Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Clown

Thanks for the pics! It helps make sense of what is left of my torso. I will likely try the plastic trash can and see what I can do with it. It's worth a shot.

Not much news here, I fell behind waiting for a new bandsaw blade to arrive. Anyway, got the backing plate and most of the bars cut. Next is drilling, bending, and welding all the connecting parts .. wheee

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441682129.211934.jpg

Shipped today, should be here hopefully Friday or Monday. Hopefully I can be done with these mechanicals by then, then it's on to vacuum forming.

On a side note, since we were talking about the Santa Monica Mall recently - here's a neat pic of the 'scene of the crime' in 1986 (same ice cream sundae poster even)

lat-promnade-la0021991003-20140924.jpg

And for a throwback, a similar shot in what appears to be the late 60s (going by the movies showing at the theater)

thumbnail3.jpg

Today I officially stumbled on the gold mine - the personal blog of the "Inventor of the Animated Mechanical Advertising Robot"
http://clarence-douglas-malcolm.blogspot.com/

I'm posting the photos here for posterity. The articles are fascinating, esp. the bits about the $2500 aluminum molds for the head and shoes, $20K of other equipment, his aunt making the suits, and the silk screening / air brushing of the face paint. Also you can tell the same head was used for the chef and Santa Claus robots. The old Custom Displays shop as in the photo below was at 12010 Garfield Ave in Hollydale CA (looks abandoned in Google maps).

robots first.jpg
robots - shop.jpg
ad robots 1.jpg
ad robots 2.jpg
168035_168587653184698_2927342_n.jpg

I saw that he is on Google+, so I sent a message to see if he wants to discuss these clowns. I'll let you know if I get any response from him - fingers crossed ..

PS - The clown's name is "Boom Boom" ;)

Today I officially stumbled on the gold mine - the personal blog of the "Inventor of the Animated Mechanical Advertising Robot"
http://clarence-douglas-malcolm.blogspot.com/

Gold mine is right, DB. Great find. This is awesome to see this much background information on "Boom Boom." Invite him to join the thread. He would probably be excited to see all the efforts and energy you guys are putting in to restoring / replicating his clown. Wonder if he's aware Boom Boom is in PWBA. Surely he is.

Again ... awesome. Congrats. -- BB

I dropped off my vinyl clown outfit at a local sewing shop. They are going to use it as a pattern to make me a new one. It was less expensive than anticipated. They are going to add Velcro to the ruffles to permit easy attachment. I never did care for the fabric being stapled. I also asked them to make some Pee-Wee style hats as well.

Cool! Regarding the articles - how would one silkscreen a 3D object? I've never heard of that, but I have always been amazed at the sharp lines on the clown faces .. so it makes some sense. I'm guessing the airbrushing they mention is for the chef and santa heads.

Some progress on the mechanicals tonight. I hope to have this done by Sat, and attached to the torso and moving on Sun. Hurrah!

Got the guide posts drilled first. I'm using 1/4" rod , 3/8" rod, and an oddball piano wire rod for the sliding piece (around 0.19"). Blasted everything and welded the guides on. Skipped the bushings for the arm rod .. I plan for this to have light use and stay well lubed.

Arm rod was cut to about 8.5"; smaller bendable rods will be welded to this so the arm can be positioned.

Torso rods were cut (14" and 20"), welded together, and tapped so a screw and washer can hold it in place (instead of being permanently welded together - a minor design change I'm making out of paranoia).

Lots to go still, but they are mostly smaller things that should knock out quickly.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441947211.295424.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1441947228.002429.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1441947235.322727.jpg

Nice work, DB! Looking good. I like the idea about tapping the long torso rod. I never liked that the mechanism could not be taken apart.

I have started drawing up the mechanicals and tracking down parts. Below is what I have so far for the model. A design change that I am considering is adding material on the left-hand side. My plate is actually cracked on the lower screw hole. As far as I can tell, it should not create any interference issues. It will add a little weight, but I'm willing to accept it for the added strength.

plate.JPG

Cool, I didn't realize you were making the mechanicals too. Didn't you buy a Pennywise clown to use for that?

I'm sure if one were up to speed on modern robotics/animatronics, making all this would be a piece of cake. What I'm doing is pretty nonsensical, but I guess if I had more sense I wouldn't be collecting clowns to begin with ;)

Looks good! I think when I get a chance I'm going to convert my base to the box style also. What kind of grass did you use?

I got it from my local Menards, they had three styles, light green, dark green, and dark green with a heavy black mat base that wasn't very flexible,
I went with the light green of course, 'cause it was thinner and a lot more flexible, and it was on sale for .30 cents a square foot!

I got it from my local Menards, they had three styles, light green, dark green, and dark green with a heavy black mat base that wasn't very flexible,
I went with the light green of course, 'cause it was thinner and a lot more flexible, and it was on sale for .30 cents a square foot!

I may have to visit a Menards! I am still undecided on what type of base to build though. I like the box style but just can't decide how useful it actually is with a clown sitting on top and all. Can you open the lid with the clown attached without it wanting to fall backward?

Cool, I didn't realize you were making the mechanicals too. Didn't you buy a Pennywise clown to use for that?

I'm sure if one were up to speed on modern robotics/animatronics, making all this would be a piece of cake. What I'm doing is pretty nonsensical, but I guess if I had more sense I wouldn't be collecting clowns to begin with ;)

I got started on the mechanicals mostly out of boredom. I have been waiting to get back on the bike build. The powdercoat shop has had my bike for almost 3 months! They are a small shop, so I originally told them no hurry. The price was too good not to go with them. They said it should be done later this week though.

I almost have all the parts for the mechanism drawn up. I'm hoping to share the drawing package so others can build their own.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back