TFA *** First Order Snowtrooper

Good news, the helmets used mesh

yd8n4vy.png

WOW what a shot! Now, is that mesh over a lens or just mesh? Where would one find mesh that tight?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

WOW what a shot! Now, is that mesh over a lens or just mesh? Where would one find mesh that tight?

Honestly, I'm 100% positive it's just straight mesh. There's no reflection or shimmering. Plus, it just wouldn't make sense to use a lens when you're using mesh-it's redundant. Mesh removes the whole fogging problem. Disney did this for select character costumes for their disney parks.

The other thing is that the eye slot is so narrow that even on film, you wouldn't see anything but black anyway

Honestly, I'm 100% positive it's just straight mesh. There's no reflection or shimmering. Plus, it just wouldn't make sense to use a lens when you're using mesh-it's redundant. Mesh removes the whole fogging problem. Disney did this for select character costumes for their disney parks.

The other thing is that the eye slot is so narrow that even on film, you wouldn't see anything but black anyway
True, fair points. I'll do a search for this mesh. I'll also post pics of my boot soon :)

Alright here are some pics! This is one all-around coat of Flex Seal after 48 hours. After 24 the bottom was still slightly sticky, but now it's all good! Honestly, for a $12 can of paint, it came out pretty well, especially for one coat. When it first went on, it looked very thick and like it was going to coat over all of the detail. Clearly it preserved most detail! See for yourself! :D
uploadfromtaptalk1447892916556.jpguploadfromtaptalk1447892950321.jpguploadfromtaptalk1447892980004.jpguploadfromtaptalk1447893317064.jpguploadfromtaptalk1447892882728.jpg

Now, as you can see the only peeling is from the tips of the bottom grips, as they scratch against the ground. But as long as you don't pick at it it won't peel up the boot. I'm going to see how long a single coat lasts on these , then if they peel or wear out I'll peel it all off and do two coats. So far so good! :D

Ok, so that's 2 hours I'll never get back! After seeing these new photos that were released I just had to see how close I was with my 3d snow trooper helmet. I tried to duplicate the straight-on shot as best I could to get a comparison. I hate doing this because it makes me want to go back and tweak some more but I already started printing the top part or "dome" of the helmet so that part I will leave as is. I hate being so picky! :)

Photo on the left, my rendering on the right.
helmet side by.jpg

Ok, so that's 2 hours I'll never get back! After seeing these new photos that were released I just had to see how close I was with my 3d snow trooper helmet. I tried to duplicate the straight-on shot as best I could to get a comparison. I hate doing this because it makes me want to go back and tweak some more but I already started printing the top part or "dome" of the helmet so that part I will leave as is. I hate being so picky! :)

Photo on the left, my rendering on the right.
View attachment 556570

Looks really good! The biggest critiques I am noticing is that your aerators/tube connectors are missing some details and maybe the black line above the eye-slit could be a little thinner, but pretty spot on otherwise

Looks really good! The biggest critiques I am noticing is that your aerators/tube connectors are missing some details and maybe the black line above the eye-slit could be a little thinner, but pretty spot on otherwise

Yes, the little "mics" are not finished and are missing the little square pieces. The black line issue will just be a matter of how it's painted. Even the studio helmet has some less than perfect paint details. The flame trooper detail lines are a great example of that. :)

Yes, the little "mics" are not finished and are missing the little square pieces. The black line issue will just be a matter of how it's painted. Even the studio helmet has some less than perfect paint details. The flame trooper detail lines are a great example of that. :)

All good! Did you get my PM by chance?

Before I paint my second boot, any thoughts on my first based on those pics? If it doesn't look too great I'll try something else.

It looks good to me to be honest. I own a pair of the white and black versions too
Awesome thanks! I didn't want 2 bad boots xP haha so I guess total I've spend $92 on both boots, $80 on the boots and $12 on the paint. Better than buying a $250 pair of rare white Canucks haha

What happened to this thread?!? It was an awesome step by step and show off thread of Wasili's build which was way worth being subscribed to ...

Now, people are writing about what size of boots they bought and Wasili's gone silent!

Is he just more polite than me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What happened to this thread?!? It was an awesome step by step and show off thread of Wasili's build which was way worth being subscribed to ...

Now, people are writing about what size of boots they bought and Wasili's gone silent!

Is he just more polite than me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, this isn't just a build thread, it's a general TFA Snowtrooper thread, so really everything gets shared and discussed. I'm sure wasili and the other guys building stuff will start separate threads on their own :)

Not much sharing though.

- - - Updated - - -

Try this fabric. Left is interface that was used, the right is 100% polyester. You cant really tell the difference in texture

20151211_184319.jpg

Not much sharing though.

- - - Updated - - -

Try this fabric. Left is interface that was used, the right is 100% polyester. You cant really tell the difference in texture

View attachment 564925

What am I looking at here? It looks like the same top layer, just something more opaque under on the right side. Is it just interfacing on top of 2 materials? It doesn't look like 2 different materials, whatever is on top seems to be all one fabric. Please explain. :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back