Thank you Gredo737, l describe the weathering on page 2 & 7 with pictures of the quick drying oils I use on the base model plastic etc.
When dry I use Tamiya Weathering powders if needed with a fine brush for runs/streaks.

Doing sections helps me focus on detail rather than say doing the whole underside in one go when all the parts were ready for it.

it's just how l prefer to do it with it coming in monthly parts.. If it were a all in one build then ld spray,paint & weather
in the conventional way.

Last edited:
So Dakrview, even on the outside panels you are using the factory paint job as your base coat? And then just using oils and weathering over top of that? Or are you putting down a base coat first?

So Dakrview, even on the outside panels you are using the factory paint job as your base coat? And then just using oils and weathering over top of that? Or are you putting down a base coat first?

Yes SirCharles77 using the factory base coat & with the oils & rubbing it in with fine cloth, great finish & colour.

You can thin the black out by adding white spirit direct to the surface ..makes it so manageable & reworkable as well as making life easier.

LrdSatyr8, I use Windsor & Newton quick dry oils, (see page 2 for colours/techniques/pic).

Last edited:
So darkview are you making any changes to the surface? Like dremeling out the damage marks to make them look more accurate. And if so how are you handling that regarding the base coat?

Hi, yes I've been dremeling the surfaces to look more accurate, l don't have a base coat so work straight from the factory coloured Plastic.as lm happy with it. So its dremel first then oil technique etc..

Last edited:
Also if you do use the oil with thinner do all the black weathering first then paint or spray with stencil tape the red/greys, l usually use Revell 36 matt red. Greys l mix from white & black matts. Don't do reds first as if cos when you add thinners/white spirit/black oils it will run the red.. (any half decent thinner will do, thinning the black in detailed areas spreads the oil and makes it easier to wipe with fine cloths as ld mentioned earlier in thread.

I don't always add thinners tho & it's good if you've over did a area in black..just dip your brush in a small jar of thinner/white spirit and go over the black added oil then wipe till required effect.

Just bought Humbrol matt 153 Red...it's a nicer match. Not to bright & not to dark.

Last edited:
These items are good for the many black lines to draw on (UNI 0.8 fine line permanent)., it's good to use a pencil first to make sure the areas are marked correct. I use a small bits of card or plastic to use as a ruler..gets in the awkward areas to line.
73db796625aba9a3c45b160a9256dd87_zpscgsqcqok.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it's very cool, I'm still not sure on weather to do flooring but my floor and side parts are not glued so l may yet go down that path...the cost of it don't justify it to me. especially as l will hardly ever open it...but who knows!!!

Still waiting for my late subscription so in the meantime...

I went in to my local guitar shop RIFF-RAFF GUITAR SHOP & picked up these Bass strings (all sizes) leftovers from a dude called Shaun, many thanks!!. Anyway if you have a old music shop in your location area go ask... Got enough for a lifetime of metal ribbed tube sci-fi modellling, here's a sample I've added to my main hold...
71786f8d27df13a0425a33fef5a70050_zps4dnhku8e.jpg

212e47b9f5d6b3fdf972825e7441f112_zpsdhvuj74v.jpg

Beauty of old used strings is the rusts and wear....

Last edited:
RAMP: Now I've started the ramp thought I'd show you the black Winsor & Newton quick drying oils on the plastic base (explained pg2,3).. After drying l'll add all the grey/red & streaks/ markings or if not enough picture refrence l will wait till the magazine releases the actual colour photo details they said will be illustrated later... I'm happy if need be wait till then but the basics good enough for a start... I call this Base Weathering
773a91883c5f57a62700ab31347fba66_zpsueyhsbg9.jpg

The ramp walk above on the right- dark grey l mixed from Matt Humbrol Black & White after l base weathered it.
174bd59c35bb3825274eb9cc7893e3bd_zps7odv0nre.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back