My try at building the 1/6 Scale Falcon Cockpit

Yeah... the corners are the biggest culprits... sometimes on a long side too, but not as often. It helps if you are really careful not to touch the sticky side with your fingers (which is not an easy thing to do) because it seems like everywhere you touch seems to come up.

Great panels IzzyMel...I was thinking: those stripes could be done with a very thin marker...no? Easy to control and faster results.

Pin stripes are really tricky. I can't / wont tell you guys how many failures I've had ( ;) )trying different applications, whether painting pin stripes, using a pen, masking, etc, and at 1/6th scale... man-o-man... I can only imagine how tough it would be.

My thought would be to print a decal and overlay on top of the existing acrylic panel. You might get everything aligned, but then we have to think how we're going to apply all the different greeblies without ruining the decal.

It's one of those trial and error loops that never seem to end ;)

Yeah... the corners are the biggest culprits... sometimes on a long side too, but not as often. It helps if you are really careful not to touch the sticky side with your fingers (which is not an easy thing to do) because it seems like everywhere you touch seems to come up.

The pin striping themselves play a VERY significant role as well. A few years back, if some of you remember, I had one roll of pin stripe simply fail to adhere. Every pin stripe fell off the panel. I didn't even bother wondering if the rest of the roll was ok, I just tossed the entire roll and started over.

I'm sure there's a right and wrong way... but it also depends on the circumstance. I guess. :)

I had very good success with Staedtler Pigment Liner o.5 (not the smallest one) Your surface has to be mat and according the thickness of your pen, you might do a double line to respect your scale. Leave it to dry at least 24 hrs and then spray/airbrush with a clear mat/satin coat of varnish. I find the clear sealing varnish for acrylic paint to work better than any other ones. Of course, a test piece should be a must!

I had very good success with Staedtler Pigment Liner o.5 (not the smallest one) Your surface has to be mat and according the thickness of your pen, you might do a double line to respect your scale. Leave it to dry at least 24 hrs and then spray/airbrush with a clear mat/satin coat of varnish. I find the clear sealing varnish for acrylic paint to work better than any other ones. Of course, a test piece should be a must!

Thanks. I'll check it out.:D

I love Staedtler pens... I used to own a good set a long time ago but didn't know they came in white colored ink.

I love Staedtler pens... I used to own a good set a long time ago but didn't know they came in white colored ink.

I tried using pens and kept messing up... it was so frustrating! Fortunately it was all practice. And there was NO WAY I was going to post those horrible pics! ;)

No.. Staedtler pens are professional drafting pens specifically designed for creating perfect lines every time... really can't be beat. They really are something special bro... them and Rapid-o-graph pens can't be beat.

Looks AWESOME! You might not be finished yet (so forgive me)... the main beams taper and become thinner toward the front window. :) I wish ours would go that fast.

Now get back to work!

Looks AWESOME! You might not be finished yet (so forgive me)... the main beams taper and become thinner toward the front window. :) I wish ours would go that fast.

Now get back to work!

Thanks. I was just fitting the test pieces to get an idea of what it was going to look like and how to build it out. :)

Hey Iz,

The video is great! You've done an amazing job so far!

EDIT: Quick note on the panel pinstripes. Depending on how you plan to mount the back panels and side panels together, the back wall panels and side panels will overlap at the far corners going around the back wall (that's how the full scale version panels mount). This 1/4" overlap forced me to change the side panel pinstripes by moving them in towards the center of ea panel 1/4" - not sure what it be for the 1/6th scale - 1/8th?

I'm sure you've already addressed this but be sure to leave enough space between the edges so the pinstripes align properly. :)

Hope this made sense

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back