The (Uber) Death Star Laser Tower Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!!!

Re: The (Uber) Death Star Laser Tower Project

I decided to make the ladder rungs in a bent bar style like you might find on a warship. However they would all have to be of an exact width to fit in the CNC drilled holes. To achieve that I made a wire bending jig.

The working parts of the jig were milled out of plexiglas using the CNC router.

The plex parts were held in alignment on a steel jig plate using dowel pins. The larger piece can slide on the pins, the smaller piece is held firm. A Bar clamp was used to squeeze the two together with a piece of 1/16 brass wire in between.

The brass wire was annealed with a torch to make it easier to blend.

As the clamp is tightened the brass is bent tightly around the fixed plex plate by the plex die with the cut out.

The finished rungs, and installed.

- - - Updated - - -

Small things... the business end of the cast barrels. The little rings were milled out of plexiglas on the CNC router.

The answer may be obvious to veteran RPFers, but after seeing this caliber of work, I find myself wondering if you achieved your post-graduate goal of building models for movies?
If not, the studios missed out on some incredible talent. Thanks for posting your beautiful work and solutions to problems. Truly inspiring!!!

The answer may be obvious to veteran RPFers, but after seeing this caliber of work, I find myself wondering if you achieved your post-graduate goal of building models for movies?
If not, the studios missed out on some incredible talent. Thanks for posting your beautiful work and solutions to problems. Truly inspiring!!!

Yes! I've been a professional model and prop builder in the movie industry for more than 30 years now. Actually these days I'm designing and building animatronic figures at Disney Imagineering.

Awesome work. Great attention to detail. It's amazing what you can do when you have next gen. tools.

Great update Dave! Thanks for the tuto on those rungs, very simple trick and the result rocks!

Not my favorite SW model but interesting. However, I'm absolutely impressed in your crafting skills. Sometimes figuring and making the perfect jig is almost as fun (and as much work) as making the actual model element. Such a pleasure to see the right tools used the right way and your SBS presentation. Really appreciate you sharing all of this "new-age" use of CNC and printing of parts.

Been nibbling away at the nernies. Here are some detail parts that I modeled in the computer, 3D printed, molded and cast.

Getting all the detail bits installed. Most of the white details were built up out of styrene strip and rod. When I started this project I was planning on tracking down more of the original kits parts, or at least castings of them but I'm actually having more fun scratch building them!

Just WOW Dave...another home run for sure. All of those pieces are so crisp, it's not funny:eek:cool All I can do now, is to imagine it firing its dual canon!

Gorgeous work! That super premium MDF sounds great to work with! I'll have to hunt some down.

Thanks guys! Yes the super premium is great stuff, and quite a bargain, at least compared with most plastics and rigid foams. I've used it on a lot of projects.

Can anyone I.D. this part for me? It's used 4 times around each barrel. Thanks!

Thanks!

This is another part I need to ID. There are a few of them on the guns and turret. I know the same part was used on the TIE. Or better yet, does anyone have one they would be willing to sell, share, trade or loan?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back