The Martian Space Suit

let me know if you want me to grab any others. its only 15 minutes from my shop.

These are awesome Frank. Would it be possible to take a photo of this bottom circled surface? Only part left of the Wrist computer I don't have an ortho reference for.

picture_request.jpg

Brief glimpse of it here. Might change the construction idea.
Hidden_Front.jpg

Last edited:
For those of you who can get to the Arclight to take pics of the screen used suit, you might want to try to grab a picture of the top of it. When I saw the movie over the weekend I noticed that there's a little detail that nobody seems to have mentioned, there's a decal, or something that says visor (& maybe something else) and has an arrow or triangle pointing to the front of the helmet. My guess is that it has something to do with whatever mechanism that they have for working the visor but never get to see used.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

so jealous of all you who live near the ArcLight in Hollywood.

I'm far overdue for a trip to California. May have to come back soon.

I took some pictures at the Arclight display for you all-

https://www.flickr.com/gp/136818694@N04/Z39H3P

Very nice, Frank. Could you try to get a shot of the hidden (probably Nautic) buckle underneath the backpack holding the strap in?

This might be too much to ask for, but in case you get the chance, get some photos of the back of the neoprene suit and some more high-res well lit shots of the inside of the helmet.

Last edited:
let me know if you want me to grab any others. its only 15 minutes from my shop.

Would you be able to look at the front center of the harness to try and determine what the buckles are underneath?

Buckles.PNG

Because I think they are the FC41A, alternatively FC40A Frame Buckles with added custom brass "pins" being the visible parts.

View attachment 536624

It likely is one of the top two, but I cannot tell from what we have seen so far.

I am sorry for you Frank but it looks like you opened up a can of worms, since you offered, can you bring a tape measure with you and just take some over all dimensions of the screen used helmet. If I were there, " I would measure the s***t out of it" to paraphrase one of the best lines in the movie.

Last edited:
Just a side note, this is an excellent in-depth article on how they filmed the movie and some of its technical challenges. Apparently they removed the helmet visor for most shots because of crew and greenscreen reflections, then put it back in digitally, with the appropriate reflections being generated or filmed separately. Take a look:http://www.fxguide.com/featured/life-on-mars-the-vfx-of-the-martian/

So, back to the suit: What's the first step? How do we get the neoprene wetsuits printed, and the vest/helmet moving along?

-Max

So, back to the suit: What's the first step? How do we get the neoprene wetsuits printed, and the vest/helmet moving along?

-Max

Soulinertia will be doing a run of the suit fabric after his patch run.

Once Captain April finishes the scale of his helmet model, I will be biting the bullet and getting it printed by shapeways for how high the quality of their prints are. Then I'll be starting a run of helmets.

I have contacted the best foam fabricator I know, Pete Mandler, to build the chest and backpack, so I can mould and cast that.

The elbow, shoulders, knees, and shin armor will all be printed and cast out of smoothcast 300 like I assume FBFX did.

Awesome. That leave the harness, boots, gloves, and wrist comp. I have a fabricator friend that makes working Pip Boy wrist comps that come with a dedicated smartphone, I could approach him to do a run of these if anyone is interested. Also, someone could make a resin Gopro Hero4 too, if they don't want to buy a real one for $500. Thoughts?

-Max

I'm thinking of doing the neoprene suit at a shop specializing in diving gear. They do custom suits and even have a metal shop I am thinking of getting the aluminum parts such as the brass parts on the valves/buckles, glove rings and "emergency oxygen" valves from. I'm still interested in getting the neoprene from Soulinertia but to have it professionally assembled at the shop.

The original helmets are vacuum formed, right? Why not make it the same way as the visor but with white acrylic?

I would like a clear image of the inside of the helmet because I think there's a construction helmet "head rest thingy" used.

I didn't think so. They have a really good 3D model of the helm, I had assumed it was printed and then cast. Aside from the visor, and those parts that look like machined aluminum, that is.

Wait the entire helmets were vacuumformed? I thought the visor was only?

Jontom quoted an article back on page 27:

Yates turned to FBFX, a U.K. special effects firm that also manufactured space suits for Yates on Scott’s 2012 sci-fi adventure, “Prometheus.” They used vacuum casting to mold the helmets; their visors were crafted by a company that makes headlights for Aston-Martin and Bentley vehicles.

There might be a difference between vacuum casting and vacuum forming though :/

So they must have modeled the helmets then printed the bucks? Weird, completely missed that. At least that makes for lighter, cheaper helmet reproduction!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back