

bSAF427l.jpg

I eyeballed this stuff as best I could to get something that would be a reasonable substitute for the car / motorcycle air filters that Joe has attached over each shoulder mostly because it seemed like tracking down a screen-accurate filter was difficult, if not impossible. The sizes on these things seems to be all over the place. This one's about 50mm at its widest, which I think is close to the screen dimensions based on what I can scale it against. I made a 'hollowed out' version to put on Shapeways in the hopes that it would be a little cheaper to print, but unfortunately it is still fairly pricey.

AIR FILTER SOLID SINGLE PIECE: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS

Alternatively,
if you guys decide to lose your minds like I do and want working, non-solid air filters, you can opt for Dust Devil H3 filters, which are roughly the right size and profile. Of course, they're too long by a substantial amount, so they need cutting down, which leads to the next part...

nuyf24Rl.jpg

WkzmPG1l.jpg

LXabCNxl.jpg

5d5n7s4l.jpg

For guidance on how to use these end caps, this post might be helpful. If your printer can actually manage the text on the hex cap, more power to you!

AIR FILTER BASE END PIECE: .STL

AIR FILTER HEX CAP WITH TEXT: .STL

4ncYOSYl.jpg

s6theiZl.jpg

This model was created to solve a very specific problem. The screen-accurate gas mask hose that connects from the air bladder behind his head to his mask is actually a combination of two different types of hose. The light grey hose is from a PDF-D childrens' gas mask and is more flexible, which was probably done on purpose to make it easier for the actor to move his head about. The black hose is the more standard type of russian gas mask hose you frequently find on the Soviet GP-5 or M41M masks. These hoses, stock, actually screwed together without any problem when I bought them, but the connection point on them was way too big like that. Instead, what I opted to do was design this piece to replace the connectors entirely. Slide the grey hose up over the smaller diameter end, and the black hose over the sleeve on the larger diameter end, and ta-da!

GAS MASK HOSE CONNECTOR: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS

oO4D2y4l.jpg

0jc3klYl.jpg

This was designed to interface between the back end of my air filter and the airbag itself. It has a straight shot through the bigger tube to allow the most air through with the widest diameter opening. It is specifically measured to fit the dimensions of the piping I'm using. For looks it should work just fine, but use at your own caution if you're trying to build an airtight seal like I am.

AIR FILTER T-PIPE: .STL PART 1 | .STL PART 2

dtTqledl.jpg
Rdc8Rlel.jpg

vCRuj0wl.jpg

StaSdlyl.jpg

This is designed to replicate the fitting between the back of Joe's hoses and is the plug that reaches into the air bladder from the outside. It has a smooth curve on the inside of the pipe to channel the airflow properly, if you're trying to make it actually work like I am. The longer section should be long enough to reach through whatever bracketing you use to attach it to the armor. It was sectioned into two pieces to make printing it a little easier. Again, this part is specifically measured to fit the dimensions of the piping I'm using, but it'll also work just fine as an aesthetic piece.

AIR FILTER L-PIPE: .STL PART 1 | .STL PART 2

IMMORTAN JOE'S WAR CLUB

9UtbMKcl.jpg

YmKuUTjl.jpg

hAwy1rgl.jpg

These parts are dumb to 3d print, but maybe someone will find them useful as I did. They were designed to fit over 3/4" PVC pipe with some sanding. The club head is divided into two parts to fit on my print bed.

WAR CLUB HEAD PARTS: .STL PART 1 | .STL PART 2

WAR CLUB BASE ENDCAP: .STL PART 1

IMMORTAN JOE'S CHROME SPRAY HOLDER

3yewLmfl.jpg
HWSii2ql.jpg

This is an enclosure designed to fit around a Wilton's Silver Color Mist Food Spray. It tastes bitter, but it's at least safe for human consumption, and it's right about the right size. The bottle of Wilton spray is actually supposed to show for a small section between the top of the base part and the cap, but peel the plastic label off first so it's just a plain white.

CHROME SPRAY HOLDER PARTS: .STL PART 1 | .STL PART 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Immortan Joe Progress Log - 3d Modelling and various other bits.

ORIGINAL POST FOLLOWS:

I have a bunch of other irons in the fire that are still half-finished or in-progress, but to hell with it, I want to post this stuff too. I really liked Fury Road, but I wasn't planning on doing any props from it due to the other stuff I'm working on... right up until I found a really cool 3d model of Immortan Joe's mask done by Filipturz and just had to print it.

RD6fuBEl.jpg

Aaaand down the rabbithole we started. Showed the thing to my girlfriend and she thought it was pretty cool, but she started pointing out all the inaccuracies and ways the movie mask differed from what I had printed. First and foremost was the grille-looking stuff in the nostril holes, as you can see here:

Took a while for me to actually find reference images - at first I thought the hole had a metallic grill in it, but upon further evaluation it looks like some sort of filtration fabric material. Nevertheless, it was obvious that step one was going to be drilling the nose hole open.

Easily enough done with a dremel and sanding bit. I grabbed some two-part sculpting epoxy that I had nearby for wargaming purposes and patched the hole back closed with a deeper recess so that I could add the vertical lines back in overtop.

Of course, while I was doing all of that, my girlfriend also pointed out that the teeth needed a bit of texturing, because the printed ones were too smooth. I am actually pretty garbage when it comes to sculpting. Thankfully, she is pretty good at it! I talked her into giving me a hand, so she grabbed the Apoxie Sculpt and got to work.

She followed me right down that same rabbit hole and started resculpting other parts of the mask to be more accurate, including building out the cheekbones and the addition of a hammered-metal sort of texture to some of the metal parts.

I kinda can't believe how cool it looks. She's doing a heck of a job on it, and it keeps becoming one of these 'oh hey look at that detail, it's different, let me resculpt that' things. We're not going for perfect screen accuracy, but it's pretty clear that the Apoxie Sculpt has improved the mask dramatically.

Now, I didn't want to be a slouch, myself. While she was doing all of this, I decided to get back to leveraging what I know how to do, and started modelling up a bunch of extra / ancillary parts to be 3d-printed, with the idea that I'd make them as accurate as possible. I redid the gas mask hose attachment points so that they resembled the ones from the movie closer:

I should pause here and mention that I am a big advocate for open sharing of 3d models in this hobby. Most of my projects have started from seeing a cool model someone else has made and then wanting to improve upon that, as I tried previously with Helagak's star lord helmet. I haven't had a chance to print this part yet yet to confirm that the dimensions on it are correct (both as it connects to the mask and the diameter that'd be needed to fit a gas mask hose) but as soon as I finalize that, I'll post the models up in this thread.

I also started taking a look at the rest of Immortan Joe's filtration system.

It looks like he has a pair of motorcycle(?) air filters of some description built into the rebreather bag he wears behind his head. These parts in particular seemed ripe for 3d printing, so I figured I'd take a crack at it. They're not entirely consistent between the reference images I've seen, but I think I've got the model in 'close enough' territory:

Again, because I haven't printed this part yet, I'm not 100% sure I have the scale right yet, so I'm not sharing the files just yet. However, as soon as I pin down something that seems sensible and finalize the parts I will share them for others to print.

While my girlfriend continues her work sculpting on the mask, I expect I might take a stab at modelling some of the other parts of Joe's costume, including some of his badges and other miscellaneous accessories. In the mean time, if anyone has a lead on where I might be able to source some of the gas mask hoses without spending a fortune, I'd love to know. It's very clearly a coupling of two different types of hose in two different colors, but I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars trying to find the right size fittings.

==============================

Despite it being the weekend, I didn't have nearly as much time on my hands today as I hoped for. Nevertheless, I took some time to bang out a quick copy of one of Joe's badges - I will do the others as I have the opportunity.

I'm not 100% sure on my scale here, but I think I'm close to right, so here's a file to play around with!

Last edited:

Just sent you a PM Adam regarding the Coma-Doof Warrior :) I live, i die, i live again!!

Nice stuff, loved this character and the movie

Wow Beautiful work, especially love the medal!

Piece of cake! Ended up printing it out at around 95% scale, but until I have a chestplate or one of the other badges for scale comparison I'm really not sure if I've got the right size yet. Details print out just fine, though.

Looks perfect!!! Do you plan on selling any of the printed medals? Myself and I'm sure many others would be interested. I have the navy eagle/anchor crest... The dimensions are 2 1/2 in long and 2 1/4 in wide, if that helps you with nailing down the scale of the medals.

Such great work! Subscribed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coincidentally, I just stumbled upon ahoudini's post in one of the other Immortan Joe threads while I've been considering the size and scale of these badges. Using the image that he linked (thanks, buddy!) and a bit of photoshoppery I think I have a better idea on how big these badges actually are:

Which means two things:

• Immortan Joe is a gigantic sumbitch to be able to wear these as medals, and
  • I have pretty dramatically underestimated the size of the badge that I printed, because the "500" badge is about 2 inches across.

I'll do some rescaling and reprinting to try and come up with something bigger but still in proportion with my 6'2" self.

Excellent! BTW, that eagle/Easyriders pin is proving nearly impossible to find. I am cobbling a simulacrum together out of three other biker pins but a 3D printed version of that one would be really appreciated (as in cash money!) I got outbid on the one you see there with the rulers at $32.50!! I guarantee yours will be better than my Frankenpin!

Yes, based on the real 500 emblem I found, 2" is correct.

I can model the easyriders pin up for 3d printing, but I have my doubts as to whether or not my home printer can handle details down to that small a level. I'm sure a service like Shapeways could probably pull it off, though. You got any other large pictures of the easyriders badge that I can reference?

You're on a roll!!! Beautiful work!!!

Last edited:
Immortan Joe Progress Log - 3d Modelling and various other bits.

Really nice! No, Ein, the one with the rulers is the only one I have or have seen. I wish I could contact the winner of that auction and ask permission to cast it. Another could turn up any day, I suppose. I have automated searches running for it.

So... what? I'm working on this one, but I can't really decipher what's going on in the middle of this one. It looks like... a greek column, maybe? But with a circular imprint? Anyone got any ideas here?

I thought maybe it was a lamp of knowledge at the top, like it had been an academic medal…

I was originally thinking that medal could have been the topper of an old sports trophy and whatever was in the center circle was sanded off. Though now that you said that- I'm looking at it and kind of see the lamp of knowledge.

So here's my best educated guess - a scroll?

Maybe. Who knows. I don't see the lamp of knowledge in there, to be honest, but there's some implied S-curve shape to it that kind of suggests 'scroll' to me. I have no idea. If anyone else can show me something better, I'm all ears, but otherwise I'll move on from this one.

Oh 3d printer, you spoil me. :3

Think I've got the scale about right on this one now.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back