Luc Besson's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Post-release)

Re: Luc Besson's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

I'm just glad its a movie and not another lame TV show that has a great first season and then is crap for another 5 seasons. LB is a great film maker, even Lucy which is kind of dumb is still watchable. Clive Owen and Rutger Hauer surely is a good sign

I just saw the trailer for this the other night watching Dr. Strange and I have to say that I'm really looking forward to this movie. I'm completely unfamiliar with the source material so I'm going into this with no preset expectations, only what I saw in the trailer and what I saw looked to me like The Fifth Element on steroids, and that's a good thing. It's like Luc Besson took everything good about The Fifth Element but threw more money at it and made it even better.

So last weekend i attended Comic Con Portugal, and we were treated with almost 10 minutes of exclusive footage from Valerian.
First of all its looking amazing, the character design is superb and the VFX is looking kick ass.
Slightly concerned about character development BUT the scenes we saw were much richer than the trailer so i'm hopeful.
The Fifth Element vibe is definitely there. (one of the questions asked was if Valerian was the Spiritual Successor of T5E and the producer Virginie Besson-Sillas confirmed it.)
To add fuel to the fire, new footage/trailer is coming next February.

Besides all that, i'm going to start building my own Valerian Armour soon, so if your planing something similar feel free to contact me, i would love to connect and exchange :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Guys, you HAVE to get yourself one of the comics, graphic novels before that phrase had been coined. Rich of graphics, full of mystery and character and diversity in designs.

The movie MAY be a bit too much of everything, which is my biggest fear. The source material usually blew you away with very pointed and well-placed moments of amazement and grandeur in designs, whereas today, with all the potential visual effects and digital tools at the command of a director, we do not get too much time to really admire one design before shown the next one. I really like Luc Bessons movies and, it has been said before, the creator of the Valerian comic strip had a huge hand in creating 5E, so it is like coming full circle that Besson now made Valerian.

Never heard of it before, but this is a *must see* for me! :)

Never heard of this before, but it looks interesting I guess. As long as there are no prophecies or chosen ones in it , I'll check it out.

I just saw the trailer for this the other night watching Dr. Strange and I have to say that I'm really looking forward to this movie. I'm completely unfamiliar with the source material so I'm going into this with no preset expectations, only what I saw in the trailer and what I saw looked to me like The Fifth Element on steroids, and that's a good thing. It's like Luc Besson took everything good about The Fifth Element but threw more money at it and made it even better.

Hmmmm.....all i'm getting is The 5th Element, John Carter and The Phantom Menace.......

Rich

Wow, Lucas just flat out ripped the Bikini design off didn't he?

Everyone get out your 'Tens Generic SF Film Plot/Pace/Resolution/Aesthetic Trope Bingo Cards... we'll clean up with Valerian. Shame. The source mat is very good.

I don't particularly care for Dane DeHaan, or the demographic they seem to be aiming towards with Cara Delevigne and Rihanna, but the world looks interesting enough. A little shiny CG for me though, lacks the "lived in" look.

Reading the wiki on the original comics it looks like Lucas borrowed a ton of stuff not just the slave costume. I agree this movie looks way too shiny and CG. Might check out the comics though.

wow,how can you not be impressed by this film.pure science fiction and fantasy.
can't wait to see this....more than once!!!

Don't go to many opening days much anymore but will be there for this, wow.

I know that Besson was influenced not only by the graphics of Valerian, but also Moebius (also French) in designing the looks of his new movie. (The 5th Element was also very Moebius as well).

Im in for sure. But yea, got a little Fifth Element, John Carter and GOTG rolled into one.

Its not surprising it looks like so many other films, Weta Digital has done alot of work on this and Guardians OTG II ,so the rich level of colour and design is in keeping with that. I was not as much of a fan of the graphic novel artwork as I was of "Lone Sloane" and "Yrageal" by Phillip Druillet, or "The Metabarons" which some of this reminds me of, but I think this looks fantastic. The direct european sci fi influence on the French director is not really surprising given what he must have been reading back in the day ,and the stories were usually strong if not a little bit more surreal than what usually comes from across the pond. It definitely has the more of that fun pulp sci fi vibe of the late sixties, though wonderfully updated. I'm really looking forward to it. But then I really liked and enjoyed Leon, T5E and Lucy.

I know that Besson was influenced not only by the graphics of Valerian, but also Moebius (also French) in designing the looks of his new movie. (The 5th Element was also very Moebius as well).

Yes, absolutely Jean Giraud (Moebius) and JC Mezieres were close friends up to Giraud´s death two years ago. They were the avantgarde in scifi comics designs from the start, they worked together on Fifth Element. I just looked it up, they first met in the mid 1950ies at art school.

http://www.tor.com/2012/03/12/moebius-the-visionarys-visionary/

God, I love their work. I think I have to move the books and graphic novels to my office, for inspirational purposes *ahem*

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back