The (Uber) Death Star Laser Tower Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!!!

Re: The (Uber) Death Star Laser Tower Project

Brilliant , thanks for the updates, learned a lot on the weathering, if you can post a shot of it in situ ,

Well, I'm gonna call this one done (at least for now). I'm pretty happy with how it came out and with the paint job overall. There are a few areas of weathering I'd like to work a little more but I t think it's time to let this one "age" for a bit. Also it'll look different under the lighting where I intend to display it than in my shop, so it'll be good to take a look at it there. Here are a few pics of the "finished" Tower. It's really difficult to get good photos of something so tall in my shop. I'll take some shots under studio lighting when I get the chance, Thanks for everyone's support and comments along the way!

Last edited:

Superb!!
This build pushed me to get mine (shorty version) done :-D

Awesome finish! Oh, look - Aurora M8 dozer blades. I wonder what happened to THAT parts bin? ;^P

Again, great job (& appreciate the share...)
Regards, Robert

Oh, look - Aurora M8 dozer blades. I wonder what happened to THAT parts bin? ;^P

I actually found a nice 3D model of the dozer blade on GrabCad, downloaded and 3D printed it.

I wonder if the LT looks like it could have been remotely controlled or whether it was supposed to contain a gunner (or crew...) Using the ladder rung spacing as a scale measure would be possible except Imperial OSHA standards are unknown. However, if we assume 'form follows function' & the Death Star generated a surface gravity so an EVA would NOT be like a real 'spacewalk' requiring tethers, etc. then real-world standards of typically no more than 12" spacing could be used. So, if we choose, say, 10" spacing, then the panel height runs roughly 100" or 8.33 feet. If we go for 12", then 120" or 10 feet. Technically, the 'hatches' above the platforms seem a bit small at only 2.5 x rung spacing (so, 25" or 30" high...) Perhaps they are used by astromechs only...

Sorry, such nice models leads me naturally to the 'What If Zone' ;^P///

R/ Robert

Every year a group of us at work get together for a Christmas ornament exchange. There are ten of us, and each person makes ten copies of a custom ornament to exchange with everyone else. As you would think, with ten Disney Imagineers, the ornaments get to be pretty extraordinary! Here are the ornaments I made for this years exchange, mini versions of the Laser Tower, 1/10 Studio Scale, about 3 1/2 inches tall.

DaveG - Star Wars and Christmas...perfect...

M

Last edited by a moderator:

Gotta say, I love this build for so many reasons. Thanks for sharing all this great info! Really helps us novices out.

Thanks guys! Our ornament exchange is something to look forward to every year.

Here's a quick breakdown of how the ornaments were done. The same 3D model from the full size project was scaled down and used to create laser cutting artwork for the sides, which were cut and scored out of 4 ply Strathmore Bristol board, and a 3D printed core, around which the sides were bonded. Additional bits of styrene were added as surface details. Then a one piece silicone mold was poured.

The castings. Pressure cast to eliminate bubbles.

A unique challenge with this little project was how to drill the mounting holes for the laser canons. The 1/16 inch holes had to be drilled at a specific angle, centered on the curved detail and aligned to the slots. And if there was any variation the two barrels would be obviously misaligned. The solution was to use the 3D model file to create a 3D printed drilling jig that would hold the casting at the exact right angle and also provide a guide for the drill bit. I added a short pieces of brass tubing to the guide holes as drill bushings. The holes were drilled using a drill press to help keep everything in alignment.

Before and after drilling.

The barrels were made up out of lengths of brass tubing and a bits of Plastruct square stock.

Ready for paint!

That's ridiculous in all the right ways. That jig is AWESOME.

I just laser cut one last night to align a bunch of Plastruct tubing and keep things 90º - it's the little bits we create during the creation of a larger whole that sometimes give the most satisfaction!

The ornament tangent just makes me smile a silly grin! ['"That is some mystical ******"' - Nick Nolte, The Ridiculous 6]

Regards (and Merry Christmas), Robert

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back