G'day DARKVIEW , thanks for your reply . Are you saying that you've only used 1 ( 37 ml ) tube of lamp black (what I've been using- W/N Alkyds ) since the start of this build up to issue 70 ( we're only on 17-18 ) over here!?. Thanks for your help/advice in advance. Ged. ;)

Yep...this is what's left of 37ml tube...still lots of use...(up to issue 70). Btw... Where's over here? Australia? Put it on your avatar info....
6ce6d7b169fb6fbef5efb6d8523e98f4_zpscbxkc45p.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers for your reply . Over here is Perth, W.A., Australia. Not sure how to update the 'avatar' info. Model building started at age 8-9, but life happened in between, and this falcon project came along (this late March-early April 2016 ) , just at the right time. It's been (30+) years, since getting reacquainted with this hobby of mine. So many new techniques and info to apply , try to use, and hopefully achieve, know what I mean. Not complaining though (just confused at times! ;). ) , having too much fun. Re: the avatar and these forums/ websites/ logs etc... Also 'new' to us!. Got me kids to thank for their help in that. Please keep posting your extrodinary work. It's guys like you, who inspire guys like me. Thanks. Ged.

P.s on a different note, but still re: this MF build, you stated that you and Mr Brian Taylor ( on his thread/ site ) , you've similar backgrounds. In professions? , I'm an industrial designer myself. Anyway just wondering if you've been in touch with him personally, cause he hasn't been posting on his site for quite awhile. Hope he's o.k., and just busy with life. Don't know if my question is appropriate and apologies if 'out of bounds '. But his site is/was also considered exceptional and inspirational. Cheers. Ged

Yes, Brian's early work was mint on the Falcon, much better than mine, l said from very early on-that his lovely (quick dry oils) was what got me into the oil weathering state you see before you ...And yes...We are both artists in the graphic art field too!! I'm working for DARKHORSE COMICS at the moment full colouring a graphic novel... You may have also seen my work in various STEAMPUNK MODELLER 2 & 3...l know it's going off subject somewhat but this is the kind of thing when all and done & photo shot... I'm doing with the finished Falcon in this kind of picture mood style...
9ba4c58bd627884f6c178f976fb59db1_zps7uts26pi.jpg

This was my work from Steampunk Modeller Magazine a few years back

Last edited:
Whoa Darkhorse eh!..'COOL BANANAS'. Great Indy publishers. Big fan. Will check out work with. Guess that explains 'some' of your eye for detail ( especially ) the colour/palette, blending stuff. Regards. Ged;)

Thanks.. I'm just lazy these days in actual model making but need the best results. Eye accurate etc, l will create the best easy on the eye weathered Falcon out there ;-) (with luck).

Had a missed delievey this week & had it resent yesterday thinking it was issues 71-74....nope but I did recieve this Revell easy snap together toy kit for under £15, took 10mins to put together...then l thought why not use the oils on it... And was quite surprised how well it turned out with only oil,small brush & paper towels... Took me under an hour l kid yee not! Still got the underside to do tho... I'm now thinking of super detailing the weathering to match his big brother...
8f46a9e73d401f3ff4b1af57669c10a8_zpsnuntwkd1.jpg

fded19e4ebe0f57b73382db3701de932_zpspdhh1cfp.jpg

4375f5d4faa88cbbee020adb8c7603db_zpst7qzlyag.jpg

Last edited:
Well, still no sign on due delivery, but lm using the free time I expected to work on the new parts to study & scratch off the red markings on the engine bay panels using a my Dremel,
I'll weather them more as it goes...kind of building it up...it's not everyone's way but works for me.
2 TIPS:
1: The red parts if your dremeling...draw on lightly with pencil for more precise scratching....then Dremel out.(study the ESB studio Falcon for references).
2: Buy a white rubber ended pencil & you can use the eraser end to create more streaks if your using the fast drying oil methods, it also lightens any over done dark areas.
2A22EB09-7D9E-4E33-BE0E-66FF6DC64A3D_zps51299oux.jpg

Below is the scratches on the Reds pencilled in after dremeling to make look more worn...
165837123ae31ef30b2faafc795583cd_zpsqfjnzhnq.jpg

Last edited:
G'day DARKVIEW, don't worry mate I'll be studiously following the builds I have from the outset ( even prior to receiving the kit here in Aus ) . Yours, Mark(warren) ?, Brian Taylor, Chis Coulson , guys from the Aussie thread S4, Hum... Too many to name. There is so much good info/help/tips , and ( most importantly IMO ), inspiration to inexperienced / ignorant ( in the sense that this build is first in over 30yrs ), people like myself. What's been a real surprise to us is how you guys on the ' internet ' , forums, threads and such, are so willing to offer support and share your experiences so graciously . Never had any real interest with this ' inter-web ' tech before ( just occasional e-mails ...maybe! ) , but you all have given me an insight into how positive it Can ,and Should be...P.s good info on the rubber/eraser thing. Will it work on oiled parts that have been ' dry ' for any length of time? , re: oils , how long do you wait before rubbing away at it to desired result , after application ? . Cheers ; ) Ged.

Cheers, helpings the name of the game & always glad to pass on info. To your question, yes it works on the dry oils too!! You have to rub in a little harder when totally dry but it's up to you if you want to do it at any stage within 1- whenever hours to do this...it's great for lightening and shades on the White/beige panels.

Last edited:
Thanks mate for info re: corrections ( weathering ) using an eraser, good 'new' stuff to add to my old concepts of what to use/try. Before I move onto the ' oiling ' of the exterior though, ( panels up to issue 18 ), please give your best advice/estimate of how long we should wait ( after applying oil paint to panels ), before rubbing off til ' own-eye ' happy with result. My girl will never be studio accurate , but she'll be completed ( hopefully ) with my best efforts. Cheers , Ged :)

You can cover then start rubbing off almost immediately...l did the panels in parts...so l covered say 3 at a time then started rubbing it off soon as... You can see here that it's just the basic weathering at this stage... Just remember to Dremel any blast points first if your wanting more realistic effect.
9afde9b68babcd3a4cd1b2ed57e69bc6_zps8ykvgr6v.jpg

Finally my delivery arrived today on my birthday so chuffed. Anyhows my girlfriend bought my a small scale Hotwheels TIE fighter that lm going to put up with my finished Falcon in my ceiling corner!! It will add to the perspective with 2 of the Revell (l mentioned earlier in the thread about its correct scale to the Falcon) easy kits for a dogfight scene.
8722114F-E5B5-4DF5-AE79-18761E079A57_zpsdx1bpnvj.jpg

This is the underside of the missile launch...(issue 71) I did in the usual oil manner then added lots of white Spirit as a wash then left to dry. It helps in heavy detailed parts I've found. I'm guessing finding weather refs for these mostly hidden part near impossible.!?
DB0859AC-40D7-4972-8554-FAA33426ED28_zpskijx6y00.jpg

below: after drying for a day...
c2f56d1c797bced34c760ea9852983a8_zpsr6y1wo0h.jpg

Its pretty certain the inner details to the mandibles would be well weathered so as it comes together may weather more...

Last edited:
Does anyone have the correct positions of the grey strips on the back of the Radar Dish, lve checked many references online & magazines and they vary to much in position/angle etc, it's the original studio scale 32" I'd like to see. Below is the 5ft radars markings...
59e63e435a5176a4b268487330c11fd1_zpsvwv2pgcg.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back