Also at the end I'd be inclined if I don't see a great looking finish to the inner light engine flap spaces, I'd add my own subtle touch to the Falcon as a heads up to those great model makers of the 70's.

Amazing to think those guys were a bunch of students, artists and engineers working out of a warehouse in California back in '77...
Dykstra, Tippett, et al... It must have been awesome place to be!!
It's impossible not to let your imagination and creativity run wild when you think of how those guys came up with the things we are still inspired by 40 years later...

Like your guitar string hydraulic cables... Genius!!

I'm coming back to modelling after a long time, and came up with my own little 'mod' which I was quite chuffed with and has renewed my confidence in my own skills...
A piece of super fine grit black sandpaper cut to fit the ramp walkway... Looks great!!

I guess it's just those visible part numbers (BP16/BP18/BP23) on the engine vector plates that are bugging me...
As you say, both the 32" and 5' were plain without details, so I'll see if I can find some alternative creative inspiration as well...
Let me know if you come up with anything!!

T

Yeah it must have been quite cool, on this side of the pond we had the likes of Brian Johnson, Nick Alder, Bill Person, Martin Bower (who I've know since I was I kid) working on stuff like SPACE:1999 ALIEN etc... great pioneers.

Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build

Does anyone know the missing 2 pipes to this top engine pit....?

I've seen it somewhere...!?.

Last edited:
G'day Jordan ,

Checkout ' leyrich 's ' post # 22 on page 1 of his build here on the rpf . Not 100% sure but I looks like the pipes you're talking about .

Cheers Ged.

These two. What about some thin brass rod.

_MG_4417.jpg

Correct! That's what l've been wondering?? So much difference all round with the 5ft Falcon! . . .
so checked the Sculpting the Galaxy and their on the ESB 32" gatefold it shows, l can just make out them pipes.
(taking it that the gatefold picture is the 32"). Certainly looks it.

I checked many references and the brass 2 pipes are mainly the 5ft. So little of the original 32" to check that engine pit
area...lm happy to add them tho.

Below: found the Pliers best to use, (thanks to Leyrich) but the Wire Bending Jig Jewellers Wire Bender Tools great for
big pipes in modelling. Anyway just had a go and easy work.

F7bgvztl.jpg

Last edited:
oh cool! I'll check mine tonight have the chronicles as well so I'll peek though those, it does look cool though right! They add a lot of dimension. I was looking at the sculpting the galaxy book the other day because most of the little arms have broken off the starboard side of the rear engine deck, so I was trying to verify that they were originally on there in a symmetrical fashion ( I have learned not to make symmetrical assumptions on this model haha).

nice tool! So far I have been getting by with my needle nose so hopefully they keep doing the job!

Looking cool!

Last edited:
Cheers Ktaylor, gonna add them as they do add a little dimension as you said. Must get the chronicles book someday, has it good Falcon references?.

Yeah you are right I can see them in multiple pics from sculpting and chronic now! Man nice find!!!
Here is a pretty clear pic (clear enough to see that they are there) of them from the chronicles

chronic.jpg

yeah Chronicles is pretty awesome, a much larger book than sculpting in format and pages, 314 pages

Here are most of the 32" falcon shots from it, there are some cool construction shots, overall sculpting a galaxy has those really close up shots, but I have found these full body shots really usefull as well.

now time to go add pipes to that rear pit!

IMG_2437.JPGIMG_2438.JPGIMG_2440.JPGIMG_2441.JPG

Great stuff! It's a book on my birthday list this year I reckon;-). Just waiting for my thicker 1.5mm brass rod to arrive . . . (and it's just arrived as l was typing via my postman).

Last edited:
love your techniques Darkview. thanks for sharing!!
only halfway through my deago build but when finished will def do mine the same way.
in the meantime i gave this NECA Dallas figure a little makeover using your method
brilliant!
IMG_1095b.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back