Ant Man - convince me it's not totally lame

Missed this on first pass...

If Marvel were truly scraping the barrel then they might have trotted out characters like ROM the Space Knight

I'm gonna have to disagree with you, there. Rom: Spaceknight was the first Marvel series I collected. Even before X-Men. I was riveted by issue number 1 on the rack and have the whole series, the late-'90s follow-on series Spaceknights, I was thrilled when he and Brandy showed up at Rick Jones' wedding, and I've been annoyed beyond description that Mattel won't let Marvel do anything with the character. Every appearance after the original run ended has been stylized or Rom's humanoid form, after being de-cyborged. Rom is one I would dearly love to see in the MCU.

I also have a feeling I will be applauding Marvel's farsightedness five or six years down the road. We are getting well-set-up for the Young Avengers to come into their own when this current generation of actors starts getting too old. Scott Lang's daughter -- in the comics and in this movie, Cassie, is one of them. Vision and Scarlet Witch's two kids are two of them, two more are associated with the Kree, one is Loki reincarnated after his death (Ragnarok can easily set this up), and a few have no known ties to past/existing characters, so don't need the backstory -- although in the comics Kate Bishop gets the Hawkeye name and bow with Cap's blessing after Clint died (temporarily). I can easily see it being more of a passing of the torch thing in the MCU, though, when Clint retires to his farm when he decides he's getting too old for that stuff. Point is, there's a whole new generation of Marvel heroes waiting in the wings, assuming Marvel Studios can keep telling good stories. I do not feel this is oversaturation at all. But then, I adore longform storytelling. YMMV.

--Jonahh

I just got home from the theater, watched the movie. It was honestly great. Better than I expected it to be. I do admit that the film had a slow start, for about the first 30 minutes or so. But as it progresses, it gets better and better. The action scenes were really great, and they worked surprisingly well for little people fighting.

MILD SPOILER:
Watch out for the scene when Falcon asks about Ant-Man. You'll hear a wee bit of Spidey references.

Personally I don't have $75 a month to spend on movies (that's what it costs to take 3 people 80 miles round trip to see a 1st run film) and I'm likely not the only person who finds that to be a chunk of change to lay out for 2 hours of non-live entertainment. A movie has to intrigue me enough to make me want to see it in the theater.

Holy S***, 80 miles round trip? I live in the east coast in a fairly big city (Washington, DC), but 80 miles to get to a theater and back cant possibly be standard to a large part of the population even in the most backwards, central time zone, fly over states, can it? (No disrespect to those backwards, central time zone, fly over states :p)

I can see why you wouldn't go much. I pay $12 ($24 for me and wife) at the most expensive nicest theater and I have like 4 options with in a 5 min drive, I even take my own food most of the time and watch some on Sunday morning for $6. So yeah I watch a lot of movies sometimes....

Well, DMV region is expensive, add in IMAX or 3D you're looking at 13 dollars a pop, plus 25 dollars for snacks (That's just two large sodas and one large popcorn, I've seen people go all out probably spend $40-50 :sick)

Holy S***, 80 miles round trip? I live in the east coast in a fairly big city (Washington, DC), but 80 miles to get to a theater and back cant possibly be standard to a large part of the population even in the most backwards, central time zone, fly over states, can it? (No disrespect to those backwards, central time zone, fly over states :p)

I can see why you wouldn't go much. I pay $12 ($24 for me and wife) at the most expensive nicest theater and I have like 4 options with in a 5 min drive, I even take my own food most of the time and watch some on Sunday morning for $6. So yeah I watch a lot of movies sometimes....

The nearest theatre to watch a movie on opening day is 70 miles for me. We do have one that is 12 miles away, but since its a small town theatre, they don't usually get a movie until a month after it opens.

I have my ticket booked for the IMAX 3D showing tomorrow at 13:00, that's right I'm taking the day off to treat myself to watching the film in peace with like-minded considerate people who are willing to pay a lot of money for a cinema ticket to ensure they will be able to watch it without some knob getting their phone out halfway through to update their Facebook status or Tweet that they are sat in the cinema watching Ant Man.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back