Winter Soldier Arm Sculpt/Mold

Thanks , I am honestly really, really happy with the way the shiny silver paint with high gloss clear coat came out. Your advice was great and it turned out IMO so good. It is plenty shiny.
If you're happy with it that's all that matters. This really did turn out awesome man. Looking forward to seeing the articulated version. :thumbsup

Thanks , I am honestly really, really happy with the way the shiny silver paint with high gloss clear coat came out. Your advice was great and it turned out IMO so good. It is plenty shiny.
I just pulled the second cast to make one that articulates better and think I will keep with the same paint plan.
I really don't want to take the chance of ruining the mold this soon.

Ya if you're satisfied then keep it going! Im really excited to see how this turns out when it moves with you... Maaaaybe we get a vid of it?

Ya if you're satisfied then keep it going! Im really excited to see how this turns out when it moves with you... Maaaaybe we get a vid of it?
Thanks! I could do a vid of the current one but there would not be much movement. I will keep posting as the second version progresses.

If you're happy with it that's all that matters. This really did turn out awesome man. Looking forward to seeing the articulated version. :thumbsup
Thanks again, going to hopefully start cutting and trimming the second one this weekend.

This turned out awesome. Great job!
Thanks reaton89, I have seen a couple of yours lately on here and they are so good.

Arm version 2 with some movement.
Will hinge the elbow so it all stays in place ,but this is close.
2015-08-09_09-28-19_634.jpg2015-08-09_09-37-29_787.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool work. I did a much more remedial arm last year with craft foam and worbla. I was thinking of redoing it with a clay sculpt, mold, and foam latex sleeve. Have you ever thought of running foam in your mold?

Cool work. I did a much more remedial arm last year with craft foam and worbla. I was thinking of redoing it with a clay sculpt, mold, and foam latex sleeve. Have you ever thought of running foam in your mold?

Thanks!I looked into it briefly but painting latex/getting the silver color seemed to be a big challenge. Getting a decent finish on the 65d was challenge enough.
I do like the idea of a more flexible arm. Let me know what you find out I might try it if it wont ruin the mold and a decent color can be attained.
The second one I made had enough mobility to do just about anything needed though

Just curious... how do you make this arm "stick" to you? A harness? Form-fitting? I am JEALOUS... I am an artist, but have no idea how to sculpt/cast. This is a beautiful study of anatomy besides being fricken awesome.

kcail1

Just curious... how do you make this arm "stick" to you? A harness? Form-fitting? I am JEALOUS... I am an artist, but have no idea how to sculpt/cast. This is a beautiful study of anatomy besides being fricken awesome.

kcail1
Thank you. it was not an easy undertaking but me and my kids got a little winter soldier obsessed there for a bit. I was going for the look of the illustrated arm so I had that as my anatomy guide . There was a time when this thing sat in a corner as an arm with clay lumped onto it., I didn't know where to begin. then one day I slapped on the tricep muscle and that gave a point of refence that I made everything else around.

As for the "stick to me" part I learned on this build to keep it simple don't overthink: so it just has a one inch elastic strap that buckles in the back to adjust the tension.
it hooks in the front top, goes under my arm, around my back and to the bottom of the back flange. sticky Velcro on the arm, sewable Velcro on the strap to attach the strap to the arm. keeps it in place perfectly and also has some give when I move.
I hinged the 2 parts with elastic as well at the elbow that use the point at the back of the arm as a hinge .
I also had lot of great advise here as well, cant say thanks enough to all the helped me.
2016-01-12_21-22-33_855.jpg2016-01-12_21-23-19_408.jpg2016-01-12_21-31-31_424.jpg

Attachments

• arm strap 2.zip
    933.8 KB · Views: 80
That is so neat. The movement looks good in the shoulder area for a solid piece. My arm is made from duct tape and formed EVA foam and I have the problem with the flange over the shoulder blade popping out of cut off arm hole. I must say your costume is much more screen accurate than mine. Great work. Very nice.

kcail1

Great job, could you use the same process for a hand?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thank you!

probably could but there would be no mobility. the 65d is pretty rigid.
you would have to segment it into plates and cut the fingers at the joints.
then you would have to attach the plates and fingers to a base glove or something.

I just spray painted a tight fitting rubber glove chrome and put a black fingerless over it.
I have to re spray the base glove every so often but I blends nicely with the arm and looks pretty good to me.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back