Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

image-30-04-15-03-04-1.jpeg

Why didn't they choose him?? Why oh why?!?

anthonyingruber2.jpg

anthonyingruber.jpg

Because they were seeking an actor to play young Han Solo when they should've been seeking an actor to play Harrison Ford. Which is exactly what they did for Age of Adeline and after watching that I honestly thought the search was over.

'oh no, we don't want someone to do an impression of Ford, we want someone to emulate him'. Idiots!

Because they were seeking an actor to play young Han Solo when they should've been seeking an actor to play Harrison Ford. Which is exactly what they did for Age of Adeline and after watching that I honestly thought the search was over.

'oh no, we don't want someone to do an impression of Ford, we want someone to emulate him'. Idiots!

No, they wanted an ACTOR who could deliver the performance while emboiding the character of Han Solo, not Harrison Ford. Big difference from one who is simply a mimic or doppelgänger. The performance is what sells it.

No, they wanted an ACTOR who could deliver the performance while emboiding the character of Han Solo, not Harrison Ford. Big difference from one who is simply a mimic or doppelgänger. The performance is what sells it.
I'm with you here. Acting the role is more important than subtleties of facial features or hair line.

Was watching The Hobbit this weekend with my kids. Stuart Freeman nailed Bilbo without looking just like a younger Sir Ian Holmes. Yes there are plenty of other problems with the Hobbit movies... but who plays Bilbo isn't one of them.

Thats as may be but I was sold on his performance in Age of Adeline. I see nothing of Han Solo or Harrison Ford in Alden so your point is wasted on me.

Bryancd, you know it's just Star Wars, right. We're not talking MacBeth, here. Besides, plenty of ACTORS have been in Star Wars and they didn't always deliver a stellar performance. (Hayden Christensen? Remember him?) Yes, I know Disney wants to make money and all that, but it would have been nice if they would take some chances once and awhile and not just follow the formula of picking the "flavor of the month". Which is a weird turn of events, considering that they, allegedly, auditioned hundreds of ACTORS for the part trying to find just the right person.

Personally, I think Ingruber would have been great and he wouldn't have had to imitate Ford to do it, either. He's got a great voice on his own. I have to admit, that after repeated viewings of his bit in "Adeline", they kind of overdid it with his imitation (and too much of a lopsided grin). But, I think his performance showed a lot of promise and he had a great presence, I thought.

But, we'll see how it goes. I still think it's a mistake to tackle a Han Solo backstory, though.

Um . . .because you haven't seen Alden play Han Solo in one frame of film yet, perhaps?

M

Thats right and I don't want to. There's lots of ACTORS I never wanted to see in a Star Wars movie but none of them played well known iconic characters.

Bryan, I know you're not so naive to believe that the best actor always gets the role. Hollywood roles are frequently given to actors because of personal relationships, and kindred affiliations (to put it politely).

A few years ago, Steven Spielberg met Alden at a bat-mitzvah, took a liking to him, and has been opening doors for him ever since. Steven's first call was to Francis Ford Coppola, who promptly cast Alden in one of his films. And most recently, Spielberg called Kathleen Kennedy, securing Alden the very first audition for Han Solo. Disney says they auditioned 3,000 actors after that, but I say that's a crock. But even if they did, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that it was a charade, and that Alden landing the role was a fait accompli.

No, I haven't seen him play Han yet, but I don't have to, in order to know that Anthony Ingruber is the far superior choice.

The Wook

Bryan, I know you're not so naive to believe that the best actor always gets the role. Hollywood roles are frequently given to actors because of personal relationships, and kindred affiliations (to put it politely).

A few years ago, Steven Spielberg met Alden at a bat-mitzvah, took a liking to him, and has been opening doors for him ever since. Steven's first call was to Francis Ford Coppola, who promptly cast Alden in one of his films. And most recently, Spielberg called Kathleen Kennedy, securing Alden the very first audition for Han Solo. Disney says they auditioned 3,000 actors after that, but I say that's a crock. But even if they did, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that it was a charade, and that Alden landing the role was a fait accompli.

No, I haven't seen him play Han yet, but I don't have to, in order to know that Anthony Ingruber is the far superior choice.

The Wook

personally I didn't find anything compelling about Anthony but that's subjective. I do believe Disney was very careful regarding this casting and the directors clearly had something very specific in mind for the kind of performance they wanted based on the story they wish to tell. I also dont think Anthony has the credentials or chops to carry a $125-$150M film project. Whether or not Alden succeeds remains to be seen.

personally I didn't find anything compelling about Anthony but that's subjective. I do believe Disney was very careful regarding this casting and the directors clearly had something very specific in mind for the kind of performance they wanted based on the story they wish to tell. I also dont think Anthony has the credentials or chops to carry a $125-$150M film project. Whether or not Alden succeeds remains to be seen.

Then I stand corrected. You are that naive.

No offense, of course. ;)

The Wook

Then I stand corrected. You are that naive.

No offense, of course. ;)

The Wook

LOL! Well, I would say the casting machine for LucasFilm has been firing on all cylinders for TFA and R1 based on general fan reactions so I am very much willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, they have earned that. To say you don't need to see a performance to know that it will be lacking is also somewhat naive, so we have that in common. :)

You know, it IS possible he could an outstanding job, right?

I can admit to him not being my first (or second or third) choice for the part - but - i have no framework of him whatsoever IN the part. There's no one in the age range you can say is a definite 'hit' in that role.

When it comes out, maybe he won't be any good, maybe he'll be OK, or maybe he'll knock it out of the park. I can only hope it's one of the latter two. But, you know, it's not really worth swearing it off with no clue at all how he'll do.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back