Need tips on making fake stones for a wall

Tatooine_Todd

Sr Member
I am building a display and want it to simulate stone walls. I don't want to use any real stone product due to weight issues. I decided to cut flat, pink insulation board to shape instead. Got the idea from seeing headstones done in a similar fashion.

Need a couple ideas/suggestions:

1) What type of paint can be used on the insulation?

2) What can I use to simulate grout realistically?

3) What's the best way to adhere the insulation "stone" to the wood?

Thanks,
Todd

I did my fireplace like that. Here's the method I used:

2" thick sheets of styrofoam insulation from Home Depot were rough-cut into stone shapes, then glued to the wall using wall tile mastic.

After the stones were all dry, I mixed up a batch of thinset, and gave them all 2 skim-coats, filling in the "grout lines" a little with each coat.

After the thinset was dry, I airbrushed multiple colors to simulare rock "grains".

Here's a link to some of the early stages of the project. I'll try to get you some shots of it finished.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/naugtyj/album/576460762348604149

Last edited:
I once saw some mock stone tiles in fiberglass at a builder's supply store. But that was some time ago, and I have no idea where to get them now.

easy use large sheets of 2" styrofoam to make walls using a basatard rasp cut brick or stone pattern.Then gently , using a spritzer bottle for 409 or equivelent, sprits thinner in quick burst all over the foam......thinner starts eating the foam forming a natural rock look then spray foam with latex or acyrilic paint to finish look. It worls really well and has been used for many years on sets...or not :)
Will

Craft stores have adhesives for styrofoam products. Most craft spray or industrial spray can adhesives will work. test a scrap to make sure it doesn't eat the foam.

Anpther pproduct that is good for preping styro for paint is called "hodgepodge" it is a waterbase gesso that seals the foam and gives a surface that acrylic paints adhere to nicely.

if you want to give the surface a rough coat look, I've sprayed naked styro with a lite coat of clearcoat spray. The solvent in the spray paint will cuase the styro to craze and alligator. Trick is learning to apply the correct amount as it takes a few minutes for maximum affect on styro and a too early reapplication to surface may over do the process.

Apply latex paintable caulk between stones and finger trowel-sculpt to the desired look of mortar. Sprinkle with sand for texture. Shake off excess when caulk dry and paint desired mortar color.

Keep that styro away from any heat source! Even heat from a 60 watt bulb can ruin it.

All of these sculptures I made from foam covered in thin mixed plaster, or even a large tub of joint compound you can get at Walmart. Then I used acrylic washes, dry brushing and several weathering techniques to achieve the stone effect.

This one is 8' high and simulates a limestone look.
Sculpture.jpg

sculpture2.jpg

Another one using the same technique.

Fragment1.jpg

Here's one that simulates a different kind of stone, still using acrylic paints with multiple washes and weathering.

Chac2.jpg

To simulate grout I would use spackle or joint compound between the foam blocks, coat it with something so the paint won't stick to it so when you do the weathering of the simulated stone it won't stick to the "grout".

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back