The Martian Space Suit

Finally got the wrist computer printed. Now to sand and paint ready to install the phone.

548f95f982c131a8dffc1de31f2cebc0.jpg

For anyone else who intends to print the 3D model of the wrist computer, I've given the pieces an initial sand to test fit everything and discovered an issue. The 3D model doesn't allow for the buttons on the side of the iPhone 5.

545e84ef409b72a7350e9af08fa1786d.jpg

I was going to adjust the model and reprint but i think I'm just going to notch a section out of the side instead.

3b3f170021e99d64a4808add49996563.jpg

As you can see, the marked section will be covered by the outer of the 2 body pieces once put together.

I printed the side pieces flat on the bed to see if they would come out ok. They're not perfect so I might try printing them again vertically. I've printed in ABS so I can solvent weld the parts together and so I might find the vertical ones warp too much to be used.

I'm also trying to decide how perfectly to make it. The original prop is far from perfect with visible print lines etc so do I make it similar to the original or do I aim for the best possible job I can do.

Are you planning to mold the parts or use the 3d prints?

I don't think my mould making or casting skills are up to the job for this unfortunately.

Got the piece cut out and the phone fitted. It's a tight fit but it does come in and out. I'd rather it was a little tight rather than being loose and the phone falling out constantly.

e640830fcd219130c24b4fee8eef407b.jpg

I got some water slide decals printed up. My plan is to paint behind for color where needed, then overlay the decal. I only have 5 sets. PM if your interested.

20170207_122217.jpg

Just throwing this out there... I plan on machining many of the suit connectors out of aluminum. If anyone is interested, please let me know! :)

I finished Up a set of the "O2 connectors" out of aluminum. Next step will be to find someplace to anodize them red. I have been thinking about making a mold and running some castings. If you have any questions, just ask. :) IMG_5925.JPGIMG_5927.JPG

I want to stress that nothing on my suit is 3d printed or CNC'd

The helmet was sculpted from foam using Captain April's 2D post. I build an MDF skeleton and sculpted the helmet from bondo and pink foam.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7472/26548752443_f41a248297_c.jpgDSC01854 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7348/27120197296_7845b6d7a4_c.jpgDSC01855 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8797/28424510522_5589bb2301_c.jpgDSC01882 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8886/28452664321_f09ff9aaff_c.jpgDSC01892 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

A mold of the rough sculpt was made and two casting pulled. One became the positive for the final helmet mold and one was made into the vacuum forming buck. The visor is 0.09" PETG pulled on our 24 x 24 inch protoformer.

This is just absolutely amazing!!!!!!!! I love the way you have done it. Helmets are like the "Holy Grail" for me because I have 0 skills for vacuforming or access to those materials, that's why when I see a piece of beauty like the it is always a *gasp* AMAZING!

This is just absolutely amazing!!!!!!!! I love the way you have done it. Helmets are like the "Holy Grail" for me because I have 0 skills for vacuforming or access to those materials, that's why when I see a piece of beauty like the it is always a *gasp* AMAZING!

Thank you very much!

- - - Updated - - -

Just a heads up. I had enough materials on hand that I was able to cast a new helmet. I will post a sale thread in the Junkyard tomorrow for it so keep an eye out if you are interested.

Thank you very much!

- - - Updated - - -

Just a heads up. I had enough materials on hand that I was able to cast a new helmet. I will post a sale thread in the Junkyard tomorrow for it so keep an eye out if you are interested.

I'm interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back