My A7L apollo space suit

Excellent job with your space suit! Making a high fidelity suit is not easy and you did a fantastic job without the benefit of molds or sample pieces. Very impressive. We make the consumer grade suit that you purchased for people and groups that do not need a highly accurate and detailed suit and price it affordably. Glad that you could use some of the pieces from it for your high fidelity suit.
Cole

Thanks Cole, I've been trying for ages to contact you for some extra fabric/fingertips to end the gloves... Could you help?

I can only assume that the velcro and snaps surrounding the gas connectors and such would be for a protective cover while the suit was stowed. Haven't seen any archive photos of such a cover, anyone have pictures?

As for the Velcro & Snaps; Yes it is for a cover, although many posting at Collect space seem confused, those snaps and Velcro were intended to facilitate the attachment of a cove to protect the O2 connections. Lunar regolith (dirt) is very sharp and can cause all sorts of problems. The moon has no atmosphere, so the "dust and "dirt" has never been tumbles by wind or rain, so it's very sharp, smashed volcanic rock. Think glass; on earth, beach glass has been polished by tumbling in the surf & sand so it has no edges, freshly broken glass is very sharp. So you have Earths dirt or sand - tumbled, Moon's regolth- not tumbled, so very sharp. It was determined the covers were not needed, but the Velcro and snaps (with their Teflon washers) remained.
Here is a photo of this cover as seen from the outside. The extra fabric to the right is to wrap around the hoses going to the PLSS.
A7L-connector-cover.jpg

Having seen the real thing, this build is just superb.
Agreed. I've seen the majority of existing A7 suits (and handled a couple of training ones). This replica is really good. Here's a shot of "Smiling Al's" Apollo 14 suit he walked on the moon in:
IMG_4996800x533_zpse7da5cea.jpg

Then time to ask help from my mother for the sewing. Lot of pictures and documentations were needed to get the most accurate suit:

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/44119420140607012.jpg

And here is the final result, minus the patches:
http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/811351P20150615191748.jpg
http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/995343P20150615191812.jpg

Did you just kinda make it by eye or did you create patterns? The one thing holding me back at this point is I fear I'll get stuck half way through. Is there a guide somewhere on how to make patterns from pictures?

I can sew pieces together just fine, I just need to know what to cut out!

Your build is amazing, also.

Hello, I did mostly by eye, but also usedDarkJedi1500 pics...He had access to a real A7L and took some measurements on some parts (pockets, etc...). Very helpful.

Put the complete suit on a rudimentary PVC pipes mannequin yesterday to shoot pictures (hence the "rigid" look):

img_6715.jpg

img_6714.jpg

img_6711.jpg

img_6713.jpg

Still got to work on helmet and gloves (the fingertips and a few details are still temporary)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back