Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

CI-82075987230164056-e1422051352979.jpg

Please don't have Han scratch Chewie's face/neck, as though he's some kind of servile pet monkey, like he did in that deleted footage. It's humiliating to Chewbacca.

The Wook

Please don't have Han scratch Chewie's face/neck, as though he's some kind of servile pet monkey, like he did in that deleted footage. It's humiliating to Chewbacca.

The Wook

Doesn't Luke do that to him in ESB when they are saying goodbye and Chewie hugs him?

I'm guessing they mean reputation. But who knows. Maybe Han Solo is an adopted name and real name was Mclovin.

Instead of how knights are knighted, pirates and smugglers just hit one another over the head with their blaster butt. Then they are dubbed pirates and/or smugglers.

I guess they could flesh out his marriage to the alien chick in the Cantina on Mos Eisly that he was supposedly with.

She was just a booty call! Duh! You don't marry the girl you picked up at a bar!

Doesn't Luke do that to him in ESB when they are saying goodbye and Chewie hugs him?

He does. But they have a different relationship, and it was a big goodbye. What really rubs me, if you'll pardon the pun, the wrong way, is the casual setting and casual way in which Han does it in the deleted scene. It's very emasculating to Chewie.

The Wook

Han pets Chewie's head in ANH when they have just been hiding in the smuggling compartments.

I knew someone would bring this up. lol But it's just not the same. That was a very tense moment, and Han was seated above Chewie, making it a very natural gesture. But in the cantina, it's such a casual setting and relaxed moment, that it's demeaning to Chewie.

The Wook

I knew someone would bring this up. lol But it's just not the same. That was a very tense moment, and Han was seated above Chewie, making it a very natural gesture. But in the cantina, it's such a casual setting and relaxed moment, that it's demeaning to Chewie.

The Wook
I was going to reply with some Wookie SJW sarcasm, but then I remembered you ARE the Wook and you know how it must feel to be so publically humiliated.

WOOKIE POWER!

You're something else, Wook. :)

Yes. I've been told that a lot. Not sure what to make of it. lol

I was going to reply with some Wookie SJW sarcasm, but then I remembered you ARE the Wook and you know how it must feel to be so publically humiliated.

WOOKIE POWER!

Being scratched like that in such a casual setting and in such a casual moment is definitely demeaning--kinda like when someone spells it "wookie" instead of the correct, "wookiee". ;)

The Wook

I would be utterly shocked if this movie was good. That's not a knock against the directors or actors or anyone involved in the production. I just think the script will never live up to the hype, even if Kasdan and his son are writing it.

I really do not like the idea of this movie at all, but they must know what they're doing if Kennedy and company see something really special from all this. I don't think they just drew it out of a raffle box at random.

I didn't think Rogue One was going to be nearly as good as I enjoyed it after it was released, so I just need to suck it up and not get pissy over everything with it in production and no trailers or footage out yet.

The Wook

Didn't Lucas say that after ANH he changed his mind on Chewie being the dog in the passenger seat (where he got the idea)? Chewie went from being a kind of pet to an intelligent equal.

I did...19 years and going strong!

Ok so it's not a proven theory... :lol

Didn't Lucas say that after ANH he changed his mind on Chewie being the dog in the passenger seat (where he got the idea)? Chewie went from being a kind of pet to an intelligent equal.

Not sure if he said that, but George says lots of things which aren't true.

While Chewie's role certainly grew in ESB, he was most definitely not an unintelligent pet in ANH--a movie in which he flys a spaceship, and arranges a meeting between Han, Obi Wan and Luke. Don't you remember that scene??

Obi Wan: "Hi, I'm Ben. I'm looking for transport to another system. Do you know of anyone who has a ship for hire?
Chewbacca: "Hi, I'm Chewbacca. I'm first mate on a ship that might suit you.".
Obi Wan: "I'd like to meet the pilot. Can you arrange that?
Chewbacca: "Yes. Come with me."

And IIRC, Ben Burtt said George described Chewie as "intelligent" and "he flys a spaceship", when tasking Burtt with creating his voice in 1976.

The Wook

Last edited:

Not sure if he said that, but George says lots of things which aren't true.

While Chewie's role certainly grew in ESB, he was most definitely not an unintelligent pet in ANH--a movie in which he flys a spaceship, and arranges a meeting between Han, Obi Wan and Luke. Don't you remember that scene??

Obi Wan: "Hi, I'm Ben. I'm looking for transport to another system. Do you know of anyone who has a ship for hire?
Chewbacca: "Hi, I'm Chewbacca. I'm first mate on a ship that might suit you.".
Obi Wan: "I'd like to meet the pilot. Can you arrange that?
Chewbacca: "Yes. Come with me."

And IIRC, Ben Burtt said George described Chewie as "intelligent" and "he flys a spaceship", when tasking Burtt with creating his voice in 1976.

The Wook

I didn't mean he was literally a pet, but just that he was treated diifferently in ANH than ESB.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back