Immortan Joe Progress Log - 3d Models, W.I.P. photos, and Con Results!

Re: Immortan Joe Progress Log - 3d Modelling and various other bits.

Revised the 500 badge based on what you shared there, Predator. Hopefully this works out better. I'm updating the links in the OP now.

Last edited:

Molds were made up for the arm bucks and we filled them with Hydrocal and let them set for a while. My first order of PETG plastic has also arrived, so I'm thinking that some time tomorrow morning or afternoon I'll pay a visit to the local university and use their vacuum forming setup again. The final products are nice and smooth and heavy, but need a bit of sanding around the edges to ensure they sit properly on the vacuform table surface. If it weren't storming, I'd take these outside to my belt sander, but I can't have plaster dust all over the inside of my workshop!

On the other end of things, the prints for the air intake filter interface with the bag seem to have come out looking workable enough:

They are maybe a tiny bit on the long side, and things are a little big, but I'm trying to keep as wide a diameter as possible on my intake hoses so that the 40mm fans I'll be using don't have to deal with air pressure fluctuations.

Everything is looking good. I'm looking forward to see how those forearms come out. I very well might want a set if you would be willing to offer them.

I'm going to re-print my 500 badges as I like your connected ones better than mine that are separate numbers. I also like that you did the little round things that you can't really see well.

As a heads up on the OP your "air filter end piece" and "air filter" are the same part, the full air filter not the end cap.

Thanks for pointing that out - with that many links in the OP, I'm bound to go wrong sometimes. :D

While I was waiting for some things to dry and some other things to print, I took a crack at modeling up the back fixture to connect the hose and the airbag together. I did do some digging to see if I could find a reasonable plumbing fitting, and there were some options, but at this point I kinda like the idea of trying to print it just to see if I can, so...

This was what I came up with. The top of the pipe is fitted with a flared bit that I should be able to snugly fit the end of the black gas mask hose around. The left end of the pipe will stick in through a metal L-bracket that mounts onto the armor or airbag itself - it looks like part of that whole assembly - and the tube will snug into some flexible tubing I have in mind for inside the airbag that will lead to the fan. I swept a smooth curve inside the fixture that's about 23mm in diameter which should keep the air moving relatively smoothly:

It was also modeled to come apart as two separate pieces to make the printing of it easier.

Vertical curves and right angles that stick out into space are the enemy of a FDM printer, so this should minimize the amount of weirdness that the printer produces. It'll still need supports, but if I get everything right, I should be able to glue these parts snugly together, then coat the inside with a thin layer of resin or maybe even XTC-3D to ensure that the join is smooth and consistent.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get these printing until tomorrow morning, as right now my machine is tied up with these fittings, instead:

These little suckers are designed to bolt straight onto my 40mm high-CFM fans on one end and the back end of that white flexible corrugated tube in my last post on the other end. Should give me a good seal, but I'll be able to try it out tomorrow morning. My end goal here is to get all of the hardware assembled and inline so I have the fan sucking in the air through all the fixtures at one end and blowing out through all the length of hose that will be necessary at the other, so I can confirm that the little fan I bought has the horsepower to actually move that much static pressure. We'll see!

97d9a579796c245209f78d3ea1297337.jpg

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Ein, thanks for taking the time to model all these little parts out and release them. I've got my printer working overtime trying to get all the parts I need done in time for Dragon Con and you doing all the hard work for the hose fittings and such is making life so much easier since now I don't have to waste hours wondering the aisles of Home Depot's plumbing section hoping to find something that would work.

TrapperBlu I've seen those fixtures, but the thing about what I'm doing here is I'm trying to keep a clear and unimpeded path for air to flow in through the intake filters, through the hoses, and into the mask. That first picture you posted has a valve screw on it (the knob) and even if I remove that, it's going to unnecessarily choke the airflow down a really significant amount. That said, your armor looks great, and if I'm being honest, I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to tackle the matter of trying to make the airbag itself yet.
Predatormv - No problem, buddy. Just let me know if you're after some models you see here that I've failed to put up. I'm in crunch mode myself because I basically need to get everything here done in the next month for NYCC's Cosplay Contest, so I know the feeling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh that's awesome so it can blow up the blatter. Rad. The next level

Oh that's awesome so it can blow up the blatter. Rad. The next level

Technically the air bladder itself won't be inflating. I'm creating a closed system that runs from the intake filters out through the bag that happens to be inside of the air bladder. If I have time to do inflation/deflation or moving effects, you can bet I'll give it a shot, but honestly I have no idea how I'm going to make the bag yet since it's such a complex shape. I do have some really nice, suitable material for it at the moment, though:

It has a good texture to it and isn't crazy heavy. I got four yards of it from a shop in the Garment District in NYC when I was there last week for $35, which seemed pretty reasonable, and hopefully will be way more material than I need to trial-and-error my way through it. Right now I'm just experimenting with tape and clothes pins to try and see if I can get the material to blouse right.

Looking good, what is that material? Vinyl?

Since you offered, can you post the fittings for the filter attachement from post #253 and the elbow part from #264?

Thanks!

Edit: I just looked at the first post and saw you alreday posted the thing from post #253! So that's all good

The link for the filter end cap with text is not working, it goes no where as a heads up.

Edit: I just looked at the first post and saw you alreday posted the thing from post #253! So that's all good

The link for the filter end cap with text is not working, it goes no where as a heads up.

Thanks for letting me know - it should be fixed now. With that many links in the OP, it's a fair bet that I screw at least one or two of them up.

The printed right-angle pipe fitting seems to have worked out pretty well, all things considered!

I need to sand it a bit, glue the parts together, then XTC-3D the whole thing to give it a better finish, make it a little stronger, and maybe make sure it's properly airtight... but I'm quite happy with how this turned out. The flared end is just right for me to stretch the black rubber gas mask hose over, and air flows cleanly through the curve.

In other news...

My arm-or problem is solved. I got a bunch of 1/16" PETG sheets, went to the local university, and used their workshop and vacuum forming table to get a lot of production out of the way. I won't lie, we did not do a great job at first with the pulls, as we had to learn the foibles of the machine we were working with. If you get the pull just right you can make it release the part without too much fighting, but if you heat the plastic up too much it starts hugging the buck really snugly and forms a vacuum that can be a colossal pain to remove. We actually broke one of the first pulls by trying to pull it off the buck too hard, causing the plastic to tear. By the end of the day, though, we had the process down pat and were popping out some great pulls.

The one piece we cracked trying to get it off the buck. Whoops!

I'm thrilled with this process and think the results are dynamite. I'm going to be trimming these down, and I think the scraps I have from the 24x24" pieces from before molding are going to be big enough to do the biceps with, since the biceps seem to be simple curves without any musculature on them. It's a shame the vacuum former doesn't have a big enough bed to do the torso, or I'd honestly be considering redoing my breastplate to be more screen-accurate right now.

Those forearms came out great!

In other notes all the other parts that I have downloaded and printed from you have printed great and look like they are going to work really well. I just pulled the first of the "T" fittings off the printer and put it together and it looks really nice. Scale looks pretty good to me, though I don't have my filter in hand to compare, I'm just eyeballing it.

You said you cut down your air filters to be shorter and to have a smaller diameter at the wide end, what did you use to cut it?

Those forearms came out great!

In other notes all the other parts that I have downloaded and printed from you have printed great and look like they are going to work really well. I just pulled the first of the "T" fittings off the printer and put it together and it looks really nice. Scale looks pretty good to me, though I don't have my filter in hand to compare, I'm just eyeballing it.

You said you cut down your air filters to be shorter and to have a smaller diameter at the wide end, what did you use to cut it?
'

I was trying to figure out if a dremel with a cutting wheel was a good call, or if I should use scissors, but the closest thing I had on hand at the time was a jeweller's saw:

KXSAWFRAME.jpg

One of these things. Very fine blades. Actually worked really well, provided you hold the blade straight. I was surprised how easily it sawed through the paper. Would recommend having one anyway, it's useful in a bunch of situations, like when I cut the jaw of my resin mask open into a separate piece.

Yea I think I have one of those floating around the tool box somewhere. Good call.

Hey Ein, can you post that 90 degree elbow thing you made please ? Thanks!

I sure can, now that I've confirmed it's working! Thank you for reminding me - the files should be in the OP properly now.

I got them glued together and XTC-3D'ed them and they fit quite comfortably on the piping I have:

vTAs3RJl.jpg

Annnnddd... here's a test rig of the entire closed system:

9jsbzbml.jpg

Not much to look at, so let me put my money where my mouth is and demonstrate that this thing is actually, somehow, working!

This is exciting - it's actually doing the job! It'll only get better once everything is properly fitted, but I really need the airbag itself done before I can cut everything down properly to stuff it in. A lot of the system as pictured has extra tubing (such as right after the line in the fan) so that I can maneuver the flow around in whichever direction will ultimately prove necessary. Quite thrilled with it, and since this is a big hurdle that's now solved, I can prioritize finishing the rest of the visual parts of the costume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Immortan Joe Progress Log - WIP with 3d Models and now working air filtration!

Two other bits of note for the day. First, I had the opportunity to go back into NYC's garment district, and this time I went there with the mission of finding fun odds and ends for Joe's scepter.

I don't have a lot of great, clear reference imagery for what's supposed to be on this thing, but... that was almost a breath of fresh air, to be honest. I got to just dig around in bits of trimming, buttons, whatever I could find to pick things that looked neat and thematic out. My goal was to keep it cheap and I think I got away with a pretty good assortment of odds and ends.

These, plus some bottlecaps and other miscellaneous things I already had lying around should make for a pretty fun start to the scepter. Yes, I mixed a single googly eye in, because I'm allowed to be less serious here.

Also, after further review, I decided the revised "500" shin badge was nice, but too thin for my liking. I redid it in a quick and dirty way by extruding the outer edges by like .5 of a millimeter around the entire thing. Works well enough:

Link for it is here if anyone cares.

I've got a lot of actual work to do tomorrow, but I'm hoping by Friday I will have a lot more done, particularly the arm armor that needs to be cleaned up following the earlier vacuum pulls.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back