Immortan Joe Progress Log - 3d Models, W.I.P. photos, and Con Results!

Re: Immortan Joe Progress Log - 3d Modelling and various other bits.

.88" ID for the screen accurate hoses. And they do smell very strongly, but could maybe be cleaned out and vented thoroughly.

Excellent work on the medals by the way! Any plans to do the cell phone, or just sourcing it?

A point of interest is that there seems to be some copper piping that goes from the bottom of the valve into the jaw behind the rear lower teeth, so I've been modifying my design to include those bits.

That's what I meant by the tubing, but "pipe" is probably a better word. :) I'm going to be molding these, so including that in the print was going to make that an extra hassle. I just bent a brass rod, which I'll paint up separately.

That's going to be awesome if you have it fully ventilated, with a fan and everything! I'd be too tempted to walk around doing the old, into the fan: "Luke, I am your faaaatherrrr". Ha!

I don't have the lighter colored hoses, just the dark, but looks like logan74k has you covered there.

For the black, they go over a fitting which is about 31/32", with a 1 1/64" lip on it. I made the top of my valves to be right at 31/32, and I wish I'd made it a smidge thicker. The hoses fit perfect, but it's not a good friction fit. So if you go a little over-size, you're probably for the better. It's rubber after all. Better just slightly large, than just slightly small. Although, then I'd have to make the shoulder that it butts up against a little wider.

One thing for sure, I thought I made the part which extends into the hose pretty long (3/4"), but it could actually stand to be a little longer, for a little more support. An inch or maybe even inch and a quarter.

Here are some shots of the fitting for the black hose. Doesn't help you for the lighter color, but good for a data point.

fitting1_zpsz86mzdqq.jpg fitting2_zpsjtqithzt.jpg fitting3_zpsk2ved1i8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

.88" ID for the screen accurate hoses. And they do smell very strongly, but could maybe be cleaned out and vented thoroughly.

Excellent work on the medals by the way! Any plans to do the cell phone, or just sourcing it?

Sourcing it, hopefully. I don't want to say too much more for fear of you jerks outbidding me. :D

That's what I meant by the tubing, but "pipe" is probably a better word. :) I'm going to be molding these, so including that in the print was going to make that an extra hassle. I just bent a brass rod, which I'll paint up separately.

That's going to be awesome if you have it fully ventilated, with a fan and everything! I'd be too tempted to walk around doing the old, into the fan: "Luke, I am your faaaatherrrr". Ha!

I don't have the lighter colored hoses, just the dark, but looks like @logan74k has you covered there.

For the black, they go over a fitting which is about 31/32", with a 1 1/64" lip on it. I made the top of my valves to be right at 31/32, and I wish I'd made it a smidge thicker. The hoses fit perfect, but it's not a good friction fit. So if you go a little over-size, you're probably for the better. It's rubber after all. Better just slightly large, than just slightly small. Although, then I'd have to make the shoulder that it butts up against a little wider.

One thing for sure, I thought I made the part which extends into the hose pretty long (3/4"), but it could actually stand to be a little longer, for a little more support. An inch or maybe even inch and a quarter.

Here are some shots of the fitting for the black hose. Doesn't help you for the lighter color, but good for a data point.

View attachment 500696 View attachment 500697 View attachment 500698

Thanks for that, bud. I have some rejiggering to do to my connectors, that's for sure.

I've updated the OP with correct files and links for the badges, just to organize things. In the mean time, I'm pretty happy with the 'Easyriders' badge for now:

I'll probably be smoothing it out a bit more and filling in some of the tiny gaps because I plan on making molds of these things so I can cold cast them for myself, and every little imperfection will end up coming out on the final product if I don't. :D

Ein, your medals look really, really good. Thanks for sharing the files. Can't wait to see the rest of your progress, here.

I think I'm going to use your STL for the eagle badge. I can still say I made most of my costume. haha

In my ongoing efforts to needlessly complicate my girlfriend's life, I managed to point out a bunch of inconsistencies between the 3d printed mask I had produced and the actual screen prop. We both realize that the mask I have is never going to be fully screen accurate, but that doesn't stop me from obsessing over little details until she eventually throws her hands up in the air and concedes to help me fix a few things with her sculpting talents while I continue to work on the digital side of things.

One of the biggest differences between my mask and the film-used one is that there isn't enough of it - there's very clearly bits of the mask above and behind the metallic cheekplates, underneath the eye, and a bit more substance to the jawline than what I had printed out.

He looked at me! He looked right at me!

I also noted that the metal chin bars attached to the outside of the lower parts of the left and right jawline seemed to be pretty close to the outside edge of the jaw. With all of this in mind, I set about properly wrecking the mask with my dremel and a drum bit to remove some bits that were going to be resculpted or repositioned. I also took some sheet styrene and set about bending, flexing, clamping, and otherwise cajoling the plastic into place around the perimeter of the mask to give my girlfriend a bit more surface area to sculpt any extra detailwork or additions to.

Any unused space will be later dremelled off. I also primed the mask black so we could see how we had done so far, which in hindsight may have been a mistake because it is really hard to see and photograph detail against black. Woops.

I also took a bit of plastic off around where the vents attach so I could redo that area in anticipation of remodelling the gas mask hose plugs.

Anyway, she's started digging back into it, so I figured I'd post some of the changes so far:

More to come!

I have been very busy these last few days, so my work on this costume has been a bit more limited than I would like, but I have managed to start making a couple molds. Figured I'd take my 3d printed masters, clean 'em up a bit more, and then cold-cast copies so I could weather and shine them like the real thing. Just popped the 'eagle' badge mold out of the pressure pot and it looks okay, so I'll try a test pour shortly!

I also got my hands on one of those neat Navy Officer badges that adorns Joe's armor today. It has confirmed the scale of the other badges I've made so far, which I'm happy about!

... which leads me to my last little part of tonight. I spent some time over the last few days researching and generally trying to get an idea of how I could make the torso armor and I have come to the conclusion that while clear worbla might work, I want to build a vacuform table. I have had many projects that I have found myself wishing I had one of these things for, and this was enough to make me pull the trigger. I have no idea if I am going to build something functional - I'm going by the little bits I've seen of stuff on the internet - but I have a general plan, and have spent about $200 today on a 2kw quartz heater, some wood and MDF to make a platen and frame, hardware to put it all together, and hardiback cement sheets to form a distributive oven for the plastic so that I don't end up ruining the oven in my house that I use to cook my dinner!

Step one was getting some of the MDF and cutting out the center of one of the sheets, then gluing it to another of the sheets with a hundred million billion clamps:

Tomorrow, when I'm less exhausted, I'll drill the top plate of the platen full of holes for the vacuum and figure out the fittings I need to get to hook my shop-vac up to the bottom of this thing. I don't have the PETG I plan on vacuforming yet, but I'll order it from McMaster Carr on Monday, which means I should probably have it to play with by Tuesday. Of course, I need to make the buck to actually vacuum form over, so that'll take a while!

Great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Work has continued, and I'll post a bit more tonight, but I just figured something out that I think is kinda neat. The 'filigree' badge that Joe wears - I assumed it might be filigree from a frame or something. These are the best references I have for it:

I was looking at it closely while I planned how to model it up, but my girlfriend, handy bugger that she is, noticed something - that hole in the middle of the medal is keyhole-shaped. Meaning... that whole thing is a single, solid keyhole plate. Eureka!

Could definitely find something similar in style without too much work...

205404.jpg

... but I'm going to try and model up the closest replica I can for 3d printing.

Nice find!!! I have the three badges you already made on their way from shapeways. Thank you again for all the awesome 3D work you've done!

Wow! Great pickup! Not sure how I missed that but I certainly did!

Slow but steady progress on the mask. It needs a bit of sanding and cleanup, and then I need to add all the screws/hardware/other rivets, but I think the mask part is pretty close to done. The next fun challenge after this will be trying to figure out how to make a mold of the damn thing and then resin copies after that. I'm hoping I can make an open-faced brush-in mold here.

The gas mask hoses are the childrens' mask ones that I ordered from eBay, but now I need to find the darker, larger hose that connects to the other end of it. Still, I'm pretty pleased with how everything looks so far.

I took another look at the air filter he's got attached to his baffles and tried to figure out rough dimensions. These are the best reference images I have:

Based on that last one, I can kind of guesstimate diameter of the filter as compared to the gas mask hose tubes and the connection point. I get the sense that the bottom of the filter is something like 175%-200% or so in diameter as compared to the point where the rubber hose meets the mask connector. Best guess I have is that the base of the air filter is something like 50-52mm or so. I went ahead and modeled up a quick 1/2" NPT plug adapter for the bottom of the thing on the rationale that it's not that hard to find plumbing hardware that should accept it and thread properly. Ideally I will be able to just screw this thing right in.

Anyone have any better idea of dimensions on this thing? If not, I'll just start throwing it at the printer to see what happens.

Based on the real (but a little too fat) air filters I have, can you add a coarse mesh texture to those baffles? It will dry brush great with silver paint and really make the print look authentic.

BTW, I love the 3D modeling you have done! I guess this will be another real item I bought only to be replaced by a lightweight printout!

Based on the real (but a little too fat) air filters I have, can you add a coarse mesh texture to those baffles? It will dry brush great with silver paint and really make the print look authentic.

I'm trying to figure out how to model that at the moment, honestly. I might need to haul it into something like ZBrush to do it, because I can't seem to figure out an easy way to add that fabricy texture to it in 3d Studio.

What are the dimensions on the real one you're using? Is my guess of maybe about 50mm for the base diameter of this thing close?

On vacation so can't measure until a week from Monday. The neck of mine is rubber hose with about a 18 mm ID. There is a hose clamp around it to tighten down around the mating part.

My speedy photoshop measuring is giving me a smaller bottom diameter of ~1.47", with a 'nut' of 7/8 or 22-23mm (wrench size), threaded rod around half inch, tapering up to around 1.8 on the large end.
einmeasure.jpg

Another decent shot for measuring confirms the ratio from end to end if not the precise measurements!

My speedy photoshop measuring is giving me a smaller bottom diameter of ~1.47", with a 'nut' of 7/8 or 22-23mm (wrench size), threaded rod around half inch, tapering up to around 1.8 on the large end.
View attachment 508255

Another decent shot for measuring confirms the ratio from end to end if not the precise measurements!

Thanks for the image. That does help a lot, actually - I hadn't seen such a clear look at the back of the air filter. Looks like I have some changes to make regarding shape! 1.8 inches is right around the 45mm mark, I think, which means my own guess at 50mm isn't that far off, at least assuming I understand the references you're givin' me.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back