Star Trek TOS Communicator from The Wand Company

What the **** is an Alpha?

It's either a Quadrant we live in and/or what comes before Omega.

Something occurred to me though. Don't people in the future from Archer to Picard feel the need to have a private conversation? There's no expectation of privacy with the communication devices of the future.

It seems to me that they do have private conversations when they are in their private quarters. But they do not have private conversations out in public like we do today on our cell phones.

Whenever they need to talk to somebody privately they go into another room or across the room and talk either face to face or wisper into the communicator.

They also have an equivalent of subspace email if I remember right.

I noticed after a day of use there's a speckle or two of spit on the moire. I'm hoping a damp tissue is safe. Not like I'me one of those guys who spit a lot when they talk but every once in a while a bit goes flying.

I found out about that site a few days ago and have spent hours geeking out reading every little thing on it. Fascinating, as a certain green-blooded fellow liked to say.
Amazing, isn't it? They really nail down the authenticity of Alpha there. I was very down on it a while back, but I saw their screen-matching of a copper oxide blemish on the inside of the lid, and their discovery of part of the chain of ownership via the guy's SS# scratched into the midplate. They subsequently tracked him down, he sent pictures of him with the prop back in the day, and Bob's your uncle. That was really impressive. :)

Just finished building an Alpha replica myself, based on info on Herocomm.com. Pretty incredible amount of forensic detail on that site!

I just got a tracking update from UPS. My communicator was in transit on this train which crashed and burned in Texas. :eek Kind of puts everything into perspective.

920x920_zpsao6qvs0u.jpg

I noticed after a day of use there's a speckle or two of spit on the moire. I'm hoping a damp tissue is safe. Not like I'me one of those guys who spit a lot when they talk but every once in a while a bit goes flying.

I've already cleaned mine by exhaling on it to cause a little condensation and a gentle wipe with a Q-Tip.

I asked the person that posted the pictures of his holster for permission to post them here (Trek Prop Zone rules). If he says OK, I'll post a few pics. It's a professional quality leather holster and VERY attractive.

I'm over the road right now heading to Kitty Hawk NC for a holiday. When we stop for the night I'll post pictures of the holster and a link of where you can order one.

Last edited:
I've already cleaned mine by exhaling on it to cause a little condensation and a gentle wipe with a Q-Tip.
You can use a microfiber cloth, I'm sure. If you can clean smartphone glass and camera lenses with one and not damage the delicate coatings, I'm sure the comm will survive it. :) Also, compressed air is great. Blows dust right off. I've even used it on my kydex communicator now and then -- I just close the lid and blast. You might want to keep the nozzle a couple of inches away, depending on where your regulator is set, and maybe not open the valve all the way. Canned air is also your friend. :)

I wondered if it would stick to the charger and actually charge through the extra thickness of some Velcro, so I tried it with a piece of Velcro just placed behind it. Works fine.

So I stuck Velcro on it. :)

On one hand, I feel like I'm adulterating a beautiful prop. On the other hand, the originals had Velcro on them, so on some level I'm making it more accurate. ;)

A member of the Trek Prop Zone designed and sells a leather pouch for The Wand Company Communicator. Here are some pictures and a contact email address if you'd like to order one.

karl@skin-job.com
USD $99.00 each with or without arrowhead logo
USD $15.00 insured, tracked shipping

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
And my communicator is going back.

Oh, not because it's faulty, or damaged. No, the person who took my order over the phone put the same zip code in both the shipping and the billing spots. Fed ex got confused today and sent it back. It should have been in my hands today, but now it's got to make its way back and forth again. Normally shipping software won't even allow that to happen.

Sigh.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back