The Martian Space Suit

A glimpse of what's underneath the backpack, how the helmet connects and a high res shot of the backside of the helmet :)

Screenshot 2015-09-09 15.13.21.pngScreenshot 2015-09-09 15.15.27.pngScreenshot 2015-09-09 15.16.45.png

The locking mechanism seems a little complex.

Last edited:
That image also shows an interesting epoxy filled serial number, decals surrounding some screws, a missing screw and underneath the metal valves there's the raised text saying "EMERGENCY OXYGEN"

Nice Andreas!

When things quiet down here in a couple of weeks I will get to work some more on this project.

My plan is do do the helmet last, but I will need the snoopycap,. nice side shot there, showing details on the velcro and mic.

Wow, really good reference, I will have to rethink my helmet, what I thought was part of the helmet is really the neck connector ring.

What you don't see however is how the neck ring is connected to the seal, and I'm thinking it might not be connected at all but that would make an exhaust at the back unnecessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice Andreas!

When things quiet down here in a couple of weeks I will get to work some more on this project.

My plan is do do the helmet last, but I will need the snoopycap,. nice side shot there, showing details on the velcro and mic.

It's nice to see how far down the cap goes and that the com cables run down his neck.

Ahh, now I see the com cablel. Cheers Andreas.

computer-glove.png
Epic amount of reference. Great way of getting hype for the movie without showing anything from the actual movie.

Is anyone sharing 3dmodels yet?
I want to try and testprint this one at work. Would it work better with an iphone 6 or 6+? :)

Cant really tell what the glove armour is made of,. I was thinking of hammering and painting leather,.

The glove also has to fit on the inner ring. The rings seem to be custom milled and fastened with a set screw according to the video.
I just got to work so I can't pull up more screenshots.

Ahh, now I see the com cablel. Cheers Andreas.

View attachment 526412
Epic amount of reference. Great way of getting hype for the movie without showing anything from the actual movie.

Is anyone sharing 3dmodels yet?
I want to try and testprint this one at work. Would it work better with an iphone 6 or 6+? :)

Cant really tell what the glove armour is made of,. I was thinking of hammering and painting leather,.

I noticed that a new Raspberry Pi 2 touch screen has been released, think that would work?

FYI: Looks like Damon is not sitting around; filming the next Bourne sequel while we're still on the Martian.:cool Guy is always working!

bourne-2016_zpsmwlfsasl.png

In this shot you can clearly see an air supply hose, best way to keep the visor clear and the actor cool is forced air. Therefor no intakes needed.
Air Supply.jpg
The collar ring doesn't appear to be attached to anything, in many promotional photos it's left attached to the helmet. Here's a screen cap from the second trailer( launch scene), you can see the actor's neck in this single frame, with all the movement in the scene it wouldn't be noticed, but it shows that the ring is free.
Actor's neck.jpg
Why would they do this, one, it's not real, and two, the actors will not be restricted by a bulky neck attachment.

I noticed her forehead strap has the same print as part of the suit and also in a previous picture of Watney holding the helmet I noticed that it looks like a typical motorbike helmet "buckle" or what ever it's called, with the little red plastic release you know.

I am going to leave the internal head harness to you guys building the real helmet to figure out.
Helmet close-up-01.jpg
That thing could cause major Helmet hair, no wonder they wear skull caps.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back