. Cheers all...1&2 best...

I've just received my issues 19-22 at last so plenty to do, anyway hope this helps :) l'll try & explain as best l can...

1. Rub n Buff, put a small squeeze of it on a paper towel.. This stuffs potent & goes far... Dab your cloth (mines a black lens cloth from specsavers) in it then rub excess off on the paper towel (bit like drybrushing) Rub like mad the flooring I left it an hour or two.. This is only if you want a metallic like effect..,

2. The black oils into the crevices with brush..and used another lens cloth to rub it in...left that for at leased 5 hours..

If you've used to much of either...put a tad of white spirit on your cloth and rub, it will take mistakes away.. Trial & error till you get your own happy medium.. You can add more pewter buff if you've added to much black visa versa ...

This technic is only suited to the plastics that are pre-coloured in models...as you can imagine a primed & painted model would have their colours worn off with vigorous rubbing & a big no no on matt prayed surfaces. :)

d01ef736d87875f3281f51eb64e1552f_zpsg4euehby.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning work and loving all the extra scratch work detail!, I was not going to bother with the interior on mine but certainly will now!! (when I finally get around to starting it and if I ever get a model finished lol), really enjoying the tread though, so please keep it coming as I'm learning so much and getting really inspired to make the most of mine.

Andy

Thanks Andy, lm working on 19-22 at the the moment...bit by bit. So far no problems. As the pieces & parts grow I'm wrapping them up in bin liners & storing away till needed...this is gonna be a big jigsaw ;-).

Last edited:
Looking great! I am really dreading all those hallway ring pads : | yours turned out great I think I will follow your paint process when I start on them.

. Cheers all...1&2 best...

I've just received my issues 19-22 at last so plenty to do, anyway hope this helps :) l'll try & explain as best l can...

1. Rub n Buff, put a small squeeze of it on a paper towel.. This stuffs potent & goes far... Dab your cloth (mines a black lens cloth from specsavers) in it then rub excess off on the paper towel (bit like drybrushing) Rub like mad the flooring I left it an hour or two.. This is only if you want a metallic like effect..,

2. The black oils into the crevices with brush..and used another lens cloth to rub it in...left that for at leased 5 hours..

If you've used to much of either...put a tad of white spirit on your cloth and rub, it will take mistakes away.. Trial & error till you get your own happy medium.. You can add more pewter buff if you've added to much black visa versa ...

This technic is only suited to the plastics that are pre-coloured in models...as you can imagine a primed & painted model would have their colours worn off with vigorous rubbing & a big no no on matt prayed surfaces. :)

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/...ef736d87875f3281f51eb64e1552f_zpsg4euehby.jpg

Thanks so much for the explanation. Just a few clarifications. Sorry to keep bugging you:

I don't understand this "Rub like mad the flooring I left it an hour or two." Did you apply it all over and then leave it for an hour or two before you came back to rub and buff???

"The black oils into the crevices with brush..and used another lens cloth to rub it in...left that for at leased 5 hours." So put the oil on with a brush, wipe excess away until happy. Then leave for 5 hours. Then what??? Do you mean that's how long it needs to dry??

"This technic is only suited to the plastics that are pre-coloured in models...as you can imagine a primed & painted model would have their colours worn off with vigorous rubbing & a big no no on matt prayed surfaces." Do you mean for the Rub n buff or both that and the oil paint??? I ask because I want to use the oil paint on painted sections as well???

I promise these are my last questions until the next ones.

Hi,

After brushing into crevices I just rub in the black till I get the required effect and fade you see in my work.
leave the black oils to (once rubbed) dry for at leased 5 hours before the pewter rub n buff...just where you want it...with the floor it's a tiny bit per square floor tile for instance.. Rub it in well.

Best to experiment and try testers on something similar..

This falcon models fine to use this technic on & the ready painted parts too.

Hi,

After brushing into crevices I just rub in the black till I get the required effect and fade you see in my work.
leave the black oils to (once rubbed) dry for at leased 5 hours before the pewter rub n buff...just where you want it...with the floor it's a tiny bit per square floor tile for instance.. Rub it in well.

Best to experiment and try testers on something similar..

This falcon models fine to use this technic on & the ready painted parts too.

Excellent.

Thanks

Tom

Just finished the bottom back recess...wanted to create it close to the studio oiled weathered look so used references like this flash photograph. ...
b2fc2a39bd067cd34ec99170e410a154_zpsaluesgoy.jpg

Below my fin recess.. I was tempted to add more rust but thought not so kept it subtle.

205a20490833834dfbc93e9a9f0aaa1f_zpsjgtct0n1.jpg

7546b845c03ea98e1e4450d4dd9bc988_zpsqmbzlwau.jpg

552b195a38c4e37e9a32c8adc7f427c0_zpsuhgt3sbg.jpg

986448dd5d1e72e1b7d7aafd6c015e5e_zps5faejgk4.jpg

5ae24652fbfa32b343268a3212792875_zpsnngi0rza.jpg

Well Degostini are to decide on a extra gift come the end of the build, suggestions are generally for a display case which I'd love. even if thats not the choice they go for... lm going to buy or make one like others l have with models l make and display. Ive 2 or so weeks till next delivery (if on time!!) So Im working on my fuel fill spaceport pump till then... just deciding on a sandy/dusty weather & base etc...

Last edited:
Decided to alter the gun window to the correct angle today...10mins max job. I just followed Steve Dymszo's video instructions PART 1, (just skip by the Tamiya spray product endorsements). ;-)
234da4d98f53c490c07e2909f1a8f91d_zpsnbs1z0kk.jpg

Last edited:

On this, first wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second, and I am sorry to keep bugging you but it's really your fault for posting such amazing work.:lol Did you just use the black oil paint on this with the molded part color as it came???

Yes on the RECESS(page 11, issue 19) then rubbed away the black oils, use cotton buds for hard areas to reach if you need. do the pipes etc separate. After you do that and its dry use with the Tamiya weathering master powder kits... .it helps kits B D & C are cool for oil stains, soots & rusts etc...just experiment :). Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Next shipment just arrived but inbetween waiting I've done some more of the weathering to the SPACEPORT PUMP..
d27a2ff1dc8861feb1dd4c2d4a3ba164_zpsrkqrbfpc.jpg

next it needs oil & rusts then more pipes leading to the Falcon...

d27a2ff1dc8861feb1dd4c2d4a3ba164_zpsrkqrbfpc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jaitea, finally got some time to work on this months delivery...so started with the ACCESS TUNNEL which leads to highly improbable gun turrets ;-)...
56653309ad4fd2c3429d2fd8a36efa84_zpsvayjvmmt.jpg

The new access tunnel took about 3 hours of work including sand/paint/glue etc...I'd be quite happy if l never see another passage tube pad... But there's more coming....;-)
359638c5a9cc16f03df10778624b9cb5_zpsvqpx6lkp.jpg

5d9b24d01874b2f04f7c60c5a31d3bb4_zps05cxpna5.jpg

394fe494f691c987118034b6d4d207d2_zpsabwbektj.jpg

Above the cutaway section l sanded the beams & gave it a dark metallic finish to make it look more solid for when the sections on show.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back