1:1 Landspeeder Project - Completed!

Sure...

http://www.fwmsh.org/starwars/index.html

This is the same exhibit that was in Boston, Columbus, and is now in Los Angeles...From what I've been told the only difference will be that Fort Worth will not be getting the full size Millenium Falcon Cockpit due to space constraints.

But the real speeder will be there...So it will be interesting to see just how close we got to it.

Jason

Group trip, Jason? :)

ATM
ShackMan

Absolutely Shack...It's nice that something cool is finally coming to our town :)

Thanks for the fiberglass/resin Derwent info Chris...I'll have to check out ebay today...

Oh...and Goldenrod...email sent ;)

Jason

I was wondering how long it would take you to chime in...hehehe... :)

I'm still trying to decide on the overall paint and weathering scheme, as it changed throughout ANH...The colors should not be that difficult to match once I make that decision.

At first I thought the difference was simply between the wheeled speeder and the boom-arm speeder...But after more research I'm finding that even the 3 wheeled speeder changed it's color scheme in the film.

For example...

Look at this pic:

speeder3.jpg

Notice the color of the engine and rear wing...This is the wheeled speeder in Tunisia...

Engines and wing are the same color as the rest of the speeder...

This appears to be pretty consistant with other shots from the Tunisia shoot...

Now take a look at this pic:

speeder4.jpg

This is still the wheeled speeder, but you will notice that the top of the engine pods and the rear wing are now that dark grey color...(which is how they still appear to this day)

The front of the engines have now been painted red as well, where they were more greyish looking in other shots.

If memory serves me correctly these long shots of the speeder were shot as pickups in California after principal photography had wrapped...So somewhere along the way, someone decided that the speeder needed to be repainted...(at least partially)

There is also a significant change in the amount of weathering from shot to shot...So I'm trying to decide exactly what look that I want to go for :love

I originally thought I would just take all the nice hi-res pics of the speeder from the travelling exhibit and try to replicate it...But the reality is that the current paint/weathering is MUCH different than how it was seen on screen for the majority of the movie.

Anyone care to venture an opinion?

Jason

Jason, the paint schemes probably changed due to the Biggs scenes. The Speeder was redressed with extra engines and most likely other painting details.

If they did the Tunisia filming first and then the studio shots in england - the speeder was repainted them. By the time they did the california pickups they simply left the paint as it was.

What you've done so far looks amazing BTW. I know we talked about this a long time ago when I planned to buy a Robin Reliant to do my own. I bought a Delorean instead and we all know what happened from there :)

-Gary

I am amazed and truly speechless!!! I really do not know what to say. That is truly a magnificent thing you are building!

I will be staying glued to this thread from now until completion!

WOW!

Re: New Landspeeder Project...

Hey Gary...I had totally forgot about those Biggs scenes...I bet you are right on about the speeder repaint taking place at that time.

And it would make sense because the only portions that were repainted (engines, middle wing, etc.) were the parts that were going to be seen in the shot...Good catch on that.

Amish...I appreciate the kind words...Hopefully the finished product will be worth the wait...hehehe...

TK409...Those are some cool pics...It's interesting to note that the other engine was still covered (and painted) when that pic was taken...And looking at that hole behind the seats finally lets me know where 3P0's legs went when he was riding back there ;)

DB...The idea is to mount this body to a 3-wheeled electric golf cart frame/chassis...It should fit with minimal (if any) real modifications...There's a chance that I may have to lengthen the frame a tad, but I'm really hoping that won't be needed.

Another idea that I did have was to mount some weatherproof boat speakers in the engine pods so that I could blast some John Williams while riding around...Maybe even put a bazooka bass tube in one of them :D

Jason

Any Plans to take her for a spin on I-40? :lol. No? but seriously that is trully amazing, I'll bet you'll be the envy at any event you go to. I'm even willing to bet that at some point there'll even be a fistfight over who can be the first to ride in this Beauty (other then yourself of course). :love C

That's one spectacular ride Jason! well done mate :thumbsup

Any thoughts on how you're going to make the windscreen? oh, and please post video when you've got her up and running!

Jeremy

Uuuhhh...

Cigarettes...

Paint fumes...

does that really mix well ? or did it add to the weathering the Landspeeder got ?

:eek;)

Michael

That's a great project, please keep us approsed of the progress!
I love the idea of having one of these with a golf cart/electric motor.
Very, very cool!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back