Fallout 4

The AI is smart, in the final fight for the castle I set up five missile turrets fed off one large genreator, and the first thing they did when attacking was take out that generator, no generator, no turrets, the turrets themselves werent even damaged.

I'm guessing rebuilding the walls with concrete foundations to keep enemies from entering the castle and getting to the generator doesn't do a damn bit of good... they probably just phase through the walls or teleport into the courtyard of the castle, don't they.

I'm guessing rebuilding the walls with concrete foundations to keep enemies from entering the castle and getting to the generator doesn't do a damn bit of good... they probably just phase through the walls or teleport into the courtyard of the castle, don't they.

They start with a full frontal assault, which my defenses repulsed without me seeing a single synth. :lol

However yes, part way through the battle they start phasing in. Very few of my defenses were actually inside the walls so it was a fun battle for me. My generators have a redundancy system though so I didn't have an issue there!

So, out of curiosity guys, what's your position on the whole "Synths are people too" view?

I sympathise with the position. I draw an immediate parallel with Data from TNG and the episodes dealing with his humanity. A machine (such as the synths) that grows beyond it's programming and develops free will I'd consider "life".

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

I sympathize with them but i also agree with institute that they could be dangerous since the self awareness wasn't planned and could be flawed in some way. I don't agree with them treating them this badly when they should be researching the self awareness.

I sympathize with them but i also agree with institute that they could be dangerous since the self awareness wasn't planned and could be flawed in some way.

No different to people! ;)

There are certainly plenty of examples in history of free will gone awry! ;)

Well it would depend on what the Institute was trying to do, but Bethesda failed to tell us that part (at least while playing as BoS)! I'd say if they were using them to infiltrate everything in the Commonwealth, then they should be destroyed. If that's so, it doesn't make sense, since Shawn said he didn't care a bit about the Commonwealth. I helped A321 in Fallout 3 though. Of course you had to to get his plasma rifle and the Institute implant (why were those not in this game for your character?!?!?!).

I haven't met a Synth that immediately tried to kill me... so unless I'm missing something there's nothing redeeming about them.

Well, yes, in Fallout 3 you do decide to (or not to) give up the chief of security to Dr. Zimmerman. And, in all honesty, I played the good side, and then killed Zimmerman. But, things felt a bit different in this regard in Fallout 3. And I think the reason is because you already have very strong slavery/freedom tones in the game and story. It simply seems just as the railroad agent describes, that the chief escaped a life of slavery, no different than a slave kept at Paradise Falls. It plays on your heart strings differently.

Much like Data does from Star Trek. ;)

But in the new game, in this Commonwealth that we see, it's not like that at all. Now, I know there's those settlers who'll be walking with either Super Mutants or Gunners, who's basically been captured and is probably gonna be held for ransom or something..........but the settler is always just walking, looking calm like they're with the group of people who have obviously captured them. You never see them bound, and you don't see slaves being sold in the fashion they were in F3. Fallout 4 doesn't have that free the slaves from those ******* slavers story going on, so in all honesty, it doesn't really play my heart strings in that way.

You get down to the Institute, and expect to see them being beaten or something. And what do you find? That they, along with everyone else, are living probably the best lives in the Commonwealth. And they didn't seem very slaved or oppressed at all. Hell, Coursers seem to rather like they're place in things, dressed all clean and nice.

The point I'm getting at is this...........I guess I'm a dick..............because I think Synths are nothing but buckets of bolts. :lol I think the railroad is a joke, and find it weird how they regard human life so little for the better of synths life. I wanna say "Hello........humans are human too! We're alive. We're sentient." But by far one of the most classic moments for me, one of the many times I would genuinely laugh out loud, was when you hear the response from Virgil after telling him you got the chip decoded from the Railroad. I was truly amused, and I share his point of view.

Sure, Nick Valentine is cool. But guys, these people never had the benefit of watching The Terminator. We did! At some point, these damn robots are gonna try to take over the world! If I could, I'd shut them all down. Except for the first generation stupid ones. We can keep them, they're too dumb to take over the world.

One thing I've still yet to determine, is what exactly is the point of the synths having feelings anyways? You'd think the Institute would stop building robots that decide they want to leave. You know, Mr. Handy's don't seem to be having this problem. You could still build an advanced synth to infiltrate stuff, and it doesn't have to have emotion. Hell, Coursers don't seem to display much emotion any way. Why make emotion, free thinking robots? You would think the smartest minds in the Commonwealth would have thought to stop giving them emotions when the first, I don't know, ten synths escaped.

Anyways, yeah, I'm a butthead. I say shut all the damn things down for good!

I think Valentine is a fluke that's why they scrapped him. His memories of being a prewar cop took over where the others they did it with just gave the enough to work with to fit in. There was a lot of room for slight variations to the endings they missed, like either taking over the institute and improving things for the synths or talking your kid into improving them before he dies.

I think the point is that they weren't designed to have free will. I overheard plenty of people in the institute saying that, and how they have no idea what's going on.

As for their life, I overhear them being berated and treated like they're nothing so despite the cushy surroundings I still sympathise. Ya, I saw Terminator, but the devastating Fallout world was created my mankind. ;)

That said, the post game world I play is the Institute one. So clearly I'm not TOO bothered. :lol

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

I agree. Actually if they had been designed to have free will they probably would be treated better, the fact that they did it on their own has the Institute terrified. Which is understandable. If my xbox suddenly started talking to me i'd crap myself and run.

All this talk about free will and the need to discover where you belong, would it not have been better if Fallout 4 had made your player character a Synth? Maybe Vault 101 could have been test to see how well Vault Tech's synths would interact with real human dwellers who were under the assumption that the synths are humans themselves. Since something naturally goes wrong, you wouldn't know about any of this until later in the game. And since being a Vault-Tech synth makes you different from the institute's Synths, it would make the game's 'Every faction loves you and wants you to join up!'. I mean, what would you believe? A group bringing in a self-aware and potentially powerful synthetic to help out in their cause, or some random person who does what every other person is doing? And you could also have each side include their own motivation for bringing you in. The Railroad because they want you to be free of oppression, the minutemen because they believe that an advanced form of AI could help make the common wealth prosper, the Brotherhood making you a knight as their means of controlling a piece of advanced technology and the institute for wanting to learn about you to help progress their own synthetics.

Plus being a Synth would give the player a clean slate instead of telling you that you're in a straight marriage, have a son and all you should care about is how to find him. Go away pathos inducing storylines. No one likes you in a Fallout game... or Mass Effect for that matter.

In the end, it doesn't matter if you're Synth, human, or ghoul...........It doesn't matter if you're free willed, or programmed to think you are...........

Because you have other things to worry about soldier!

Preston has another settlement that needs your help. So hop to it! :lol;)

In the end, it doesn't matter if you're Synth, human, or ghoul...........It doesn't matter if you're free willed, or programmed to think you are...........

Because you have other things to worry about soldier!

Preston has another settlement that needs your help. So hop to it! :lol;)

Can you un-join the Minutemen... without killing everyone?

Can you un-join the Minutemen... without killing everyone?

Dude, really??? ;)

By leaving the minutemen, you would be killing them. It would be like leaving little children all alone in the wasteland.

I'm surprised they can manage to wipe their own butts without you helping in some way. :lol

Seriously though, no I don't think you can un-join them without killing each and every one of them.

It would be like leaving little children all alone in the wasteland.

you have the option of not helping them in the beginning of the game when they're stuck up in the tower, right?
But if you don't help them you can never do any settlement building... or is there another group you can join that opens up settlement building?
I'd like to have a settlement populated by synths... they cooler to look at than the raggedy settlers than shamble into town.

Also... is there a way to tell which settler is tasked with which jobs in your settlement?

you have the option of not helping them in the beginning of the game when they're stuck up in the tower, right?
But if you don't help them you can never do any settlement building... or is there another group you can join that opens up settlement building?
I'd like to have a settlement populated by synths... they cooler to look at than the raggedy settlers than shamble into town.

Also... is there a way to tell which settler is tasked with which jobs in your settlement?

In my current playthrough I have not even gone to Concord yet. I'm level 38. There are MANY settlements that you can build at without the minutemen. The only difference is you have to discover them yourself, no Preston marking them on your map. Some of the settlement with settlers already there will eventually ask you to help them, if you hang around a bit, the same as if you were sent by the minutemen. They just skip the line "Are you with the minutemen?".

EDIT: Just go to the workshop table at the settlements and activate it. If it's one with enemies around you have to kill them all first.

And yes, in the new update you can now view what job your settler is assigned to, or if they are assigned one at all.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back