My Early Disasters pt 2 - A Biker Scout Helmet - How hard can it be?

My very first attempt at pepakura was a Republic Commando helmet. I thought I would just see what all the fuss is about with pepakura and see how difficult it was to use. I never intended to finish the project so I used printer paper instead of card stock. But, my obsessive compulsive brain kicked in and I had to finish it. I did everything, and I mean everything, wrong with the build.

Man, I SO want a Republic Commando helmet! That was going to be the next project...oh, three projects ago? I'm a huge fan of the Karen Traviss books, and played the game to death. Can I persuade you to post a pic of yours? There are some awesome ones on the rpf that really, really intimidate me....

I have always really liked the Republic Commando series. The game was really fun and I enjoyed Karen Traviss' books. I really liked her take on the clones and Order 66. I'm little bummed that's been changed, but I can always re-read the books.

I completely understand being intimidated by some of the helmets on the RPF. I see photos from the 501st and I literally turn green with envy. Well, here's my take:

Rep_Commando.jpg Rep_Commando1.jpg Rep_Commando2.jpg

I had to use foil for the eyepiece because I don't think plastic actually bends in that many directions. I would love to say that weird color splotches are my attempt at distressing and adding battle damage .... so yeah, let's just go with that. And, yes, that is a Motorola blue tooth earpiece hot-glued to the side because .... why not? It sounded like a good idea at the time.

I would love to do this again. I haven't tried pepakura in a long time and I don't think I can freehand this design though. I also have a couple other projects floating around my head that I would love to try first. One day, though. One day.

I love it! Thanks for sharing the photos. I drove off on one of today's missions, thinking about pepakuring this helmet and was sidetracked by the thought of adapting the original Deathtrooper method (The video on youtube...). It's a crazy idea because I didn't do it properly for the Deathtrooper, so why I would get it right for something different... But now the idea has taken hold. Lucky for me, I'm busy with real world concerns until March.

I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. Like I said, I have a love/hate relationship with it. Mostly love, but every once in while .... I watched the Deathtrooper video and it didn't help. I don't think my brain works that way. I think that's why I work with cardboard. It's simply more forgiving and cheap. I can make a helmet for basically the cost of paint.

Trying really hard to keep to my pledge of not building any new helmets until at least April. Should be tidying the workshop and getting it all sorted. But instead I'm reviewing pep plans for Republic commando helmets, and trying to figure out how to print the pages to the right size this time. Also bought a new camping mat, and am thinking how I might combine the helmet build from the videos of the Deathtrooper and Shoretrooper builds (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-7gDYJnpa0&list=PLB1d3opKaF6X8NL3XXGnJXtYW6fHvHIL9&index=17) with a pep build.

Right now the answer is "I can't." But, on the other hand, we're visiting Disneyland soon, and there's this "Season of the Force" they're advertising. I have hopes of getting a close-up look at some decent replica helmets. If you read in the news about a disturbance at Disneyland California, that's probably me trying to take some measurements from an unwilling trooper....

Thanks Shwarzwald! There is going to be a hiatus before the next build - the final bathroom reno, the book launch, and a trip to Disneyland all come first. But I've nearly started three times already this last week, so I may end up jumping the gun anyway.

So, we did Disney. There was plenty of Star Wars stuff on display : I got neat reference pics for all kinds of helmets. Just, you know, not the one I'm planning to build next. Next on the list is the Republic Commando Helmet that I've been wanting to build for about three years. I say list, but in fact, I don't have a list. That's way too organised. Every now and then I see one of Karen Traviss' books lying around and think "Man, I wish I had an RC bucket!"

Since the last build was a low point, even by the terrible standards of my history, I'm determined to learn the lessons of the past. I'm going to go slow and carefully. I'm not going to wing it at any point. There will be measuring. There will be pauses for thought, and no mixing building with drinking.

To that end, I'm trying a completely new approach for this build. I'm starting with pep to get a 3d model. It'll be too small, because I can't for the life of me sort out the printer issues that keep these things from printing at the right size. But that's ok. I'll build a small helmet, take careful measurements and scale up from there. Exactly HOW I'll build the scaled-up version is a little unclear right now. I'm thinking foam and paper mache will feature quite heavily. Lucky for everyone, a busy library schedule and some actual paid writing work will mean the pepping will be a slow project on its own. You'll also notice that launching the second book detailing my failure to build decent helmets has not made me a multi-millionaire. Shocker.

So here's step one, folks:
2017-03-28.png
24 pages printed off onto thick card stock (US letter size). Now it's lunch time, and then I have to make a doctor's appointment, pick up the Tiny Weasel from school for an Ortho appointment, then take Middle Weasel to get new shoes. Oh, and I haven't done the taxes yet. May start actually putting this thing together somewhere in the second week of April....
Oh, the Disney photos?
WP_20170320_027.jpgWP_20170320_026.jpgWP_20170320_025.jpgWP_20170320_024.jpgWP_20170320_023.jpgWP_20170320_020.jpgWP_20170320_019.jpg

Which Disney? Were those X-wing helmets in stock? I'm headed to Florida in April and if they have one in the store when I am there I'm buying!

This was Disneyland California, and the helmets were on display in the Launch Pad area, but not for sale. I certainly do not endorse a midnight visit, dressed entirely in black and wearing night vision goggles. That would be wrong.

Today was one of those weird days where the morning was crowded, but the afternoon suddenly turned into some free time for me. I got a piece of paid work done, and awarded myself half an hour to put the first few pieces of pep together. Really, that's all it was. Half an hour.
WP_20170402_002.jpg
Cutting carefully, using just enough glue, I got five piece put together. Big whoop. Doesn't look like anything at all. Still half an hour isn't very long. Maybe I'll do a bit more.
WP_20170402_003.jpg
Oh hell, I'm going to keep going, aren't I?
WP_20170402_004.jpgWP_20170402_005.jpgWP_20170402_006.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back