Jurassic World (Post-release)

I saw this Yesterday and was happy with it. I went in expecting to see an action flick with a lot of over the top dino chaos and that's exactly what I got. I agree the kids were kind of pointless and the plot line of their parents getting divorced seemed smashed in for no real purpose. They should of left them out as a whole and just focused on the park staff and Owen.

In a fan boy sort of way I kind of would like to see a movie where the raptors are used by the military. Totally unbelievable, but would be a decent popcorn flick if done right.

All in all though, I liked this movie and didnt feel ripped off paying to see it in the theater.

Shake that money maker Pratt!

JurassicWorldMoneyPile_zpszbsxdfp3.gif

Well, it was sort of a big meh for me. Reviews were decent so I expected better.
Lots of silly stuff going on, too much to list, and those kids were just awful, I mean if they got eaten I would have cheered.
Spielberg knew how to handle kid characters in the first film. Starlord was the best thing going on in this one.
Where do I get a jeep that will start up and run just fine after rotting for decades in a jungle? LOL

Well, it was sort of a big meh for me. Reviews were decent so I expected better.
Lots of silly stuff going on, too much to list, and those kids were just awful, I mean if they got eaten I would have cheered.
Spielberg knew how to handle kid characters in the first film. Starlord was the best thing going on in this one.
Where do I get a jeep that will start up and run just fine after rotting for decades in a jungle? LOL

My dad had a landrover that started after 19 years(after changing the battery) ;)

Speaking of the Jeep...c'mon guys, re-release the 92 Sahara in sand beige! I would love a JP Jeep. Of course the new movie uses a friggin Mercedes. As if I'm ever going to be able to afford THAT.

My dad had a landrover that started after 19 years(after changing the battery) ;)

Amazing.Storage conditions too of course are factors, and the new battery .
I don't think there is a car battery with a twenty two year shelf life. Tires would lose air.
Gas goes bad too. Granted this was a small thing for this film to gripe about.

I saw it Friday with my wife and we both enjoyed it, a very enjoyable movie. However, I do not recommend seeing it in 3D, a total waste money in my opinion. Normally, my wife and I prefer to avoid 3D screenings but we went to the 3D because it was the next available showing, all other earlier showings had been sold out and even if they weren't we probably wouldn't have been able to get a decent seat anyway. Anyhow, back to the 3D, outside of some particle effects there was very little that stood out in 3D, nothing really seemed to come out of the screen anymore, nor did anything have any more depth to it. About the only thing that I think it really did was to make the helo with the CEO coming into the park look really fake, not CG fake but old Godzilla movie model fake, that helo looked like an RC toy that they filmed against a scale model set.

My only other real gripe about the movie was the intelligence of the I-Rex, once again movie makers making animals way too smart or more succinctly, confusing intelligence with knowledge. Just because you're super intelligent doesn't mean that you automatically know everything, you'd be able to learn things more quickly/easier and comprehend things that are unfamiliar to you but you wouldn't know about anything you never learned. One of the things was the tracking device, how did the I-Rex know what it was and that it should get rid of it when it escaped? It's never been outside of its enclosure so it's never seen the ACU team in action, never seen another dino escape and get tracked so how did it know what the tracker was? The biggest one was its thermal abilities, how did it know they were able to track it thermally? Unless it noticed that they were always to find it, for whatever reason, no matter where it hid in its enclosure there's no way that it could have known that adjusting its body temp would make it effectively invisible.

Aside from that, I really liked the movie. I thought it was better than both 2 & 3 and almost as good as 1. I just wished that during the ambulance scene they had one of the kids quote Jeff Goldblum from 1 and say, "Must go faster!".

It really bugged me that those close up shots of the raptors heads in the cages had to be CG. I mean come on, they were stationary heads that could have been much more convincing as animatronics but instead they were sub-par CG.

I'm pretty sure they were animatronic. I remember seeing a behind the scenes photo of one of the heads in a muzzle. Plus the snarling teeth looked very practical to me.

I don't think people realize how far cgi has come and still feel things are fake. I would even say the animatronic long neck looked bad compared to the cgi!

If those raptor heads were animantronic they looked great.

Those other dinosaurs were great actors as well...

I'm pretty sure they were animatronic. I remember seeing a behind the scenes photo of one of the heads in a muzzle. Plus the snarling teeth looked very practical to me.

The raptors were apparently maquettes - just statues. The snarl, the nostril flares, the eye blinks, those things were all CG. The practical dino bits in this just looked rubbery and lifeless. The dying Apatosaur and those raptor heads didn't reflect light or perform the way the Dilophosaurus, T-Rex, Triceratops, and raptors did in JP1. What a perfect storm that film was!

I went in expecting a bad movie, but I was very happily surprised. Pure, fun entertainment. You could feel the original's presence, so to speak. Also, keep a sharp eye on the book that is sitting on the control room counter. Awesome little easter egg. ;)
I wonder how many times they did that. I first noticed the book when the kids were on the monorail and their keeper was reading it. I saw the authors picture on the back of the book through or between the headrests.

Almost forgot the Jimmy Buffet cameo where he scoots by with two margaritas. Hilarious! Couldn't find a pic of the scene, but did find a gif.
http://33.media.tumblr.com/6669d0677403a65d6a23ea9d601575de/tumblr_npw5u1WPYL1qggdn7o1_540.gif

I think someone said soda was $7, so I can only imagine the cost of two margaritas. I guess I would make sure I save them as well.
So that's what was going on. I just saw some guy grabbing his drink and I thought, "you're being attacked and you save your drink?"

I didn't catch it for this film, but was Blue a boy or girl Raptor? All I could think of was the reference of the name popping in my head from "Old School" hahah!

You're my boy, Blue!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I kept thinking the same thing the whole time. They're already making t-shirts for this :lol
blue-raptor-jurassic-world-510x600.jpg

That's because Dean Cundey was the DP on "Park" and Dean KNOWS how to light

The practical dino bits in this just looked rubbery and lifeless. The dying Apatosaur and those raptor heads didn't reflect light or perform the way the Dilophosaurus, T-Rex, Triceratops, and raptors did in JP1. What a perfect storm that film was!

The only animatronic used in the film was the dying apatosaur. Which didn't even look that great IMO. Shame.

Hugely enjoyable!!!!
Yes,I could pick holes in this until the brontosaurus's come home, but the best way to judge that a film is actually working for you is that ultimately, as you watch it, you don't really want to. And for the most part I didn't.
It delivered exactly what I needed from a good dinosaur movie which is, quite unsurprisingly, lots of terrifically brutal monster moments. Damn those diddy dinosaur rides, I wanted tons of epic prehistoric carnage and I was delighted to actually get it. Particularly outstanding set pieces were the raptor hunt which absolutely zinged along , the pterosaur assault and the final monster ruck challenge at the very end.Some very exciting moments there, as long as you critically didn't engage your frontal lobes too much and considered just how utterly daft it all was.

I did think the Indominus was very like the T-rexs on Skull Island in PJs "King Kong", and I would point out the lead time before the action started in that film was almost 3/4 hour and that JP took its own fair while before we got anything reasonably thrilling as well). Given the source and type of the film I thought the writers managed to get in a lot of affectionate nods to the original and alot of other genre films, like Jaws, Aliens, Predator (I thought for a moment the kids were going to roll in the mud to hid from the I-rex after the waterfall jump) and they left a healthy amount of backstory open with Ingen for the sequel.Despite all the versions of the screenplays produced for it I felt the most obvious fingerprints on the script were that of writers Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver, who pulled off such a brilliant reboot with "Rise" and "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes". I did laugh at the amounts of product placement though, but then then Jurassic World WOULD have looked liked that had it existed!!! I just count myself lucky they didn't tatoo any company brands onto the dinosaurs!!!!
I wasn't expecting anything too much from my characters in this kind of mega B movie and they were fine for what they delivered (but please get rid of any kids for the next one). Full marks to Chris Pratts Grady "O'Jones", I did smile when I heard the Raiders OTLA jungle bird calls foreshadowing him by his riverside shack. But I did miss Laura Dern rather more than I liked Bryce Dallas Howard, but then thats just me.
And having watched Jurassic Park yesterday I have to say I actually enjoyed Jurassic World almost as much as the original for the most part. This was almost a perfect text book example of what a summer blockbuster should be and it was none the less effective for that. With Fathersday coming up this weekend I imagine it will continue to take shed loads of money, apparently they were turning them away from showings they were fully booked.

The only animatronic used in the film was the dying apatosaur. Which didn't even look that great IMO. Shame.

He may have even had CG-enhanced eyes, and I think 90% of the creature, the body and a lot of the neck, were CG. The raptor heads really looked like rubber lumps. Even constrained, they would have benefitted from some degree of wiggle, motion - the appearance of trying to turn or tilt their heads, pushing even gently against the restraints. So perfectly still, and such an easy thing to enhance practically!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back