New to cosplay but want to try out EVA foam builds

FuKt

hey all.

long time lurker here. decided to finally put my mind into doing a cosplay but i do not want to go into something too difficult and end up scrapping the project as i know it takes quite some time to finish a suit. i am asking for any help on where i should start on an easy build of anything really. just something to get my feet wet as i have never used EVA foam before. i do have 2 very large sheets (4 x 8 ft @ 7mm thickness) a heat gun, an expensive glue gun and glue and some very sharp knives ;)

basically just looking for someone to point me in the right direction of something easy to build for a first timer

any help would be greatly appreciated and i thank-you all for such an informative/helpful community.

The Dave

Armor seems to be the go to for EVA builds, so maybe some kind of gauntlets/shin guards would be interesting to make and are a pretty natural shape that you can't really mess up too bad. My first foam project was making a Starlord blaster with so so results, just jump into something manageable and you'll definitely find your way through it!

thank-you for the prompt reply both of you! any links to files or tutorials would also be greatly appreciated. i think i attempted that CA helmet once and gave up after a bad cut of the EVA foam. i will attempt again to see where i went wrong in the past. @Harrisomp do you have any templates for said gauntlets i could try. i was going to attempt the Iron Mark Mark III hand until i got to the "knuckle" build of Dancing_Fool's pep foamed by JF custom. i am using pep designer/viewer which i would normally use as a tutorial to see where parts go. unfortunately it doesn't provide that shortcut for me with foam. it just looks weird flat. i guess i should just go with trial and error but i am limited on where i can get foam from.

once again. thank-you both!

The Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
As others will attest, cutting foam is all in the sharpness of the blade and steadiness of the hand. Firm even strokes are the ticket to success. If you have an odd shaped piece you need to cut, sometimes it's good to practice first on a "test" piece of foam. Once you feel increased resistance, change that blade.

Good luck! Don't give up!

@Harrisomp do you have any templates for said gauntlets i could try.

I misspoke with the gauntlet suggestion and was actually thinking of bracers which are much simpler. I don't have any real templates as I tend to freehand or base shapes off of clothing which I will then trace onto posterboard to make a rough guide for cutting.

but i am limited on where i can get foam from.

completely understandable but I was just curious about what limits the availability of foam for you

And I agree don't give up! It can only get better the more familiar you get with a material.

Grimwood i do have some heavy duty knives that tend to stay sharp for awhile. will be testing them on foam to see how they hold up. and thank-you for the kind words :)
harrisonp it's not that i cannot get foam it is just finding the proper thickness. i am only able to find 10mm+ in 24"x24" interlocking mats. from what i have been reading 10mm is too thick? the 4' x 8' sheets i was able to get seem to always be out of stock near me. i also do not drive so it i hard for me to get it from other places that could be considered a 20m drive away.

i am back to work now but i will be trying this on my 4 days off. i will keep you all posted on how the CA helmet turns out.

once again i thank-you all for being so considerate and helpful. should of been more active on this board a long time ago but hey you have to start somewhere right ;)

Canadian tire sells rolls of anti fatigue foam rolls. $20.00 6mm. Walmart sells yoga foam mats 4-5mm I can't recall how much. Giant Tiger ect. ect. ect. I would start in the automotive section and check the entire store till you find it. I would also like to add for practice try making foam shapes, a sphere,a block, a pyramid, lastly an octagonal prism. This will beef up your skills for cutting angles as well as the hand-eye thingy. Good luck brother. ..GM
Just one more. You will need a variety of thicknesses for most builds so I would also incorporate that also in your practice and please post some pics. Good or not, it's nice to have a record to show how your skill level has improved...GM

10mm+ is pretty thick for use on a helmet. Usually, it doesn't bend right for the contours you need.

I like using 12mm 24x24 mats, but for larger or more angular pieces with flatter sides.

I love very thin eva foam sheets- 2, 3, and 5mm thick, from Hobby Lobby and other similar craft stores, also online from an ebay seller named wandy-foam. And cut almost exclusively with scissors instead of knives, as I find scissors to be much easier to get nice smooth cuts with especially along tight curves.
I made a tutorial for very simple batman gauntlets here with the first-time foam builder in mind that also includes a free template:
http://www.thefoamcave.com/batman-gauntlets-build-tutorial-2/

CT is where i got my 4' x 8' foam from. every time i check it is out of stock. i will make a better attempt to see what i can find in other departments. thanks for the tip on the basic shapes. i work 4 on 4 off shifts so i will definitely be searching for materials and attempting a few builds on my 4 days off so i will of course be posting some pics of what i have done. thank-you Murdoch!

cdkealey thank-you for the batman gauntlet template i will be attempting this as well. i already cut out the template at work :D and your site is amazing and very helpful! one uestion tho. is it worth getting a hot knife to cut the foam. i already have a very good dremel with 50+ bits so that will finally come in handy.

you all are more than amazing and i appreciate all that help you have given. thank-you all once again!

CT is where i got my 4' x 8' foam from. every time i check it is out of stock. i will make a better attempt to see what i can find in other departments. thanks for the tip on the basic shapes. i work 4 on 4 off shifts so i will definitely be searching for materials and attempting a few builds on my 4 days off so i will of course be posting some pics of what i have done. thank-you @Murdoch!
4 days on 4 days off what do you do for work? Sounds like something for me...GM

Here is a tip, ditch the glue gun and get some contact cement. You are able to get much cleaner seams with contact cement than hot glue.

4 days on 4 days off what do you do for work? Sounds like something for me...GM
lol. i work for a logistics company processing trucks/trailers for loblaws at the facility here in Ajax, Ontario. Believe me when i say you do not want to work here. The stupidity of some of these drivers will drive you insane :p but yes the 4 on 4 off is nice and pay is decent :D

Here is a tip, ditch the glue gun and get some contact cement. You are able to get much cleaner seams with contact cement than hot glue.
thanks man will try that for sure, any specific brand i shoudl look for? now i really cant wait til my 4 days off :D thanks again everyone!

lol. i work for a logistics company processing trucks/trailers for loblaws at the facility here in Ajax, Ontario. Believe me when i say you do not want to work here. The stupidity of some of these drivers will drive you insane :p but yes the 4 on 4 off is nice and pay is decent :D
A decent pay is always good, I'm looking at 20 PH myself...GM

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back