Painting a cold cast badge

sp1derman

Sr Member
Hi guys I've got a cold cast badge and I have no idea how to weather it and paint it. surely I don't want to paint it gold? Do I brasso it and the just a black dry wash? I don't do much painting so at a loss?
Thanks

Painting? I thought cold-cast was already a metalic look. I just rubbed the ones I bought with wire-wool.
I want it to have a dirty look more like the screen used ones mine just looks way to clean lol IMG_20150707_203949.JPG

A simple ink wash should help to dirty it up ... Alternatively, you can pick up some burnt umber and coal black oil paints and thin them with mineral spirits. The advantage of the oils is it may be easier to remove than standard inks. Test the back surface of the badge before you commit to anything so that you do not damage the clod cast surface.

I usually do my weathering with acrylic paint, since it can easily be washed off while wet. It also tends to be a matte finish, which feels more 'dirty' to me than something shiny.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back