Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Melbourne
    Jun 4, 2015, 6:36 AM - Re: Fallout 4 #51

Grey said: View Post
    I wouldn't give credence to an unofficial wiki (which can be edited by anyone) vs. what the lead artist has explicitly said.
    Yeah. I've been sent the wiki link a few times. After reading Adam's quote I was 100% certain it was denim because he was the person who instructed the texture and 3D artists to make it denim. I've also worked with textiles for a number of years and leather doesn't drape and fold like that. The new suit could be leather, but F3 and NV isn't. I wrote a fairly lengthy article about it for my project blog.
    From
    Melbourne
    Jun 4, 2015, 6:53 AM - Re: Fallout 4 #52

GhostMinion said: View Post
    No, vault suits are made from leather, not demin. Not sure what about the game texture makes you think that, doesn't look like denim to me.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_jumpsuit
    The quote from Adam is included in this wiki http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Vault_jumpsuit and the full developer diary can be found here, it's a really interesting read. I hope we get a developer diary for Fallout 4, I'm interested to learn more about the weapons http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/co...ign.163925462/
  3. The Lone Wanderer RPF Premium Member GhostMinion's Avatar
    From
    Capitol Wasteland
    Jun 4, 2015, 7:06 AM - Re: Fallout 4 #53

Atomic Ladies said: View Post
    The quote from Adam is included in this wiki http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Vault_jumpsuit and the full developer diary can be found here, it's a really interesting read. I hope we get a developer diary for Fallout 4, I'm interested to learn more about the weapons http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/co...ign.163925462/

An interesting read, indeed.

Honestly, I've never perceived the texture to look like denim. I'm wondering if this was something corrected with the Hi Res textures? (never got to play with them) I'm seeing a lot of pics on Google that do in fact look like demin seams, and they look a lot sharper in detail.

I guess my biggest misconception is that the original suits from F1 & 2 appear to be a tight leather, as you mentioned in your blog. I've never read anywhere that the "Fallout 1" suits and the "Fallout 3" suits were different, so just assumed it was leather. And like you mentioned earlier, lots of people have made that connection as well.
    From
    Melbourne
    Jun 4, 2015, 7:31 AM - Re: Fallout 4 #54

Honestly, I've never perceived the texture to look like denim. I'm wondering if this was something corrected with the Hi Res textures? (never got to play with them) I'm seeing a lot of pics on Google that do in fact look like demin seams, and they look a lot sharper in detail.

I guess my biggest misconception is that the original suits from F1 & 2 appear to be a tight leather, as you mentioned in your blog. I've never read anywhere that the "Fallout 1" suits and the "Fallout 3" suits were different, so just assumed it was leather. And like you mentioned earlier, lots of people have made that connection as well.
    I thought it was leather for a while too, which was about to be a very expensive cosplay! Fallout 1 and 2 (art directed by Leonard Boyarsky) are probably not denim as they're going for a sci-fi captain hero of the future kind of look. I have some friends who cosplay Vault 13 and they've used blue stretch cotton, which gives the same look as the game model and is fairly inexpensive.

But I've taken this discussion wayyyyy off topic. After watching the trailer another 20 or so times, I'm really excited for the game. I secured some tickets to the Bethesda E3 event in Sydney, i'd probably faint if we get to see some gameplay and find out more about the story. Fingers crossed!
    Jun 4, 2015, 8:34 AM - Re: Fallout 4 #55

So how about that climate system? Finally a Fallout game with dynamic weather (rain, anyway) and atmosphere.
    From
    Walnut, CA
    Jun 4, 2015, 9:51 AM - Re: Fallout 4 #56

No, vault suits are made from leather, not demin. Not sure what about the game texture makes you think that, doesn't look like denim to me.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_jumpsuit
    The wiki article does not state explicitly that they are made of leather, just that they appear to be made of leather.
  7. Wes R is offline Wes R
    Formerly cobalt crimson
    Jun 4, 2015, 11:15 AM - Re: Fallout 4 #57

I just preordered my copy, no sign of a special edition yet but if one pops up i'll upgrade. Not release date yet either but they're doing stuff at E3 in a few weeks. A little off topic but here's a guy who writes songs inspired by games and even got one as the end of Wasteland 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HloF7F4dPNo
    Fallout songs:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnbPGqEqTIQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoP07kmKQOw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebF6Fqhq1P4
    check out his other stuff too, his song based on Deus Ex: human revolution fits the game really well. Kinda hope they get him to do a song for the next Deus ex game
    Last edited by Wes R; Jun 4, 2015 at 2:05 PM.
    From
    Lugo, Spain
    Jun 4, 2015, 5:34 PM - Re: Fallout 4 #58

Bethesda never changes!.
  9. Tholian Commander RPF Premium Member Jeyl's Avatar
    From
    Asheville, NC
    Jun 4, 2015, 6:57 PM - Re: Fallout 4 #59

Loco Max said: View Post
    Bethesda never changes!
    And ever since the recent Skyrim Paid Mod scheme that they enacted with Valve, we don't really want them to.
  10. Tholian Commander RPF Premium Member Jeyl's Avatar
    From
    Asheville, NC
    Jun 4, 2015, 7:27 PM - Re: Fallout 4 #60

There's an interesting theory rolling around that I actually quite like. The vault dweller you play actually comes from the pre-war era and the opening moments of the game (post character creation if there is one) takes place before the bombs fell. Some details that support this. The trailer has been boasted by Bethesda as using in-game graphics. If this is true, than everything we see pre-war are actual in-game assets. And any Fallout fan out there would know that every vault has a different purpose in experimenting on how humanity would cope with post-war scenarios. Having vault 111 be full of pre-war civilians woken up centuries later would be a unique twist on an already game changing twist from Fallout 2.
    From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    Jun 4, 2015, 8:21 PM - Re: Fallout 4 #61

In NV, the girl in the vault hotel inside NV makes a comment that they are leather. If your speech skill is high enough your character says something about shining the leather by rubbing it or something. I'm not sure leather would be the best material to use unless they have cows down in those vaults to make more with.
    From
    Melbourne
    Jun 4, 2015, 8:26 PM - Re: Fallout 4 #62

Jeyl said: View Post
    There's an interesting theory rolling around that I actually quite like. The vault dweller you play actually comes from the pre-war era and the opening moments of the game (post character creation if there is one) takes place before the bombs fell. Some details that support this. The trailer has been boasted by Bethesda as using in-game graphics. If this is true, than everything we see pre-war are actual in-game assets. And any Fallout fan out there would know that every vault has a different purpose in experimenting on how humanity would cope with post-war scenarios. Having vault 111 be full of pre-war civilians woken up centuries later would be a unique twist on an already game changing twist from Fallout 2.
    I would love that. Everything is amazing and everyone is living out the American dream, then panic and chaos. I really want to look around the pre-war house and neighbourhood.
  13. Wes R is offline Wes R
    Formerly cobalt crimson
    Jun 4, 2015, 10:16 PM - Re: Fallout 4 #63

I agree, it's not the first time cryogenics would be brought into Fallout as the cut out F2 EPA facility let you thaw out one of several NPC characters. While I doubt they'd do it is that the baby you see at the start is the vault dweller and that he/she was thawed and raised inside the vault. I mean even in Fallout 3 those people on Tranquility Lane seemed to be in a form of stasis to keep their bodies alive. Not to mention the freaky ass experiments that Vault-Tech was into. I did just realize that the Vault Dweller's voice in the trailer is Ron Pearlman but IMDB has no info. Ugh this makes me want to restart my civil defense collection lol
    From
    Phoenix, Arizona, United States
    Jun 4, 2015, 10:20 PM - Re: Fallout 4 #64

My first exposure to Fallout was with 3. I've got 1 and 2 on the PC now (picked up on GOG a while back during a sale or something), but haven't gone to play them yet. Kinda wonder if I'll have the patience to deal with old school games I've never played. Tempted to just read a wiki on the events of those games, not that it looks like there's really a story thread to follow from game to game.
  15. The Lone Wanderer RPF Premium Member GhostMinion's Avatar
    From
    Capitol Wasteland
    Jun 4, 2015, 10:43 PM - Re: Fallout 4 #65

Paul Andrew said: View Post
    My first exposure to Fallout was with 3. I've got 1 and 2 on the PC now (picked up on GOG a while back during a sale or something), but haven't gone to play them yet. Kinda wonder if I'll have the patience to deal with old school games I've never played. Tempted to just read a wiki on the events of those games, not that it looks like there's really a story thread to follow from game to game.

I'd recommend the first one for sure.
    Jun 5, 2015, 12:06 AM - Re: Fallout 4 #66

Having vault 111 be full of pre-war civilians woken up centuries later would be a unique twist on an already game changing twist from Fallout 2.
    Strictly speaking, Fallout 3 explored this concept already with Vault 112. The inhabitants were all frozen cryogenically and kept in a virtual reality simulation, the characters that you meet when you travel to the vault are all "pre-war" civilians kept alive in stasis.
    Jun 5, 2015, 7:43 AM - Re: Fallout 4 #67

So do you think the PC will speak this time? After playing Mass Effect, the mute protagonist seems old fashioned. If that is Ron Pearlman, it'd be great to have hime voice your male character. And get somebody equally talented for the female (but not Jen Hale - she's Shep).
    Jun 5, 2015, 11:35 AM - Re: Fallout 4 #68

The PC at the end sounds like Troy Baker. Ron Perlman is the one doing the narration on the radio and there are rumors that he has his own character.
  19. Tholian Commander RPF Premium Member Jeyl's Avatar
    From
    Asheville, NC
    Jun 5, 2015, 11:38 AM - Re: Fallout 4 #69

Strictly speaking, Fallout 3 explored this concept already with Vault 112. The inhabitants were all frozen cryogenically and kept in a virtual reality simulation, the characters that you meet when you travel to the vault are all "pre-war" civilians kept alive in stasis.
    True, but the concept was played out more of an obstacle in the middle of game rather than an over-arching storyline. No one from 112 ever leaves the vault and it's pretty much forgotten about after you free your Dad from the simulation. Playing a character who looks to have lived a real PRE-WAR LIFE and being thrown into a post-war world would still make a very unique Fallout story. Even Mothership Zeta had pre-war characters from waking up from Cryo, but like Vault 112, it's just an obstacle that's forgotten about once you're done with it.
  20. Tholian Commander RPF Premium Member Jeyl's Avatar
    From
    Asheville, NC
    Jun 5, 2015, 11:57 AM - Re: Fallout 4 #70

Victor3 said: View Post
    So do you think the PC will speak this time? After playing Mass Effect, the mute protagonist seems old fashioned. If that is Ron Pearlman, it'd be great to have hime voice your male character. And get somebody equally talented for the female (but not Jen Hale - she's Shep).
    I don't think having Ron Perlman voice the male protagonist would be a good idea. He's too much of a staple in the Fallout franchise that any other actor or actress chosen for the player character voice would be greatly overshadowed by him. It just wouldn't be fair.
  21. Wes R is offline Wes R
    Formerly cobalt crimson
    Jun 5, 2015, 1:04 PM - Re: Fallout 4 #71

I think they probably just had Pearlman do the trailer since he was already there recording stuff. I wonder what other celebs they'll get though. Fallout 3 had Liam Neeson and Malcolm McDowell and New Vegas had a few stars in it too. Wish they could get some of the actors from the original 2 games back for parts. Be amusing to find a roaming Junktown vendor who is related to Killian and voiced by Richard Dean Anderson or another BOS soldier voiced by Richard Moll.
    Jun 5, 2015, 1:12 PM - Re: Fallout 4 #72

The PC at the end sounds like Troy Baker. Ron Perlman is the one doing the narration on the radio and there are rumors that he has his own character.
    My mistake. Regardless, I really do hope they add a voice to your character.
  23. The Lone Wanderer RPF Premium Member GhostMinion's Avatar
    From
    Capitol Wasteland
    Jun 5, 2015, 1:22 PM - Re: Fallout 4 #73

blue2k said: View Post
    There is a scene in the vertibird, where you see a power armour from behind that sort of looks like the T-51b, especially the double shoulder bells. It may just be the updated T-45d though.

After watching the trailer several times, I think you're right. Looks very much like T-51b armor. Not just the shoulder bells, but the side of the helmet, too.
  24. Member Since
    Apr 2001
    Jun 5, 2015, 3:53 PM - Re: Fallout 4 #74

I know this is going to be an unpopular sentiment but, gosh, I hope that this game does not have all of the factions and weapons modifier attributes that were introduced with New Vegas. Fallout 3 was the first game I played in this series and it is probably my favorite game of all-time. While it had an amazing amount of depth, it's still retained a bit of simplicity as far as actual gameplay, and I really did not enjoy New Vegas because of all of the additional factions and similar mechanics. - if I wanted that much complexity, I'd buy a couple of d20, a sheaf of paper and a scientific calculator and play Advanced D&D.

But I know that many other people liked them as they hearkened back to the earlier Fallout games, so I assume they will be back in the new one.

M
  25. Wes R is offline Wes R
    Formerly cobalt crimson
    Jun 5, 2015, 6:36 PM - Re: Fallout 4 #75

I just noticed a few things: 1) bethesda actually took the time to make the leaves on the trees fall colored to match the time of year in the flashback, for a trailer most companies would have fudged it. 2) in the flashback there's a book on the nursery floor that looks a lot like the book you use to set up your character in Fallout 3. Probably just an easter egg like the comic books/magazines next to the armor in the garage.