Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Clown

PWF - Did you happen to get a chance to check the mechanicals (regarding that main rod connection)? My welding buddy rescheduled to Sunday, so I won't be able to check until then.

PWF - Did you happen to get a chance to check the mechanicals (regarding that main rod connection)? My welding buddy rescheduled to Sunday, so I won't be able to check until then.

Best that I can tell, the main rod is one continuous piece. I have mine off currently. If the bar is rotated, the entire main rod and shorter rod rotate with it.

I did receive my plate parts today - they were laser cut. As soon as I receive my rods, I should be ready for welding.

plate_assy_cut.jpg

Cool! Did you already order a motor? What are you doing with Pennywise? I thought awhile back you were just going to use his mechanicals.

Got almost done tonight, just need a block of brass or aluminum for the sliding piece, and a couple collars to attach the arm. I set it all up in the vise for test fit and turned it on, so far so good.

BTW - The main rod and that arm are indeed all welded together and none of it moves. It's just an illusion when the back is moving (and a good one - I watched it tonight straight on and it still looked like it was moving).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442811231.090770.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1442811255.301470.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1442811265.622557.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1442811274.327073.jpg

Cool! Did you already order a motor? What are you doing with Pennywise? I thought awhile back you were just going to use his mechanicals.

Got almost done tonight, just need a block of brass or aluminum for the sliding piece, and a couple collars to attach the arm. I set it all up in the vise for test fit and turned it on, so far so good.

BTW - The main rod and that arm are indeed all welded together and none of it moves. It's just an illusion when the back is moving (and a good one - I watched it tonight straight on and it still looked like it was moving).

Looking great! It's always good to see progress on people's projects - almost as fulfilling as making progress on one's own projects!

I do have a new motor from Rex. I'm still exploring options with the Pennywise. He's not as rotund as he should be. His frame is not nearly as strong, so I have been brainstorming on how best to add a torso without adding a lot of weight.

I have not decided what to make the slider out of yet for my mechanism. I'm afraid aluminum would eventually corrode due to the dissimilar metals. Bronze is a little pricey. I have considered simply using steel.

Thanks, it is cool to finally see it moving. Once I get the sliding piece in for the horizontal movement, I'll see if I can post a short video clip.

I've ordered some collars for the arm attachment, and will probably just drill out a chunk of aluminum for the sliding piece. I'd like to mill it to the same shape as the original, but I guess I can do that later (read: I'm itching to move on to the next part of the clown).

I've ordered some collars for the arm attachment, and will probably just drill out a chunk of aluminum for the sliding piece. I'd like to mill it to the same shape as the original, but I guess I can do that later (read: I'm itching to move on to the next part of the clown).

What type of collars have you ordered? I was trying to think of a different way to attach the arm other than welding. I think it would be beneficial if that part of the mechanism could be taken apart as well.

Something like this, 1/4" inner diameter with set screw. Planning to put one next to the backing plate hinge so it doesn't move sideways (same place they welded a nut). Other at the end of that rod, and will have the arm attached to it (either welded to it, or maybe drilled out so it's in the center).

So far this thing is completely removeable, I do intend to keep it that way out of paranoia.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442943297.905287.jpg

DB, when you get your newest clown, do you plan to have some base tags made? I would imagine you could scan the tag, clean up the image and then send it to a tag maker for silkscreening on stainless steel. If you do, I would certainly be interested in 2 or 3. I could probably replicate the tag, but finding the exact font style might be kinda tough.

I hadn't thought of replicating that one (instead doing a custom one, similar to the custom X1 bike badges). But it shouldn't be too bad to scan and make some if you're interested in the original badge style.

Out of curiosity, did you look into getting metal molds made for your clown head? I was wondering the other day how hard it would be to find someone to do that (and then how much it would cost). The idea of having indestructible molds that I can vacuum form til eternity is appealing ..

I hadn't thought of replicating that one (instead doing a custom one, similar to the custom X1 bike badges). But it shouldn't be too bad to scan and make some if you're interested in the original badge style.

Out of curiosity, did you look into getting metal molds made for your clown head? I was wondering the other day how hard it would be to find someone to do that (and then how much it would cost). The idea of having indestructible molds that I can vacuum form til eternity is appealing ..

Since I am restoring the one clown, I would really like it to have the original badge style.

I did not look into getting metal molds made. I am guessing they would 3D scan the head and then use a CNC to cut the molds. For a part that size, high quality 3D scanning would probably be around $400. I would guess the aluminum molds would be around $1000 a piece. I did look into getting bucks made from concrete. That costs $700. Another option is to use an aluminum-resin composite. The concrete is probably the best, cheap option of the two.

I wonder if these newer style clowns even had the badges (I was guessing not). I can look into making some anyway for the heck of it.

I was originally planning to make a ultracal/hydrostone type of mold from the head/shoes. Not sure how many pulls that would survive, but seems to be the best material for home molding anyway. I am almost crazy enough to fork out the money for metal molds, but figured I could price it first. What do you search on to find places that do that?

Not many updates on my clown mechanicals. Got the collars in the mail today, will try them out tonight. Will probably buy the sliding piece material and drill it out this weekend. I'm in tool acquisition mode at the moment, which snowballs into larger scale workshop makeover fantasies. Needless to say, not much gets done when I'm in this mode ..

Drilled out the collars a hair, they go on and lock fine now to keep the arm rod from moving sideways (forgot to take a photo). The ones I got are 0.25" inner diameter, 0.5" outer diameter, 5/16" wide. I'm going to attempt to drill out a 3/16" hole in one and see how well that works to hold the bendable arm rods I got. Also picked up a huge block of aluminum for the sliding piece.

PWF - Do you happen to have dimensions of the sliding piece handy (since you made those 3D drawings)? I recall it's about 1.25" deep, 1" high, 1.5" wide. If you happen to have the measurements for the hole spacings, it would help. Otherwise I can just take apart my second clown to check (since I need to take him apart anyway for molding).

PWF - Do you happen to have dimensions of the sliding piece handy (since you made those 3D drawings)? I recall it's about 1.25" deep, 1" high, 1.5" wide. If you happen to have the measurements for the hole spacings, it would help. Otherwise I can just take apart my second clown to check (since I need to take him apart anyway for molding).

The slider is the most complicated part. I would recommend just looking at yours honestly. I do not have the individual drawings for each part yet done for the mechanism.

I think that I may have caught clown-fever from DB! I acquired another one today. He was only 12 miles from my sister's house! He is in excellent shape. The only real damage is his hands. The head is free of cracks and the vinyl suit has no rips or stains. He is missing a button though. The guy that I bought it off of got it a storage auction 10 years ago. He bought it for his wife's daycare, but it scared the kids so much he had to put it away in his shed. It was in the storage locker for 20 years prior to that.

DSCN0330.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

The base of the clown is different than any that has been mentioned. It has four threaded rods in the bottom box and the lid attaches to it via wing nuts.

Cool! The more clowns the better, I say.

My second clown has that same wingnut base too. I was guessing someone just rigged that up, but apparently not. Does yours have wheels? Mine doesn't, didn't see any mounts or holes for them either (although I haven't looked close yet).

I think that I may have caught clown-fever from DB! I acquired another one today.

Trying to keep score here: So … DB 3 and PWF 2? Plus you're both building replica movie versions? I see a 12 step program in your futures with Clown Hoarders Anonymous. Ha!

PWF: Congrats on the new acquisition. Looks like it's in beautiful shape. The outline on his face is definitely outlined in green.

-- BB

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back