Subscribe
    From
    UK
    Oct 10, 2016, 10:17 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #751

Yeah l did too, glad you liked it...bit of a old school laugh even tho the technique isn't ;-)
  2. Member Since
    Aug 2016
    Oct 13, 2016, 7:20 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #752

Hello Jordan, i will say thank you very very much for this omegasupreme thread!
    You teach me to paint my Falcon,
    to a upperclass level.
    Greetings,
    Kuat.
    Edit: Change the Name, my mistake.
    Last edited by Kuat; Oct 13, 2016 at 6:37 PM. Reason: Wrong Name, sorry.
    From
    UK
    Oct 13, 2016, 9:23 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #753

It's Jordan btw..Well ta very much :-) ... it's all about passing on info & helping out and creating something we all love... there's some amazing works by many.
    Last edited by DARKVIEW; Oct 13, 2016 at 11:17 AM.
    From
    UK
    Oct 13, 2016, 10:50 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #754

Here's the STARBOARD detail grub screw 8/32. I got from China for the one insert with L shape (Picture 2 right) Allen keys (you can pick them up from pound shops etc).... small details…you need to dremel thro the frame first.
    Last edited by DARKVIEW; Oct 13, 2016 at 11:37 AM.
    From
    UK
    Oct 13, 2016, 11:03 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #755

PORT so far....
    From
    UK
    Oct 13, 2016, 6:29 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #756

I'll show you how to make sure the mandible headlights are totally light leak free soon as....
    Last edited by DARKVIEW; Oct 15, 2016 at 11:38 AM.
    From
    UK
    Oct 15, 2016, 11:52 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #757

Simple push into the sides of the headlight electrical back gaps white tack (1 shops). This will block out all leaks & eventually harden. l first painted all black the back before screwing in the light then added tack later, it can be easily be removed should in later time a bulb goes... the headlight stays in its place quite well for now (like above picture)

TIP: Label your wires J9 or whatever if you want quick easy tests to all the wires etc
    Oct 15, 2016, 12:36 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #758

DARKVIEW said: View Post
    Simple push into the sides of the headlight electrical back gaps white tack (1 shops). This will block out all leaks & eventually harden. l first painted all black the back before screwing in the light then added tack later, it can be easily be removed should in later time a bulb goes... the headlight stays in its place quite well for now (like above picture)
    http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/r...psx3z3fbsg.jpg

TIP: Label your wires J9 or whatever if you want quick easy tests to all the wires etc
    http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/r...psi5ohhxit.jpg
    Labeling your lines is an EXCELLENT idea, especially if you plan on running additional light sources to the main board.

Have you looked into the misalignment issue that's been shown with the mandibles yet? Is it just the add-on pieces and pipes or is it the mandibles themselves?
    From
    UK
    Oct 15, 2016, 2:50 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #759

Hi Aegis, thanks. No not heard about this misalignment issue!??
    From
    Perth, Western Australia
    Oct 16, 2016, 1:27 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #760

I think this maybe what Aegis159 is referring to, near bottom of page and fix is on the next page. That's a neat little trick with the White Tack,
    From
    UK
    Oct 16, 2016, 4:41 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #761

Cheers, yes thanks l checked your link vg mojo, I'm sure I can correct the piping etc, bit confused by what's the other problems.
    Think l need to see a clear before/after to judge!.
    Still! it's nothing that lm sure cannot be put right if wrong ...lm up to issue 87 so far so will address it come the time.
    From
    UK
    Oct 20, 2016, 1:25 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #762

Had a day off today so been working & testing the Landinglights (issues 87). Plus the Starboard/Port engine light (issues 88) systems, all AOK.

Will be giving tips on it soon if your using this method (in this thread) of oil weathering & getting full light insulation where it's not wanted!.
  13. Member Since
    May 2016
    From
    Perth, Western Australia
    Oct 22, 2016, 7:56 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #763

Jordan are you planning anymore videos? Perhaps your method/s when it comes to weathering? Either way, please keep posting and 'tipping!' Cheers
    From
    UK
    Oct 22, 2016, 4:26 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #764

Not as yet but will at some point, I'm just inbetween a weekend comic con (my day kinda job in graphic novels) at a stadium venue doing signings with other guests...

That video is basically the all about standard and practice I do to all parts of the FALCON. I will keep tipping long after finishing it tho... I've lots of other things to consider like cargo flooring grills, do l or not? Is it really worth it!?. Questions, questions as Roy Batty would say....
    Last edited by DARKVIEW; Oct 22, 2016 at 6:27 PM.
  15. Member Since
    May 2016
    From
    Perth, Western Australia
    Oct 23, 2016, 12:27 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #765

Yes!!!!..
    your finishes without ' 3rd party 'components ( eg. hold floor ) , is terrific, but, I guess like most/some of us ? you've changed/adapted certain ideals ( trying to make it ' more ' screen accurate ) on the outer hull , for example - I'm para phrasing ! regarding your build , ie changing the meteor damage ( which is terrific - as is, with what you've done ) on the outer tube-cockpit area. So far , I've purchased the Paragrafix hold & corridor photo-etch substitutes ( everything else is scratch/modded/ embellished to my sensibilities ). Decided not to try for screen/set/ 'copy ' of the 32" any longer , still trying my best though , and want to enjoy this project again ( can be stressful, with sooo many options to consider! ) . Your customisation of her hold maybe won't warrant a replacement grid floor mate, but it'll certainly ' oomph up ' it's already beautiful detail. Again with more decisions eh? My $.02 worth.
  16. Member Since
    Jun 2015
    Oct 27, 2016, 4:57 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #766

Hey Darkview I got a question for you. You are applying this oil method directly to the unpainted surface of the deago plastic parts right? So my question is, if I want to use this method on a model that must first be painted, what kind of clear coat would be best to apply over my base coat and panels so that this oil method will get the most accurate results to what your getting?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
    From
    UK
    Oct 28, 2016, 6:03 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #767

Yes to the first question. To tell you the truth I've never thought of using this method for anything else that would require a base coat.
    The method of rubbing would ruin it, definitely with using white spirit as a thinner.... lve used it on things like my pre painted BB8 l showed earlier in this thread. If I were to paint a model id do it the old (long) fashion way .... priming, paint/spraying/dry brushing etc
    Last edited by DARKVIEW; Oct 28, 2016 at 6:14 AM.
  18. Member Since
    Jun 2015
    Oct 28, 2016, 10:38 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #768

I am having an EMERGENCY! HELP!
    I created a test piece earlier this summer to test my method and it worked great. (You can see it in the pic) So I have been spending the lest few months doing everything with that plan in mind. I got the base coat done and all of the panels masked and painted and some initial wear done and everything was going great! Until I started adding oils. And now it's completely messed up and I don't know what to do!

The method I used on my test piece was tamiya surface primer, then insignia white, then scratches and scuffs, then oils. This worked beautifully.

Now when I did that on the mandible of my actual falcon you can see in the pic...it was too dark. I couldn't remember my exact process so I thought maybe I did a dull coat before I did oils. So last night I sprayed a dull coat over it and tonight I tried to apply oils and it's even worse! You can see the dark section of the hull. Using turps to try to remove the oils does nothing! I have no idea how to fix this! Please help!!!

From
    UK
    Oct 29, 2016, 2:58 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #769

What l do & show in this thread is only for the deagostini Falcon with its factory set supplied colour. (not sure what kit that falcon is your showing?).
    I'd clearly stated throughout my thread it's for factory set surfaces if it's a darn good colour match.

You may have to strip it & redo, google removing sprays, paints etc...hope you manage to resolve your dilemma
    or ask others advice in the main thread. Wish l could help more but I've never had that problem, sorry.
    Last edited by DARKVIEW; Oct 29, 2016 at 4:41 AM.
  20. Member Since
    May 2016
    From
    Perth, Western Australia
    Oct 29, 2016, 3:05 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #770

SirCharles77, had similar problems with applying ( and leaving ) too dark an oil coat. Methods that worked for me were a: rubbing selected panels ( in direction of intended flow-lines I.e gravity streaks ) , using an ordinary pencil eraser ( Jordan's idea ). b: rubbing away at said panels/areas with ' magic eraser ' made by ' Chux ' cleaning products here in Oz. Just followed the instructions and it works a treat. That idea came from Brian Taylor. I used both ' lightening ' methods on areas with/out a primer/colour applied over the natural kit supplied plastic colour. Jordan hope I wasn't stepping over the line by offering advice on your thread mate. ✌��️
    From
    UK
    Oct 29, 2016, 4:37 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #771

No not at all gedmac, l hope that Charles77 gets it sorted & any advice he'll welcome I'd expect... :-)
    From
    UK
    Oct 29, 2016, 12:39 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #772

TIP: ive been adding any small areas needing colour squares by cutting out the Tamiya Masking Tape as a stencil & painting it with whatever your preference in paints etc...
  23. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    Oct 30, 2016, 9:27 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #773

DARKVIEW said: View Post
    TIP: ive been adding any small areas needing colour squares by cutting out the Tamiya Masking Tape as a stencil & painting it with whatever your preference in paints etc...
    http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/r...psnxvaxhdp.jpg
    Uh, oh. I'm letting myself get confused again. Looks like you skipped a step. With the tape removed, the red is quite a bit toned down from the the first pic. What happened in between?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    From
    Peoria, AZ, USA
    Oct 30, 2016, 1:42 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #774

It is amazing how, with some 700+ pages of fabulous tutorial advise, and a plethora of photos of specific techniques; some here just don't get it. Or is it that reading the full set of posts is just too much for some? Hmmmm ...
    From
    UK
    Oct 30, 2016, 2:26 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #775

Ha ha yes Mike, l then just added some Tamiya Weathering Master Kit white SNOW powder within the mask or after peeling.

But you can just use any enamel/acrylic/paint whatever. Perhaps just mix a fade Red to get required tone first. I stuck the tape on a cutting board first then cut it out.
    Last edited by DARKVIEW; Oct 30, 2016 at 2:43 PM.