The Martian Space Suit

I just returned from watching the movie, it has been a long time since I watched a film where smart people don't do dumb things just to move the plot along( for example every character in "Prometheus"). I loved it. Also there wasn't that high ranking ******* character who's sole purpose was to place roadblocks just to create tension. It wasn't preachy or sappy just good science and real jeopardy.

I just returned from watching the movie, it has been a long time since I watched a film where smart people don't do dumb things just to move the plot along( for example every character in "Prometheus"). I loved it. Also there wasn't that high ranking ******* character who's sole purpose was to place roadblocks just to create tension. It wasn't preachy or sappy just good science and real jeopardy.

I agree, but did they have to add the Iron Man part? Just seemed like a really stupid idea and it looked just the same :/

Overall great movie but just way too fast paced, wanted to see longer scenes of the environments and to get to know the crew a bit more.

Agreed. The pacing was way different than the book. Overall though the costume design was, as expected, perfect.

For everyone talking about / looking for the buckles: AustriAlpin's North American website is a giant pain in the ass. Note: They're based in Canada, so shipping is a little more for US folks.

I ended up getting the orange buckle from that eBay seller, the majority of the rest from ParaGear (SO easy to find everything), and then I finally asked AustriAlpin where the hell to get the asymmetrical buckles/tri-glides and was told "Oh, we have them, they're just not listed on the site. Order the Slide Blocs and leave a note that you want the other ones."

Makes no sense to me but that's what I did. Might have been a little more expensive to do things this way but I *despise* dealing with messy websites and this whole damn project is expensive af anyway.

The retail site *really* needs a makeover. No images, no item numbers, things available that aren't listed...

Weird.

Yeah their website is a pain, thats why I just emailed them. The Cobra Compact, Both Adjustable is not available on the site either, so just emailing them the whole order works best. I am going to be getting a group order together here soon it looks like, if you want in too. Otherwise I can PM you the info I have from them so far.

Just saw the film and it was excellent. The vest and backpack seem to be very light plastic if not foam, at least in one scene where he's tearing it off. Also, the watch is a Hamilton Khaki Navy Belowzero. I caught the glimpse of it and then looked it up. http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collection/khaki/navy/belowzero-1000m-auto/h78585333

Dear god, going to have to pass with that price tag.

By the way, for anyone interested in attending DragonCon 2016 as part of a Martian group, I created a Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/633142076826256/

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443937317.950176.jpg

Here are the keychains on the back of the wild country harness (my inaccurate blue one). Notice the stitching from where the Wild Country logo used to be. On my red one I'll see what it looks like with the logo on before removing it.

Last edited:
Dear god, going to have to pass with that price tag.

By the way, for anyone interested in attending DragonCon 2016 as part of a Martian group, I created a Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/633142076826256/

View attachment 536603

Here are the keychains on the back of the wild country harness (my inaccurate blue one). Notice the stitching from where the Wild Country logo used to be. On my red one I'll see what it looks like with the logo on before removing it.

I won't be able to make it to the states so my goal is to attend my local ComicCon Stockholm 2016 here in Sweden.

That keychain looks like it's a bit smaller than the correct dimension, I'm interested to see if it looks better with the Wild Country logo still attached.

I won't be able to make it to the states so my goal is to attend my local ComicCon Stockholm 2016 here in Sweden.

That keychain looks like it's a bit smaller than the correct dimension, I'm interested to see if it looks better with the Wild Country logo still attached.

The one in the film is 4.5cm and this one is 4cm.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443938882.253914.jpg

This is what it looks like over the wild country logo on my Elite harness. So it's not perfect by any means but it gets the job done.

The one in the film is 4.5cm and this one is 4cm.

View attachment 536608

This is what it looks like over the wild country logo on my Elite harness. So it's not perfect by any means but it gets the job done.

It could be good enough for a convention since people don't really have time to notice it and most photos will be of the front anyway.

And I really thought I was the only one with an Elite harness since that's the first harness I grabbed off eBay due to the seller not having good enough info and photos showing what model it was. But it's good for spare parts :)

It could be good enough for a convention since people don't really have time to notice it and most photos will be of the front anyway.

And I really thought I was the only one with an Elite harness since that's the first harness I grabbed off eBay due to the seller not having good enough info and photos showing what model it was. But it's good for spare parts :)

Yep I grabbed this and then found a site who had one red vision harness in stock..turned out they sent me blue because that's all I had lol. But I just got another red one on its way. I'm willing to sell both the red elite and blue vision to someone who wants to paint them/kitbash them into one harness.

The keychain is a good start but if someone does make one that's perfect, brass, lower quality, etc, then I'll definitely go with this. But that's not high on my to-do list when we still have to tackle the armor, helmet and undersuit

Yep I grabbed this and then found a site who had one red vision harness in stock..turned out they sent me blue because that's all I had lol. But I just got another red one on its way. I'm willing to sell both the red elite and blue vision to someone who wants to paint them/kitbash them into one harness.

The keychain is a good start but if someone does make one that's perfect, brass, lower quality, etc, then I'll definitely go with this. But that's not high on my to-do list when we still have to tackle the armor, helmet and undersuit

My priorities are something like this:

1. Acquire buckles.
2. Get the neoprene suit.
3. Complete the harness.
4. Helmet, chest rig and backpack.
5. Details like coloring, metal valves, brass covers for nautic buckles etc.

It's my first time making any replica and this is a very large project but I'm optimistic :)

Hopefully its cool to link directly to my Google Spreadsheet but I emailed them and got this info including prices: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KsjSCyTQzlggWQ3ut94nfPx0aF50oCBjRl1VWHrYXOg/edit?usp=sharing
//

I'm having trouble locating some of these tri-glide buckles. Like the six FC42A and five FC32A.
Did you add the two 45mm Asymmetrical Belt Buckles at each side of the Cobra Compact? Because I think they are the FC41A, alternatively FC40A Frame Buckles with added custom brass "pins" being the visible parts.

screenshot-downloads.austrialpin.at 2015-10-04 13-34-45.pngmartian-gallery3-gallery-image34.jpg

Last edited:
I'm having trouble locating some of these tri-glide buckles. Like the six FC42A and five FC32A.
Did you add the two 45mm Asymmetrical Belt Buckles at each side of the Cobra Compact? Because I think they are the FC41A, alternatively FC40A Frame Buckles with added custom brass "pins" being the visible parts.

View attachment 536624View attachment 536625
Yeah, looks like I confused myself. Few mistakes updated:
I had the 33mm ones as asymmetrical on accident. Then originally the orange and silver smaller buckles were thought to be the same size I think, so I merged them to get to 5. Now I have them separated out.
For the 45mm ones I took the 2 silver on the front, and then the 2 orange, one on front one on back, and merged them together as well. Then I added 2 more when I remembered the two you are pointing out.
I split those two out now, since it is hard to tell what they are. They may actually be asymmetrical, since they are hiding under the webbing. Without someone getting to handle the suit, not sure how well we will be able to tell. I will dig through the videos / pics to see what I can find out from them, but don't think there is much to go on.

Now I chose to put the counts for the orange ones in there, because I think we have no choice but to order them in silver and dye them some way to get the oranges. I just don't think there is enough interest to group buy the oranges at a 500 piece minimum. If it were something like 100 min I would have no problem with doing it, but 500 is too steep.

Yeah, I really doubt we'll reach the 500 minimum. For what it's worth, I could go for 25 of them (if there's a chance to actually make it to 500) otherwise I'd have to stick to painting them myself or find someone that can do a custom anodizing.

I managed to figure out how the webbing is made and I have to say it's clever and stupidly obvious. They went for herringbone webbing which also goes under the name "soft herringbone tape" and "Horse Blanket Binding". It's interesting because it can me either cotton or acrylic that is supposed to "feel like cotton" as advertised. What they got was two sizes, one 45mm herringbone (the V-shape) for the Nautic buckles + Cobra Compact at the belt, and another (guessing 25mm) without the herringbone weave as the Molle.

I can't upload pictures now, but at the front where the webbing goes from 45mm to 25mm they just folded it and sewn it double thick where it is 25mm. It's not obvious at first glance which is brilliant!

Edit:
And I just can't find the right one :(
It's either not 45mm and grey or it's 45mm and every color but...

Last edited:
Don't think you are supposed to link eBay directly, but yeah that's the first thing I checked after seeing the watch actually being part of the suit. $750 is a whole lot better than $1800+ but don't think I can ever justify that for a mostly hidden part of the costume. It would have to be a stellar everyday wear watch too, and since I don't wear one at all...

Might have to model one and 3d print something close enough. Or just skip the watch altogether.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back