Star Wars Set Decorator is doing an AMA on reddit today!

Yes!! We need to ask what's the source of the T-TRACKS for the Graflex handles. He should know; he used so much if it and it's still a big mystery!

If anyone with a reddit account would be kind enough to upvote my question about Obi-Wan's lightsaber so Roger will see it, I would be grateful.

Last edited:
That would be crazy if he remembered and told us. There's so much of it in star wars that it is kinda strange

So many are under the misapprehension that Roger thought up the idea of the lightsaber too. :facepalm

It looks as though the tide has turned and my question has been upvoted a bunch. Thanks to anyone here who helped gain visibility for my question. It's a long wait until 5pm tomorrow, when Roger will start answering, I hope we can get some enlightenment on prop questions.

Last edited:
OMG! 2 weeks Mr. Christian already wrote this on reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/38qmu6/i_am_roger_christian_oscarwinning_star_wars_set/crx42fo

"..And there were these flash-handles.From an old press camera called a Graflex.
And I pulled one out, and just said "Oh my goodness, this is it."
And I bought the lot, raced back to the studios - and my set decorating room was FILLED with shelves of any bit of junk I found that was interesting, it was like a magpie's nest, and I had some rubber draft-excluder that was in T-shape, which I stuck on the Sterling sub-machine guns for the Stormtrooper weapons, and I stuck that to make it into a handle - I stuck seven of them around the end of it.
And I had an old calculator that I'd broken down, and I found a little strip of bubbles, like lenses, and those I stuck into the old grip of this flash-handle."

Really? Rubber T-tracks?
Could it be this? Mini Cooper profile?
http://www.minimania.com/part/EAM8531/Draft-Excluder-Left-Hand-Mini-Sliding-Window-Mini--Mini-Cooper

-Roy

35 years does things to one's memory; I'd take anything said about the movies, even by the people who worked on them, with a pinch of salt. I think the stuff discovered on this site alone has more credence than some of the things recollected from people who worked on the films 40 years ago. At least then it can be publicly verified.

Last edited:
With this info, are there any "tells" in any of the pics that with this suggestion, show the grips as rubber? I'm not sure where the broken/worn down ESB grips fit into this.

35 year does things to one's memory; I'd take anything said about the movies, even by the people who worked on them, with a pinch of salt. I think the stuff discovered on this site alone has more credence than some of the things recollected from people who worked on the films 40 years ago. At least then it can be publicly verified.

About 10 years ago when people were just figuring out the ESB Fett sidearm, I got an fiberglass replica from someone on The Dented Helmet and then subsequently got to stand near Jeremy Bulloch as a volunteer at the C3 autograph booth in my Fett armor. When I asked if he knew any info on the gun he claimed he never had a sidearm and started talking about the Webley, so I just let it go, But ya, a few decades will make you forget a few small details. But even so, it's always great to get first hand knowledge of any sort when it comes to the Star Was prop department.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back