Star Trek TOS Communicator from The Wand Company

The short black lines, surrounding the moiré (between the silver ring and actual moiré) kind of bug me.

Indeed, the Alpha prop had that. So it makes the Wand Communicator even more accurate.

The only thing that kinda bugs me is that the manual says it needs a 4 hour charge, but after charging it for 6 hours the LED on the stand was still red.

I shot a bunch of pix of mine, with some comparisons to a DStines hero and JLong dummy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/karltate/albums/72157667488646794

27870376926_c867d3c337_b.jpg

And a quick video showing how hard it is to flick open, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y8Chj2zVW0

Indeed, the Alpha prop had that. So it makes the Wand Communicator even more accurate.

The only thing that kinda bugs me is that the manual says it needs a 4 hour charge, but after charging it for 6 hours the LED on the stand was still red.

Is it fading between red and yellow or flashing red? I don't have the manual in front of me but I think a red light indicates the communicator is not aligned on the charging pad.

Which one of Greg's comms did they scan? I didn't think any of his had a mid-wheel plate?

The texture on the Wand is disappointing, but not THAT bad once you get over it. The whole Wand has a plasticky, "manufactured product" feel to it, which I chalk up to the case plastic and to the painted flipgrid antenna. On removing it from the box I got a "Diamond Select" vibe.

The plastic jewels are not helping either. They have a nice finish, but compared to the glass Swarovski crystals on my DStines, they don't hold a candle.

That said, it's hands-down the best commercial comm replica we've ever seen. And it is a blast to play with. I still give it :thumbsup

I was wondering if they plated or painted the antenna.

Agreed. :thumbsup

The texture on the Wand is disappointing, but not THAT bad once you get over it. The whole Wand has a plasticky, "manufactured product" feel to it, which I chalk up to the case plastic and to the painted flipgrid antenna. On removing it from the box I got a "Diamond Select" vibe.

The plastic jewels are not helping either. They have a nice finish, but compared to the glass Swarovski crystals on my DStines, they don't hold a candle.

That said, it's hands-down the best commercial comm replica we've ever seen. And it is a blast to play with. I still give it :thumbsup

Wand's info says the flipgrid is steel, chromed and then "heat treated" with polymer coating, by which I assume they mean spray paint. :lol

The perforated grid metal is formed too narrow, and doesn't cover up the flipgrid wire like it should on Alpha, that's another minor bummer. Gives the comm a too-narrow appearance. Also the back angle on the flipgrid is WAY sharp.

On the plus side, the gridwheels are nicely sunk into the casing. Hate that "gridwheels on top" look that most comm replicas have.

Midplate is supposed to be diecast, and the moire ring is supposed to be machined aluminum, but both are coated with something that makes them look the same. Pity, because the raw aluminum would have looked better.

It's probably a tinted clear enamel powder coat, which has to be baked at high temperature after spraying in order for the powder to fuse and polymerize. However, "baked-on enamel" makes it sound like a refrigerator, hence "heat-treated polymer coating." :p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back