Ready for falcon panel paints-colors? URGENT!

_Lee_

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys,

Just some urgent help needed as im off to my local model shop tommorow. What colors do i need to paint the colored panels? the red,yellow and gray ones.

Thanks

lee

Guess it depends on what your local shop carries and doesn't carry. Have you considered taking the sticker sheet with you when you go to try and colour match to that?

Hey guys,

Just some urgent help needed as im off to my local model shop tommorow. What colors do i need to paint the colored panels? the red,yellow and gray ones.

Thanks

lee

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=236251

if you read this thread i'm sure you can pick out some info on paint colours

please be warned there are over 97 thousand quadrillion posts about it as i found out.

in fact over half of the internet content is taken up on just the falcon colours in that thread.

true story

-z

Ive been building Falcons since the first MPC came out in 1979. Some were at about 50 so far.

Here is MY paint colors. These give you the closest match with out a lot of custom mixing.

this is also what I have used on the Hasbro Rebel Falcon and the HasbroLegacy Falcon

Gloss paint or flat, dosen't matter as you will spray dull coat any way when your done

Over all hull:
Light air craft gray Testers ratel can 2-3cns

Mat White Tamiya ratel can 2 cns

Hull plates:

Neutral Gray Testers acrylic 2oz btleMedium Gray Testers acrylic 2oz btle

German Uniform Gray Testers acrylic 2oz btle

Light Air craft gray Testers acrylic 2oz btle (this is a slightly different color than the spray can)

Air craft gray Testers acrylic 2oz btle

Insignia Red Testers acrylic 2oz btle

Yellow Testers acrylic 2oz btle

Rust Testers acrylic 2oz btle

Gun metal Testers acrylic 2oz btle

the rust and gun metal are used to tint the red to match a "red lead" primer look on the red hull plates

I use Tamiya Master weathering pastels for ALL the weathering dirt, rust ect. It's the closest you will get to an air brushed look WITHOUT using an air brush

About 4-6 cns of dull coat through out the paint process.

Hope this helps.
best regards

I have the MR falcon and insignia white from Tamiya is a close match for the main hull base color

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but...Thanks for posting the info retiredadguy...do these look correct...I am having trouble locating a couple if you can clarify...

Over all hull:

Testors Enamel Spray Paint - 1233 Flat Light Aircraft Gray - (3oz.) 2-3 cans
testors-enamel-flat-light-aircraft-gray-spray.jpg

Tamiya Lacquer Spray Paint - TS-27 Matte White - (3oz.) 2 cans ***Are you using this as a base under the Light Aircraft Gray, or misting it over the Gray to tint it lighter?
s940563549618061150_p256_i1_w454.jpeg

Hull plates:

Testors Model Master Acrylic Paint - 4757 Flat Neutral Gray FS36270 - 2oz. bottle
model-master-acrylic-flat-neutral-gray-fs36270.jpg

Testors Model Master Acrylic Paint - 4746 Flat Medium Gray FS35237 - 2oz. bottle
model-master-acrylic-flat-medium-gray-fs35237.jpg

Testors Model Master Acrylic Paint - 4614 Flat German Uniform Feldgrau - 2oz. bottle
model-master-acrylic-flat-german-uniform-feldgrau.jpg

***Light Air craft gray Testers acrylic 2oz bottle (this is a slightly different color than the spray can) I can't locate this one??

Testors Model Master Acrylic Paint - 4693 Gloss Aircraft Gray FS16473 - 2oz. bottle
model-master-acrylic-gloss-aircraft-gray-fs16473.jpg

Testors Model Master Acrylic Paint - 4714 Flat Insignia Red FS31136 - 2oz. bottle
model-master-acrylic-flat-insignia-red-fs31136.jpg

***Yellow Testors acrylic 2oz bottle I am not sure which yellow you are referencing here, did you mean Insignia Yellow??

UPDATE: Added Insignia Yellow color from additional info provided by retiredadguy..

Testors Model Master Acrylic Paint - 4721 Flat Insignia Yellow FS33538 - 2oz. bottle
model-master-acrylic-flat-insignia-yellow-fs33538.jpg

Testors Model Master Acrylic Paint - 4675 Flat Rust - 2oz. bottle
model-master-acrylic-flat-rust.jpg

Testors Model Master Acrylic Paint - 4681 Semi Gloss Gun Metal - 2oz. bottle
model-master-acrylic-semi-gloss-gun-metal.jpg

(the rust and gun metal are used to tint the red to match a "red lead" primer look on the red hull plates)

***I use Tamiya Master weathering pastels for ALL the weathering dirt, rust ect. It's the closest you will get to an air brushed look WITHOUT using an air brush Which set do you recommend there are several available??
IMG_20141007_172439.jpg

Testors Dullcote Lacquer Clear Coat Spray 1260 - About 4-6 (3oz.) cans (through out the paint) ***Do you Dullcoat each color as you paint, or after getting all the panel colors down, but before weathering??
dullcote-lacquer-clear-coat-spray.jpg

Hope this helps.
best regards

testors-enamel-flat-light-aircraft-gray-spray.jpg

s940563549618061150_p256_i1_w454.jpeg

model-master-acrylic-flat-neutral-gray-fs36270.jpg

model-master-acrylic-flat-medium-gray-fs35237.jpg

model-master-acrylic-flat-german-uniform-feldgrau.jpg

model-master-acrylic-gloss-aircraft-gray-fs16473.jpg

model-master-acrylic-flat-insignia-red-fs31136.jpg

model-master-acrylic-flat-rust.jpg

model-master-acrylic-semi-gloss-gun-metal.jpg

dullcote-lacquer-clear-coat-spray.jpg

IMG_20141007_172439.jpg

model-master-acrylic-flat-insignia-yellow-fs33538.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
***Yellow Testors acrylic 2oz bottle I am not sure which yellow you are referencing here, did you mean Insignia Yellow?? BINGO!

Snow / soot / rust and Orange rust / gun metal / silver. On the last set I just use the orange rust and gun metal.

I use the dull coat between applications of different colors. It seals the colors and ads depth as you will use at least 2 cns (cans) when you use the air craft light gray and white for the over all hull.

When using the Tamiya weather master I use Dull coat after each application of effect. i.e.. I do all the rust, then spray light coats of dull coat,(3-4 cts) It also diffuses the weather effect and seals it. then apply the soot, same thing. It doesn't matter which you do first, rust or soot. experiment on the under side of the falcon first to see how it works until you get the hang of it. I apply it with the supplied sponge applicators AND flat wedge small brushes (old brushes work good)
The one thing you need
to watch for is little brush hairs on the model.

Paint order to do the falcon.

I do NOT use Primer. On the Hasbro Rebel Falcon (primer exception in this case) I used an off the shelf adhesive primer. JUST because of the nature of the plastic Hasbro used.
When your ready to paint, I spray the whole Falcon with
Testors Enamel Spray Paint - 1233FLAT
arrow-10x10.png
Light Aircraft Gray. About one and a half cns.

After that dries, I use the
Tamiya Lacquer Spray Paint - TS-27 Matte White on the top and bottom hull only, masking the engine cutouts, with loose cut tape, along greably trough alone the cockpit tube. Starting from the center and feathering out to the edges on the round hull, then back to the center on the mandibles. You want the aircraft gray to show on the side walls and some of the mandibles. It adds to the over all effect of weathering. See my Hasbro Rebel Millenium Falcon build (BMF) using 95% Hasbro parts for an example.The first shots show the Falcon just using Light Aircraft Gray and White.
I use the
Tamiya Lacquer Spray Paint - TS-27 Matte White as Tamiya has a finer mist than Testors flat white, it is also a different type of base paint and does not mix with the first coat gives it a "brighter"white than Testors white.

The Rest are applied with a quarter in. flat brush freehand. Ive masked before but paint has a tendency to leak under the edges when you use a brush over it.

Note on the Hasbro Rebel falcon I used the supplied sticker hull panels. I think the colors are dead on with the exception of the warm gray
panels. tThose I applied then washed them with a thin coat of neutral gray.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Light Air craft gray Testers acrylic 2oz bottle (this is a slightly different color than the spray can)...

Thanks so much for all the info retiredadguy!! It helps me alot...just one more question, sorry...I'm having a hard time locating the one mentioned above, Testors Light Aircraft Gray (acrylic) in a bottle, I see one just called 4765 Light Gray FS36495 (acrylic) but no Light Aircraft Gray in a bottle? Is it in another brand or not acrylic? I'm trying my best to learn about the paints here...

Last edited:
View attachment 484473

Main hull color is not light grey, its more of a very light beige (cream ) color and Tamiya insignia white is a close match,

here's my shuttle tydirium model, the darker panels is the insignia white from Tamiya as you can see its not white at all, I have the MR falcon to compare and its a close match far from being a light gray tone.

Attachments

• DSC04578.JPG
    DSC04578.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 283
GF, I do like the look of the Insignia White...have you been able to compare the Insignia White to the DeAgo falcon parts? I have not seen the MR in person so don't know how it's color is vs. the DeAgo (which I have) and it is actually not far off of Floquil Grime (which I have a bit of)...

Tamiya AS20 US Navy Insignia White Synthetic Lacquer Spray Paint
66621.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all the info retiredadguy!! It helps me alot...just one more question, sorry...I'm having a hard time locating the one mentioned above, Testors Light Aircraft Gray (acrylic) in a bottle, I see one just called 4765 Light Gray FS36495 (acrylic) but no Light Aircraft Gray in a bottle? Is it in another brand or not acrylic? I'm trying my best to learn about the paints here...

No not the same. The bottle I'm looking at is old ands most of the label worn off.

Light Gray has a blue cast = cool gray. Light Aircraft Gay has a red cast = warm gray.

Try the Testers site. If it's listed they still make it. If not, then it might have been discontinued.(?)

GF, I do like the look of the Insignia White...have you been able to compare the Insignia White to the DeAgo falcon parts? I have not seen the MR in person so don't know how it's color is vs. the DeAgo (which I have) and it is actually not far off of Floquil Grime (which I have a bit of)...

Tamiya AS20 US Navy Insignia White Synthetic Lacquer Spray Paint
View attachment 484482

The MR is the closest match to the studio model, I've seen the original ESB Falcon at Montreal SW exhibiton and MR's colors are darn close. the Deagostini falcon is molded color plastic toyish like not accurate tone still need to be painted to achieve correct tone.

The MR is the closest match to the studio model, I've seen the original ESB Falcon at Montreal SW exhibiton and MR's colors are darn close. the Deagostini falcon is molded color plastic toyish like not accurate tone still need to be painted to achieve correct tone.

Agreed, the DeAgo does need to be painted to look correct to the studio model, I just was asking because I can visualize the color more easily if I can have a comparison that I can look at, I have never been able to see the original falcon so it is hard to get grips on the actual color.

Is there an acrylic color from either Tamiya or Testors(Acryl) that's close to Tamiya AS20 Insignia White?

Maybe Tamiya XF-19 Sky Gray?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back