Star Trek TOS Communicator from The Wand Company

Anybody with both the phaser and comm care to comment on comparative quality? Is the comm better? There were a few minor QC issues with the phaser, and I remember the stink. But so far everybody's loving their comms, which sounds like good news. :)

Not knocking the Phaser but the Comm feels how should I say, more robust, maybe just the nature of the beast but it does seem to be better made

Anybody with both the phaser and comm care to comment on comparative quality? Is the comm better? There were a few minor QC issues with the phaser, and I remember the stink. But so far everybody's loving their comms, which sounds like good news. :)

I've seen a few pics posted and the haircell texture looks odd but it may be just the flash.
If you have one, how does the texture look in person?

I like mine, and the good news is that the 'fcc' square isn't on the charging base- that means a velcro mod won't comprise charging :D

Alright, just got it. Yes, I did seek out the mail guy...found him on the corner.

I agree that the phaser is the best 150.00 phaser we've seen; however, it does feel like a toy.

Now, the communicator on the other hand, satisfies the mind's eye and the physical expectations of what one would expect an actual communicator to be. Simply put, it just feels right. It is a great deal more slim than what we're accustomed too, but there's no arguing the source material. It is as it should be.

Good heft and solid engineering. It's presently charging so I'll get into the features later.

In short, I'm much more impressed with the communicator than the phaser. My only gripe may turn into a blessing. The grill is terribly tight. I know they've done this by design, undoubtedly to slow down that hard, torturous stop by flicking it open. Over time, I can see how it would lead to issues depending on how the electronics are seated. I've seen others reference the plastic buttons. Provided they're well plated, I'm not concerned. Time will tell there. Agreed, aluminum would look better.

-Rylo

Not knocking the Phaser but the Comm feels how should I say, more robust, maybe just the nature of the beast but it does seem to be better made

- - - Updated - - -

A bit different than what you and I are accustomed to. Never having held one of Greg's, I made peace with it pretty fast presuming they worked hard to get it right.

I've seen a few pics posted and the haircell texture looks odd but it may be just the flash.
If you have one, how does the texture look in person?

Last edited:
I am frustrated with the fact that I can't find a good voice voice dialer/call app for my Android phone. The one that came with it sucks and the Google one is worse :/

- - - Updated - - -

But I agree with the design. It feels just right in my hand :D

Well my kids Christmas present will only be six months late but should be here on July 10 from ThinkGeek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else notice this:

While charging the communicator the base light pulses red as the instructions indicate. Now, according to the instructions, you'll get a blue-green pulse when charged. I have that, but there's also an occasional red pulse in the mix. It doesn't say anything about that.

-Rylo

I had a hunch it would turn out to be more solidly built than the phaser, because I've been getting the impression from TWC that they actually listen to their customers. That's very, very good news. Unfortunately, I suspect the WC tricorder may be more than just two years off, because of the X-Prize. OTOH, maybe we'll get a real tricorder after that, too. :)

It's a very clever prop. They've done a nice job of making the voice samples interactive. The first click is a greeting and then the double click acknowledges.

Enterprise, Spock here.
insert silly question....
Affirmative, Captain. Spock out.

I'm coming around on the antenna clutch. It is nice not having to fight it to stay open. I am concerned I'm gonna break the damned thing opening it though. It does take some effort!

I had a hunch it would turn out to be more solidly built than the phaser, because I've been getting the impression from TWC that they actually listen to their customers. That's very, very good news. Unfortunately, I suspect the WC tricorder may be more than just two years off, because of the X-Prize. OTOH, maybe we'll get a real tricorder after that, too. :)

Anyone else notice this:

While charging the communicator the base light pulses red as the instructions indicate. Now, according to the instructions, you'll get a blue-green pulse when charged. I have that, but there's also an occasional red pulse in the mix. It doesn't say anything about that.

-Rylo

Is it properly aligned with the base? If its misaligned, you'll get a red light.

That one is pretty identifiable. It stopped doing it right about the time I was gonna shoot a video.

Damn, the sound is nice and clear, too. Happy, happy, joy, joy.

-Rylo

Is it properly aligned with the base? If its misaligned, you'll get a red light.

Last edited:
Anyone else notice this:

-Rylo
Sounds like the base is a float charger. It'll monitor the charge level of the battery and top it off whenever it dips a certain amount below 100%.

-Jeff

OK mine came today, thought it would be next so that was a nice surprise. So the TOS duel tone is there when you take a call through it. So no need to download anything.
My cell is an old flip phone too and all worked well.

Anyone else's moire ring seated loosely? It may be my eyes messing with me but it also seems the moire gets a bit of a tic in it at the top of it's rotation. Again, could be my eyes but it almost appears to drag a little at one point.

My ring is definitely seated loosely though. I can shift it a little. Clearly by design if everyone's does it.

Mine did the same thing, now quit yer bellyaching and post a Vid! :D

Anyone else notice this:

-Rylo

On Spock it is jog up: Enterprise Spock here

Spock Ry and I are beaming up have the big ======Orion Slave girl in my Rec room 3

jog up AND HOLD: Please repeat Capt. I did'nt recieve that

Oh yes you did you green blooded son of a ...

Double jog up: Affirmative Capt! Enterprise out.

C'mon Bro, Let's get it right! ;)

It's a very clever prop. They've done a nice job of making the voice samples interactive. The first click is a greeting and then the double click acknowledges.

Enterprise, Spock here.
insert silly question....
Affirmative, Captain. Spock out.

I'm coming around on the antenna clutch. It is nice not having to fight it to stay open. I am concerned I'm gonna break the damned thing opening it though. It does take some effort!

Anyone else's moire ring seated loosely? It may be my eyes messing with me but it also seems the moire gets a bit of a tic in it at the top of it's rotation. Again, could be my eyes but it almost appears to drag a little at one point.

My ring is definitely seated loosely though. I can shift it a little. Clearly by design if everyone's does it.

I have two, one is tight does not move, the other turns a few degrees.

- - - Updated - - -

No Shat sound bites?
Bumma.

Mine doesn't do that Rylo. My ring has no movement and the moire turns smoothly without hesitation.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back