Painting Bandai R2 Dome

Jimmer

I recently completed the Bandai R2 dome and filled the seam with Tamiya putty (my first attempt with this product) and am very happy with the result. I've not upgraded to airbrush and had planned on painting the dome with Krylon Fusion Silver spray paint.

I would have never even considered using spray paint on a model, until I saw a customizer on another site paint his dome with this product and end result was pretty nice. (Probably not up to par with what you guys do, but looked much better than standard color and is something I'm comfortable with).

Anyway, I went to purchase this paint and found that silver has been discontined in the Krylon Fusion line. I did find Krylon Cover Maxx in Metallic Silver. The color looks perfect and product claims it will adhere to plastic with no primer necessary. (I do plan on sealing it afterward).

Just curious if anyone has used this paint, or would know any reason this would be a bad idea.

Thanks

Lacking any other comments, just remember to test your 'new' materials before committing to the model. I have seen several different brands of 'chrome repair' paint from the auto touch-up makers that give really good results. But, as always, you need to make sure the plastic and paint are compatible. That is where those left over sprues come in, other than for heat-stretching for fine wires / rods.

R/ Robert

I've never found a better affordable rattle-can "chrome" spraypaint than Dupli-Color CS101 Chrome Instant Enamel Spray. It has the look of polished steel.

Attachments

• DSCF5203_zps8d2479e9.jpg
    DSCF5203_zps8d2479e9.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 167
How did you deal with the seam lines vs the blue parts on the dome? I didn't like how some of the blue parts had to be inserted from the inserted before closing up the dome, since I'm kinda bad at masking.

You need to do a bit of cutting to some of the parts that go into the dome,.....some of them slide through from behind on the inside of the dome so a bit of the internal structure of the dome needs cutting away also

By the end of it I glued the dome together with no blue parts on it,......filled the seamline & painted it

The blue parts were pushed in afterwards

J

What blue are you using, out of interest? I'm about to get stuck into one of these.

Car aerosol Citroen Poseidon Blue,.....the net found that some R2 builders recommended that colour,....its meant to be the same colour used by Pepsi

J

If you guys won't boot me for one more question: I'm loving these guys so much I'm considering painting the bodies to get a little more screen accurate. Has anyone done this? (any recommendations on the best white paint for accuracy? I don't have an airbrush, so would have to be acrylic or spray.)

Thanks

If you guys won't boot me for one more question: I'm loving these guys so much I'm considering painting the bodies to get a little more screen accurate. Has anyone done this? (any recommendations on the best white paint for accuracy? I don't have an airbrush, so would have to be acrylic or spray.)

Thanks

I just used Hycote car spray for the R5,....haven't finished him yet or done the same with R2 yet:

IMG_1851.jpg

R5.jpg

"Did you find any droids?" by Bandai

J

Thanks Jaitea.

looks good. What really prompted me was that I noticed a "swirl" in the plastic in middle of R5's face. Not bad, but as much as I like these models figured I should go all out.
Just ordered Bandai 3P0. Figured Hasbro wouldn't get close to its quality anyway.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back