Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Clown

Nothing big to report. The humidity actually dropped into the 30s last Thursday, and I was able to get a gloss coat on.

DSCN9531.JPG

Looks Great PWF,

I was finally lucky enough to score an original clown, I already started stripping him down, I found some light damage, his plastic torso is cracked in the left shoulder area and I'll have to make a new base, but other than that, (and swapping all the screen used stuff out), it's not bad, it runs very nice and quiet, even with the damage, I'm stoked to find one after all this time, I'll post some pics when it starts to look like something, right now I'm in the middle of making saddlebags and consoles.

I was finally lucky enough to score an original clown, I already started stripping him down, I found some light damage, his plastic torso is cracked in the left shoulder area and I'll have to make a new base, but other than that, (and swapping all the screen used stuff out), it's not bad, it runs very nice and quiet, even with the damage, I'm stoked to find one after all this time, I'll post some pics when it starts to look like something, right now I'm in the middle of making saddlebags and consoles.

Awesome!!! Clowns all around! I'm glad people on the thread are finding them.

Cool! Where did you find it? Looking forward to some photos, curious which variant you have.

On a side note, I did finish grassing the base - looks great! I have a lot of grass leftover, I'll measure to see how many bases it could make. Still need to find a good substitute wheel. I'll post some photos tomorrow as well. I've mostly been buying metalworking tools and materials - think I have everything I need to cut and assemble the mechanicals finally.

A couple photos of the Arbor View grass base - looks good to me!

Also a pic of the steel stock I'm using for the mechanicals (3/16" plate, 1/2" plate for cutting the various bars, several sizes of rods - 3/8", 1/4", 1/8" I think).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440519903.771243.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1440519917.756088.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1440519933.702761.jpg

Looks like a good match to me too, DB,

Maybe an optical illusion, but, in the first pic the wheels looks like they're on the short end, and the next pic looks like they're on the long end, which is it?

The wheels are on the short sides. I took one wheel off for measurements, so that's why you don't see it on the short side in the first photo.

Gotcha,:)

Are the legs in the pics the new skeleton you made?, any progress with molding the shoes?, and you bought an official "Dots the clown suit" right?, because there is another suit that's similar, it's a little cheaper, but a whole lot cheesier, I would advise everyone not to buy it.

I have the same clown as PeeWeeFan, I don't know if it's shorter than the other version, but it's fatter looking than the movie clown, I got it locally just across the state line in the Chicago area, the lady I got it from said she bought it in the early '80's, she did not elaborate on if she got it new or used.

Yep, the legs are the ones I've made. Once my new clown arrives, I'm going to mold his shoes and head for vacuum forming (I called today - they had the wrong email, so it's been sitting ready to ship for a couple weeks - sigh). I'm sure my wife will be thrilled when I have 100 clown heads in the hallway ..

The suit is 'Dots the clown', I believe it only comes in one size. From looking at the seam lines, wrist/leg elastic, dot size, and collar, it sure looks like the same suit as the movie to me. I'll post photos when I get the new collar trim and pom poms attached.

Here are some reference screen captures from the Blu-Ray (not great, but better than the DVD anyway). The first scene ..
Pictures_19526.jpgPictures_19584.jpgPictures_19597.jpgPictures_19755.jpgPictures_20090.jpgPictures_20149.jpgPictures_20232.jpgPictures_20348.jpgPictures_20322.jpgPictures_20529.jpg

Last edited:
Second and third scenes, incl. the 'up the sleeve' shot and the only good wide shot of the entire clown. I also never noticed that the left side of the clown's head has a wire or something going down it (in blurry small pictures, I assumed this was the head seam - but you can see right through it). My only guess is it's holding the hat or wig on, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense either. Hmm?
Pictures_23604.jpgPictures_23659.jpgPictures_27406.jpgPictures_27414.jpgPictures_27418.jpgPictures_27358.jpgPictures_27425.jpgPictures_27431.jpgPictures_27476.jpg

Last edited:
Triple-post ..

A few more observations ..
- The middle pom pom looks more like dark purple to me, so I'm going to dye mine slightly (the place I got my pom poms from doesn't have a good match for purple)
- The gloves appear to be more cloth-like (looks like a hole between the thumb and index finger too - oops).
- Maybe an illusion, but the upper body seems a lot more puffy after the bike is chained onto him.
- Funny that they painted faint nostril lines on the evil face ;)
- In the wide shot you can see the plaque or card on the corner of the base (mentioned a few pages back - mine has staples and remnants of a card in the opposite corner)
- Jury's still out on the hat material ..
- The ruffle collar and trim looks right on the Dots the Clown suit package. But the current suit you get has red trim and a shorter top collar. I was already planning to fix the trim, but I think I'll make a new top collar that's longer too.

Last edited:
Great pics!!! Wish I had them sooner! I noticed that the line around the face and the eyes are in fact dark green. I painted mine black based on the available poor DVD pics. I don't feel too bad though - the Volo Museum did the same thing!

The gloves are definitely not original to the clown. In the wide shots where you can see the whole clown, the split in the right-hand glove is very noticeable. The gloves are likely just white driving gloves.

I am still inclined to think the hat is not vinyl. The folds look too different than what you see with vinyl.

DB, I would recommend just making an entirely new double ruffle altogether. I have a white double ruffle with black trim that simply ties in the back. I will have to post pics later.

Wow that last one is creepy (and that's saying a lot in this thread)

The Oddities and ass-grabbing clowns have obviously dark green face lines. No matter how much I stare at the Pee Wee clown (incl in these Bluray captures), they always look black to me. Which pics are you seeing that in?

I made a pattern for the backing plate so I can cut on the bandsaw. I suppose I'll scan and upload in case any other maniacs in the future want to scratch build a clown.

Hoping to have a moving clown by the end of the weekend - fingers crossed!

On a side note, when I had first moved to LA in 1995, I used to go to that Woolworths. It was on the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica. I think it's a Starbucks or Coffee Bean now.

Cool, I would've liked to have seen it before the big remodel. I was there maybe 5 years ago .. going by memory, I think you could recognize the trim/windows from a couple places (e.g. Woolworth's and the radio station entrance), and the old theater was still there. The rest was all completely redone with fancy pants shops and restaurants.

Coulrophobics Beware!, well, here it is, the first mock-up of my clown, still lots to do, but I have all the big stuff bought so it shouldn't be too long now, a big Thank You to PeeWeeFan for the reproduction head, it is Killer!, 100 times nicer, cleaner, and stronger than the original, (which I'm reinforcing right now), if anyone is on the fence about buying one, don't hesitate, they're well worth it,

clown 002.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back