Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Clown

The plastic is not as porous as I thought. I filled it with water to determine how much plaster I will need. Not a single leak! I was impressed. Looks like it will take around 12 lbs of plaster. Can't wait to make the buck.

clown_mold.JPG

Do you have a photo of the inside of the head? How heavy is it? And how much did it cost roughly to print?

It looks good, I was expecting more jagged lines from the printing layers.

Do you have a photo of the inside of the head? How heavy is it? And how much did it cost roughly to print?

It looks good, I was expecting more jagged lines from the printing layers.

It is a little tough to get a good pic of the inside. I tried my best though. It almost acts like a light box. The mold weighs 6.1 ounces. It cost around $140 to print from Shapeways. Most printers aren't even big enough to print something that size. I attached a better pic of the outside. If you zoom in you can see some of the print layers, but they are pretty fine.

WP_20160801_20_22_00_Pro.jpg WP_20160801_20_22_46_Pro.jpg

Poured some plaster tonight. It could have been a little thicker, but it should setup nonetheless. I used cold water to give myself some more working time. And yes, the mold is sitting in kitty litter (new I should add). I didn't have any sand lying around. We'll see how it comes out tomorrow morning!

plaster.jpg

The plaster buck finally dried enough to pop out of the mold! The surface is a little textured in spots (mostly due to the use of petroleum jelly), but I should be able to sand it without difficulty. It likely would not even matter. The vacuum form plastic should not pick up on it. Next time I will try using potter's plaster though. It's supposed to create a stronger casting and dry out a little better. I may try a different mold release, too. I now have the buck sitting in front of a fan to dry out some more. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. The best part is that my mold can be used over. The wsf material worked out great! Just as it's name implies, it is strong and flexible. I see vacuum formed clown heads in the near future!

plaster_buck.jpg

Last edited:
FOR-EV-ER!

keep us posted, I hope you're able to get good enough detail from the vacuum process, probably have some trial and error on what thickness plastic to use?

Last edited by a moderator:
FOR-EV-ER!

keep us posted, I hope you're able to get good enough detail from the vacuum process, probably have some trial and error on what thickness plastic to use?

lol... thanks for the video! That pretty much sums it up! It likely will take some trial and error. I'll probably try 0.02 and 1/16" to begin with.

Cool! Good to see that the print and buck turned out. Man we gotta get one of these made for the skinnier size neck/head. It would be a shame to go through so much work and still have that fat neck (maybe I'm biased since I have seen both, but the skinny neck looks much better in person).

Has anyone watched the opening to American Horror Story: Freakshow? There is a clown head that looks a lot like the Pee-Wee clown. It looks like they may have smoothed over the brow and added ears.

american-horror-story-freak-show-intro-video-ftr.jpg

Yeah, I had to hit rewind and pause when I first watched it, it does look very similar, especially the cheeks, mouth and nose, but the eyes and the top of the head and ears threw me off, I didn't think that much about, I guess they could've doctored it up.

Well, there you go PWF, you can start a new thread and sell AHS clown heads on the side!

Last edited:
I did some checking into ABC Warehouse. They are still in existence, but they were only a distributor for the mechanical advertising figures. The story was a bit misleading. They said the company that made them went out of business quite awhile back, which was probably Custom Displays.

Makes since, because it's obviously the same head, robot and block style base, everybody that has one that doesn't know what it is just assumes it's from the '50's

What's the eBay item number or title? For some reason I'm not seeing it yet with my (insanely complicated) search query.

Not much new on the clown front here. We had a baby last year, so still not quite able to get much free time for clown work. I've been searching for another of the 'original style' Custom Displays clown, but haven't seen anything yet. Closest is that crappy newer one in eBay Canada, and another even crappier newer one on local Craigslist.

Finally got around to buying the stuff needed to build my vacuum former. I ordered a 18" x 18" box drawer for $25 to save on time. I also found some metal pegboard for $10. I already have the screen trim and corners for the plastic holder. Some people use regular pegboard, notorious for bowing, and some drill holes in MDF. I thought the metal would make a good, strong platform. I also ordered some styrene sheets. Hopefully by Christmas I will have vacuum formed clown faces.

Wow!, how cool is that?, they had quite the extended family of automatons!, makes you wonder what happened to all that stuff, and why you don't see more of it, I wonder if the stationary clowns were built the same way and didn't have motors and mechanisms or if they just had a mannequin type body?,

That's odd how they advertised in a Harold Gale catalog, I would have never thought that, since they were the competition.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back