The Martian Space Suit

I got the stl's. Going to print them tomorrow. But just wondering if you or anyone else has any ideas on what the type of strap is on the biomonitor (wrist computer). Thanks.

Those do look really close to the shape of the devices on the helmet.

Initially, I thought it could be a rangefinder of some sort, but white light came from the black ring and the rectangular portion below it. Further, a blue/violet light is emitted from the rear of the device. Then, I started looking for helmet and bike lights. However, the helmet lights all were too militaristic and the none of the bike lights I found had the blue/violet light feature on the back.

I am stumped as well. I've spent many hours paging through images of bike lights, helmet lights, and rangefinders. The more I think about it, it probably is a custom piece, either a modified camcorder/light or a fully custom 3D printed piece.

Cheers,
Ben

Maybe it could be the waterproof housing for a camcorder but painted over.

I don't have a template but I have been playing around with a model of the backpack.
Backpack.JPG
Needs to be refined, I haven't added all the panel lines.

Wanted to post these... Used photoshop and lots of images to try to make life-size templates of the armor pieces, excluding the chest/back and arm computer.

Here is everything I could see. I'm not 100% on the foot plate, some photos it looks like the edge facing the toes is straight, some images it looks like the corners are angled like the edge facing your leg. There are rivets on almost everything, as well. And the ankle piece looks like it has a duplicate underneath, possible connected by the rivets on the top plate.

The shoulder and knee armor look to be riveted right onto the suit.
View attachment 519543View attachment 519542
The elbow armor has rivets, but it looks like a big elastic band keeps it in place. Maybe both?

View attachment 519540

The bigger ankle piece has three buckles that go around and the skinny, small ankle piece, along with the foot plate, are hooked onto the shoe-sandal-cleat webbing.
View attachment 519538View attachment 519539View attachment 519541
These were made with photoshop and sized against a 3D model of a human form I made and took an orthographic photo of. The 3D human was sized to my height and the pieces then scaled to fit with reference photos. My printer is out of ink, otherwise I'd check them for realsies so they may be off slightly or so. The honeycomb pattern on the photos is just to represent the inset, tiny honeycomb pattern on the costume armor. Maybe carbon fiber?

MoviesColin If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? This is so I can know if I have to do some scaling or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to upload some logos I have been working on for the Ares 3 on Watney's EVA pack. One has a transparent background and the other has a black background.Ares 3 Logo Transparent 2.pngAres 3 Logo ver. 2.png

Been out of the loop of the build for a little while but plan on still finishing this by May 2016. Hoping for a fabric run by soulinertia soon!

Hi all! First post, been lurking on this thread for a while now & finally have some information to contribute.

The font used in the Ares III patches, logos, etc is Halogen by Positype. For those with Adobe CC, it's available in Typekit. I found that the bold-face looked best.
Ares-3-logo-teaser.jpg

I'm still making some tweaks, but it's nearly done.

Peter

Was watching the behind the scenes, and I guess the suit was "aeroprene" rather than neoprene. Is that actually a thing, and if so any ideas where one would source that? I can't seem to find much about it.

Last edited:
Was watching the behind the scenes, and I guess the suit was "aeroprene" rather than neoprene. Is that actually a thing, and if so any ideas where one would source that? I can't seem to find much about it.

http://www.koogaitaly.it/cat/Kooga 2008_2009_2pdf_48.pdf

It looks like it might be a brand name? Or just a UK term. It seems like its still basically neoprene.

Oh wait, found this:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcb...ic_id=70294&mesg_id=70294&listing_type=&page=

So, its like the "new" neoprene?

Aeroprene seems to be a trade name for micro-perforated, breathable, neoprene rubber. People forget that Neoprene is a type of rubber which can be made everywhere from 100% solid to a light foam. It probably is just open cell neoprene foam with regular perforations throughout.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back