The Martian Space Suit

Sorry, Max. I really can't recall if it was the Omega Speedmaster.

I'm curious as to whether there are both 25mm and 28mm orange anodized buckles and which one would be screen accurate. I noticed Contactleft still got some 25mm orange anodized buckle sold as dog collars (more than 10 available) as of writing this.

$_57 (3).JPG$_57 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Okay I have an update for anyone who is ordering buckles directly from AustriAlpin

I emailed them I was still looking for the orange 28mm buckle and the 45mm compact buckle with double female ends. I sent them the product numbers that are listed in their catelog (FC25B and FC90BV). I then got an invoice from them for the buckles the product numbers were FC25OVF and FC45KVV-XL. I asked why they were different and sent them a photo of the buckles that Soulinertia has posted and this was their response:

"Hi Wes,

Sorry for the confusion, the codes you sent were ones from a few years ago, I speak new code so that’s what I entered.

FC45KVV-XL = FC90BV
FC25OVF = FC25B

Thanks,
Kyla"

The only difference is that the 28mm orange buckle is now powder coated not anodized.

I'm currently working out a complete list of the correct buckles, would you mind sending me yours for comparison?
I would like to be a part of some sort of bulk order but I fear it might be cheaper for me to get the buckles directly from Austria instead of the US.

I also got a response from FBFX regarding the webbing:
"Hi Andreas,

We've spoken to the associate costume designer who actually oversaw the construction of the entire suit.
The woven V webbing you are asking about was chosen for its weave then custom shaped and sized. The red details were printed on.
Sorry we can't be of more help!
Cheers

FBFX"

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently working out a complete list of the correct buckles, would you mind sending me yours for comparison?
I would like to be a part of some sort of bulk order but I fear it might be cheaper for me to get the buckles directly from Austria instead of the US.

I also got a response from FBFX regarding the webbing:
"Hi Andreas,

We've spoken to the associate costume designer who actually oversaw the construction of the entire suit.
The woven V webbing you are asking about was chosen for its weave then custom shaped and sized. The red details were printed on.
Sorry we can't be of more help!
Cheers

FBFX"

Yeah once I receive my order I'll do a breakdown of every buckle and their product number and how much they were directly from AustriAlpin. I'd recommend ordering them all at once because shipping was $15. I had to order a couple discontinued buckles from a German retailer.

That sounds great, WBE :D
I hope you got your order correct.

Anyone having any plans for the neoprene suit yet? I've been thinking of how to make each "panel/pattern/segment" of it to be sure it's correct and so far my best idea is to make a suit out of a temporary fabric and then bring those patterns to the wetsuit professionals.

20151003_014016.jpg

Sorry, Max. I really can't recall if it was the Omega Speedmaster.

I'm curious as to whether there are both 25mm and 28mm orange anodized buckles and which one would be screen accurate.

View attachment 536307View attachment 536308

I've seen the same buckles labeled as both 25mm and 28mm. There are different styles though.

The pic above shows a few of the different sizes:

Left to right: 20mm, 25mm, 25mm, 38mm, 45mm, 45mm Nautical.

Some Great reference here.

Pants at 8:41 are cool. Especially the knee pattern.

So I finally found somewhere that had the harnes it's now on its way happy days so what's the situation with the buckles I'm finding it hard to get them

So I finally found somewhere that had the harnes it's now on its way happy days so what's the situation with the buckles I'm finding it hard to get them

I managed to buy the wrong model and after that I found a two year old used harness which is quite beaten up. Gonna see if I can restore it or else I'll have to keep looking for another. I don't think the size really matters since it will be disected but I don't know at which points they differ in size.

I managed to buy the wrong model and after that I found a two year old used harness which is quite beaten up. Gonna see if I can restore it or else I'll have to keep looking for another. I don't think the size really matters since it will be disected but I don't know at which points they differ in size.

man that sucks but i hope you get that sorted my one hasent arived yet but it said it was the red one i hope it is haha

Hopefully its cool to link directly to my Google Spreadsheet but I emailed them and got this info including prices: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KsjSCyTQzlggWQ3ut94nfPx0aF50oCBjRl1VWHrYXOg/edit?usp=sharing

Quantities are what I believe it takes as of right now, including dyeing the silver tri-glides orange. I will end up ordering extras in case I mess things up, but looking at about $165 + shipping for all but the 28mm.

We can custom order the anodized tri-glides (not the 28mm buckle though) however its a 500 piece minimum for them, and it would take a lot of interest to afford that. i would love to do it, but don't think there is enough interest. Depends on how many people are willing to pay for just to get the couple they need.

It would take 250 people to get the 500 if everyone only want the two needed for one suit. I'll make sure to see if this list need any changes once I get off from work.

The price seems really fair in comparison to going eBay-only purchasing. But for me it would be $165 + US shipping + forwarding service, which might seem bad but I think it might still beat the European price :p

I have not ordered yet, because I am still deciding on how many extra I want, but if you want I can order them for you and then mail them out to you. It would only cost the shipping from me to you. Rather than having to pay for US shipping plus forwarding service.

If anyone else is interested, the offer is open as well.

My funds are a bit dry until my next salary at the end of this month. If you're willing to wait we got a deal :)

I went ahead and bought that dog collar which was pretty pricey for just one tiny orange buckle, but it's one of the more visible buckles so I really hope it was worth it.

I have not ordered yet, because I am still deciding on how many extra I want, but if you want I can order them for you and then mail them out to you. It would only cost the shipping from me to you. Rather than having to pay for US shipping plus forwarding service.

If anyone else is interested, the offer is open as well.

ill take a batch for one suit shouldent need extras if you planning ordering the buckles thay would have to be shipped to the uk if thats alright once you get them

Forgot there was additional 2 tri-glides under the harness in the front. Updated the count on the spreadsheet, which brings it up to $170.

I am fine shipping wherever, doesn't bother me. Looks like USPS small flat rate boxes are ~$26 to both of you. Not sure where I might get some cheaper shipping from, but will look around. If I get more interest I will probably split it off into another thread somewhere.

Forgot there was additional 2 tri-glides under the harness in the front. Updated the count on the spreadsheet, which brings it up to $170.

I am fine shipping wherever, doesn't bother me. Looks like USPS small flat rate boxes are ~$26 to both of you. Not sure where I might get some cheaper shipping from, but will look around. If I get more interest I will probably split it off into another thread somewhere.

yea thats fine for me im in Bedon

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back