Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

Leaked from the set...

585a8b238c656cc1716cef61448f5f39.jpg

Yeah this seems pretty good so far, casting wise. Still not sure on the Han actor. This might be the first SW movie with the most well known actors in it.

Yeah this seems pretty good so far, casting wise. Still not sure on the Han actor. This might be the first SW movie with the most well known actors in it.
True. Very true. But maybe that will pull in a larger crowd of even people that are new to the StarWars universe

I think it's lining up to be a really good cast though let's just hope they aren't wasted on a crap script. I don't have a lot of faith in the anthology movies. Rogue one was not very good in my opinion. I've said it before and I stand by it. Fans already have 40 years of theories on how Han met Chewie, how he won the Falcon from Lando, and how he flew the Kessel run in under 12 Parsecs. Nothing they commit to film is going to satisfy everyone. To my mind it's just fan service. It's not going to deepen the character any. I mean who wants to watch a Han Solo movie BEFORE he becomes the cocky space cowboy everyone loves from the original film? Did people honestly think that watching a 2 plus hour movie of Anthony Ingruber doing an awkward Harrison Ford impression was going to be watchable? Han's story is over as far as I'm concerned. He started off as a selfish jerk in ANH but found out that he actually cared about his new found friends by the end of the movie. In Empire he fell in love with Leia and did his best to protect her. By Jedi he was a General in the Rebellion, leading the attack on the bunker in an effort to finally help defeat the Empire. By The Force Awakens we see that though he had his faults he did try to do the right thing and save his son only to die in the process. I mean it's tragic, but at least his character had a full story arc with emotion.

I'm sorry I know I must be in the minority on this. I hope that I'm completely wrong and I'm surprised. I just don't have confidence that they can come up with a script that won't feel like a wink at the camera every 20 minutes with some forced reference to something we already know just as a way to get fans to say, "I know that! I love that because I know what it is!" The two aliens from the Cantina bumping into Jyn in Rogue One comes to mind and I rolled my eyes. Will I be watching this new Han Solo movie? Of course, even if it is out of morbid curiosity. I mean it's Star Wars. Even if it's bad, I gotta see it at least once.

If Han had a heart of gold under the cocky self-interested smuggler attitude in ANH then there was almost surely a backstory there. That kind of character happens when somebody starts out with some heart but it gets wrung out of them by a difficult life. So I could see a backstory with Han.

But whether filming that backstory will ever live up to expectations . . . that's a different issue. IMO Han's history is probably better left to the imagination.

The problem (for Disney) is that they have to make a movie out of Han going from a good guy to a bad guy. The movie has to end with him in full-on selfish rogue mode. Will Disney be willing to do that? Doubtful.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back