The Martian Space Suit

Nice!

Also for anyone looking for reference for the shoe-sandal-things (I'm going to call them over-shoes from now on) here is the only site I can find that makes them.

http://www.korkers.com/footwear/work/tufftrax3-in-1.html

The ones on the costume are of course custom made and it looks like they use elastic robe webbing instead of buckles to attach.

Here's the front plate of the chest harness. I assume the pull-lever on the left breast (as if you are wearing it) is a quick-release to unlock/lock the sides of the harness. It looks like the front and two side plates are attached via rivets and the assembly is attached to the backplate by some quick-detachable mechanism. Also, note the rivets on the chest harness are different from the other rivets/screws. They only have a single hole. Also note the carbon-fiber type texture underneath the quick-detach handle and on the right chest.

And lastly, there is writing on three stickers, but I can't make out what it says. There is a black sticker with gold lettering, with a warning symbol and the top line says "WARNING!". There is a second warning sticker, mostly gold with black lettering and a black border, further down. I can't make out anything except the symbol. Lastly, there's a red triangle above the quick-detach mechanism. The black bar on the bottom has white lettering and within the "white triangle" there is black lettering on all three sides, but again, I can't make it out. Might just be "DANGER".

For the "LOCK / OPEN" lettering I just used the font Arial. If anybody has a better suggestion, let me know!

The dark circle in the middle of the chest has a hole/mesh pattern, surrounded by a gold ring. I'm assuming this is supposedly where the carbon dioxide filters are, unless those are tucked into the backpack rig. The other, smaller circle is a reflective, silver connector. I'm assuming for emergency life support or something. The lighter gray shape near the mission patch sticker is also reflective silver and has 13 "ribs" or lines on it.
chest plate.png

Last edited:
Update: Pos. 6 is no 2 Slot Buckle, is a 33mm Asymmetrical Belt Buckle and has the code FC32A and not FC41A
View attachment 490194

Is this the most accurate list of buckles so far? I'd like to send a request to the manufacturer and it would be a shame if it was missing some of them. Did anyone buy these through the website? I tried looking for a way to do that but the webshop don't mention the model numbers so it's not guaranteed that you get what you were looking for.

Last edited:
Those spanner heads are also a type of security screw. If you're having a hard time finding them look in kits of other security screw sets. As a side note, they're the same as the pivot screws on the ST Enterprise phase pistol (sorry, another Enterprise reference. I'll stop now ;) )

-Max

Great input, Max. I managed to get a hold of these by searching for security screws since they're not commonly called by any other name in swedish stores. I'm now awaiting a test sample of ten screws while I also managed to get a medium sized harness on the way to my UK forwarding address.

The carabiner another member linked (don't remember your name) were a bit tricky to find since there was this Ebay glitch where Ebay showed 0 items for sale while a twitter link showed the items as active. Really strange but those are on the way now.

In addition to that I found and grabbed the last australian ebay listing of the CoolShirt and bought aditional extension tubing. The extention will be cut in half where one end will hang loose like on the suit and the other will be a quick connect for the backpack cooling system idea I got from what Adam Savage used in his 2001 incognito this year.

Edit:
I thought I'd do everyone a favor and share that idea.

Untitled.jpg

https://youtu.be/hxRoK5LZa_A?t=1m54s

Last edited:

That looks really good! But if I may suggest some things I noticed:

wrist_computer_details.jpg

Also, typo on my part. The smaller detailed inset and the bigger inset have diagonal ribbed details, not checkered like I said in the photo.

The side profile is also a little thinner and the front looks like it's a little more curved:

template_overlay.jpg

Last edited:
Do you mind sharing what brand / model carabiner you bought? I'm having a heck of a time finding something similar.

That's the tricky part. I found the ebay listing based on a google search of the watermark on the picture provided by the member here. It was useless searching for the seller on ebay as his items weren't listed when searching there so I had to google his name and sure enough I found the sellers twitter page where I found tons of working links including the specific carabiner which is an un-named brand as far as I can tell.

The closest name I can get for it is "Spring Trigger Snap Hook Metal Alloy Carabiner" which is pretty generic term anyway.

Edit:
Sorry for the large ramble, what I was trying to say is: Don't use ebay's search engine, it's broken.

I'm the one that found the carabiner and offered the ebay link to anyone who wanted it. Just can't post it because forum rules don't allow links to active ebay listings to be posted in the thread. I just checked and they still have plenty in stock.

So I definitely don't have the capital to do a full suit build, however I'm thinking I'd like to acquire the patch set and do a jumpsuit build. What is the etiquette to participating i n group builds, and purchasing things from other users here? Also, if there are any graphics that need working out I'd be happy to do some replication to contribute to the cause.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Also, I work as a painter, I'm happy to give any tips and tricks and best practices. I use 2 part acrylic/poly and lacquers and HVLP guns everyday. I have some knowledge to share and love to help educate others.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I was looking through ebay for matching belt straps and found the intended use of the buckle for the extra lashing.

$_57.JPG

The glove connectors (or what ever they're called) seem to be color matched to the orange anodized buckles, I initially looked at beryllium copper sheets and thought they looked kinda similar but a closer look made me realize they're more orange in the film.

Untitled3.png $_57 (1).JPG

I also noticed the helmet strap which might just be an unused added detail or they actually use it in the film. No idea what it is or where to get it.

Untitled4.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back