The Martian Space Suit

Check it out, it's a hatchback :D

jsc2015e083483_alt.jpg

http://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-s-...of-the-spacesuit-astronauts-will-wear-on-mars

So I took a closer look at the webbing that holds the Austrialpin Compact buckle part and it seems to be the same herringbone webbing as on the Nautic Cobra buckles but two (or more) sewn together making it four layers going through the custom brass parts next to the Compact buckle. That's a lot of webbing.

Screenshot_2015-11-16-17-10-52.png

A close up of the thickness shows how thin this webbing is.

Screenshot_2015-11-16-17-11-38.png

And the core is black and thick, almost like they sewn the thin webbing onto neoprene.

Screenshot_2015-11-16-17-28-17.png

Last edited:
The Orlan is actually a direct descendant of the Krechet suit. But the Russian suit has the life support internal to the pressure shell, while the american suit uses exterior life support (aka, it's in vacuum)

Those are awesome. I have a bunch of extra webbing from this first batch I ordered, which I was looking for something to do with. I think I just figured it out. Thanks for the inspiration.

The article actually mentions "raised-ink patterns" so I looked further into it and found that High Density Screen Printing (image) looks like what's used for both the grey circuitry pattern and the ARES III print top right on the chest.

simple.png

Attachments

• simple.png
    simple.png
    165.5 KB · Views: 104
I was wondering if I could please get the STL files for the wrist computer? I want to make a martian spacesuit and I also think that this would look cool for everyday use. Also, can this hold an iPhone 5 inside? Thanks and great job. @sain

I would like to weather mine with actually dirt / sand. Just need to find somewhere on the east coast that comes close to the right color...

For what it's worth, I work at a pet store and there are several different colors of sand available all the time.

Actually, the calcium sand used for reptile cages tends to stain pretty easily, something having to do with the dye. I don't think they're the right color in the bags but if you bought two, say, a red sand and a brown sand, and mixed them you might get better results.

Has anyone completed a buckle list for the suit? I saw some work done, but I don't think it was completed.

I think Bedon292's Google spreadsheet is the most accurate list of buckles. I've done the count myself and I believe there to be a total of five Nautic Cobra buckles if you include the one that might be hidden underneath the backpack (no confirmation that there even is one there). They all seem to have their own custom brass male parts but it doesn't matter when ordering because there's no option to buy only the female part of the Nautic buckle.
Good news everyone! I talked to ContactLeft on eBay and they have now added back the orange buckles to their store! The ones for the back of the pack. Not sure exactly how many they have, but I bet we can buy them out. Find them on eBay by hand, or view my parts spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KsjSCyTQzlggWQ3ut94nfPx0aF50oCBjRl1VWHrYXOg/edit?usp=sharing) for it.

I was wondering if I could please get the STL files for the wrist computer? I want to make a martian spacesuit and I also think that this would look cool for everyday use. Also, can this hold an iPhone 5 inside? Thanks and great job. @sain

Sorry for the delay, the model is done , I just need to orient the STL's properly and export for everyone. I haven't heard anything from the people who I gave the original files to to test print, so I'm assuming they are good to go.

Also correct, it is sized for an iPhone5 or 5s.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back